Newbies on this forum - rather long, and maybe comet-like ;) (Read 1169 times)

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

So how does a newb know to do the research instead of simply popping into the Running101 and asking a question, which would seem to be the natural inclination? It would seem like a good FAQ sticked at the top of Running101 would help. Speaking of which, how does everyone out there pronounce FAQ? When I read it, I see Fah-Q, which isn't too far from "Fock You", which obviously is just a short hop away from "F*ck You". So then it becomes -- "It would seem like a good F*ck You sticked at the top of Running101 would help." Hey, I kind of like that.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

#artbydmcbride

I pronounce it Eff- Ay- Kue.

Runners run

Scout7

Round and round it goes. No one wins. And like Chewbacca said, it just makes some of us less likely to post anything of use to anyone. Mr. Globule, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul. MTA: I'm going back to my hole.
        jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

MTA: I'm going back to my hole.
          Sweet. It worked exactly as planned.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

xor

Yes but....just doing research means you miss out on the camraderie and the neighborly chit chat! And maybe miss a boobie hug or two. I think the experienced oldies should just HTFU and post golden responses over and over (or cut and paste them). Smile (my 2 cents) Cool
            Folks, you really don't want to miss out on the rare boobie hug! It's worth it. As for FAQ, it's split 50/50. I pronounce it Fack. I used to pronounce it F*A*Q. I also used to think that when you turned the TV off, the actors stopped acting.

C-R

I pronounce it Eff- Ay- Kue.
              <hijack> Don't mind him. He's a UM guy and they don't teach/use proper English. If you need further proof listen to any UM football player interviews. Can you tell its almost college football season? Let the trash talk begin. and there was hope to kill this Merry-Go-Round discussion since both sides have dug into the trenches and are now hunkering down for the Arden winter. </hijack>

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
              "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

JakeKnight

So how does a newb know to do the research instead of simply popping into the Running101 and asking a question, which would seem to be the natural inclination?
                Sometimes, they shouldn't know. But sometimes, well ... Common sense would seem to work rather well on that one. For example: there's a current thread on VO2 max. That's arguably a beaten dead horse, but there's no way for the OP to know that. Her question makes perfect sense (although I hope somebody points her to some of the ancient and wonderfully detailed threads on the topic ...). And topics that complex probably need to be brought up frequently, to refresh everybody. But a basic question on shoes or music or long run pace? C'mon. Common sense. Forget the search function, just look at the screen. There's probably already a question just like yours staring at you. (shrug) I'm an expert at nothing, so my opinion doesn't count for much. In my opinion. Ha. But I do know that the real experts are noticeably absent in these threads nowadays. For what its worth, there are people here that could tell you that via e-mail I've spent plenty of time answering questions, at length. Or helping people find the answers, from actual experts. But on here, I'm with Scout. I give up. There's just no way to win.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                -----------------------------

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Teresadfp

One day at a time

It's "fack," of course.

Old, Slow, Happy

I'm an expert at nothing, so my opinion doesn't count for much. In my opinion. Ha. But I do know that the real experts are noticeably absent in these threads nowadays. For what its worth, there are people here that could tell you that via e-mail I've spent plenty of time answering questions, at length. Or helping people find the answers, from actual experts. But on here, I'm with Scout. I give up. There's just no way to win.
                    Here's a man that knows what's up!! I have gained an even greater respect for JK. If (when) I start an unadvisable (in his opinion Big grin) thread, I will appreciate his response. I have seen a number of threads repeated several times and have only been here a year. JK is good at responding along with Trent, Zoomy, Ennay, and others. I appreciate any input even if it's critical. I think all this makes a great community. Thanks to all of you, Big (old) Richard