shoe advice - please! (Read 870 times)

hairshirt knitter

Hi, I live about 2 hours drive to the nearest running shop, so have to rely on mail order for shoes - not ideal, I know. I have flat feet, overpronate and am ~20lbs overweight. Getting back into running after a long break and it has been going pretty well, but for a fair amount of aches and pains in my legs and feet. I have problems with the joints in my big toes, probably bunions. I have been running in Saucony Grid Stabil MC5 which are now at least 2 years old though they don't have a huge number of miles on them - they feel done. I'm not sure where to go next. I always used to run in Asics 2xxx, then went through a mix of all brands for a few years. Although the Asics are not a stability shoe per se, I wonder if the motion control Sauconys have really helped anything much? Most of my running is on gravel trails and packed dirt/gravel at the side of the roads, and I'm steadily building the distances, going very slowly! So I need a stability shoe (probably?), with a wide-ish toebox but a normal heal. I feel I would like some degree of cushion until my weight comes down. What would you recommend?
    RunsForCake

I'd suggest driving the 2 hours to the running store....at least once...so you can get properly fitted. After that you'll know exactly what type of shoe your need and can reorder via internet.

hairshirt knitter

You are probably right, but a 4 hour round trip for shoes... and to be honest my experience of running shops in the past has been hit and miss. Usually there are some knowledgeable staff and then there's the trainee :-) and guess who I get serving...

Old, Slow, Happy

I would get to the store if at all possible. I have very flat feet and over-pronate very much. I have been running in the Brooks Beast. It gives the the perfect amount of control for me. If your feet are duck foot flat, they might work for you. My Physical Therapist feels they are the best motion control shoe. Remember: nothing works for everyone. I went to my running store and learned that my feet are now size 13. When I started running 5 years ago I was size 12. That's why I recommend that you go to the store to get sized. Good Luck!!!

hairshirt knitter

I don't think that they are so flat really, and those were the first real motion control shoes I had bought. I'm not sure that they helped much though?
              I have similar issues and I've been wearing Saucony Omni Grid 6's. I went to the 7's and they weren't too bad but not great. I have recently moved to New Balance 769's which seem to be working for me. ***crosses fingers*** The NB are not as stiff as the Sauconys and give me more cushioning. But everyone is different. I can relate to not wanting to go to a running shoe store because despite good advice, it really comes down to fit since we are all different. Since you already need a stability shoe for the over-pronation it might be a bit of trial and error to find the right ones. You should probably get a half size or full size larger than your regular shoes though. That's what I have to do and I have overpronation, bunion, flat feet. Black eye I'm not sure whether you want a motion control or maybe stick to a stability shoe - I think they are different. We need Zoomy to join the conversation. Smile

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

We need Zoomy to join the conversation. Smile
                Eh...I'm sick of shoes. I'm sick of companies overhauling their product line so that nothing fits my duck feet. Yeah, my experience with shoe stores has been pretty hit-or-miss and I live an hour from the nearest full-service running store. The problem I mostly run into is that I generally need a wide and many stores don't carry my size...or a model that once worked for me is revamped and doesn't fit, so even trying it on does no good. I think Running Warehouse has some thing where you can videotape yourself running on a TM and send it to them and they will help match you up to the right kind of shoe, though you still can't try it on, of course. They also don't take returns of used shoes. I would look at RoadRunner Sports. If you have an idea what works for you biomechanically and your size you can at least buy a pair and return them if they don't work, even after wearing them for a month or so. I think you may have to be a VIP member to do this, though. Your feet sound like mine...and a few months ago I would have recommended NB, but I won't any longer. They have recently retooled their shoes (went from the "SL-1" last to the "PL-1" performance last) so that pretty much all of their stability models come to a point (whereas the toe area used to be more rounded and roomy) and even through the balls of the feet are too narrow. I would need an extra wide in their current line-up...which is nuts. I have a pair of Mizunos that are mediums and are roomier than a pair of comparable WIDE NBs. I have tried 3 of the most recent NB shoes and ended up with blisters on the sides of either my big or small toes depending upon where the toe-boxes cut across. Perhaps Sauconys would work for you. I like the overall fit of those and several of their models come in wides, but they seem to be incompatible with my achilles area.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Tom Bollinger

If I were you I'd just bite the bullet and go to the shoe store. I never get a new style / brand of shoes without trying them on first if I have the opportunity. You HAVE to get shoes that FIT YOUR FEET. If the shoes do not fit right you will end up with a whole medley of problems: blisters, IT band issues, anything that will keep you from running your best. Remember... Happy feet = happy runner Big grin

Certifiably Insane

Yeah, I'd have to say to put me in the "get thee to the shoe store" line. But, I get it about a 4-hr trip just for shoes. I'd try to plan some kind of family outing to that city for the afternoon, around the stop at the store. I wouldn't drive that far just to try on shoes, either. But, taking my boy to a good zoo, or to some other attraction there, or even to run a good race in that town while I'm at it...Those I could do. That would make it worth the drive. You said your current pair of shoes is about 2 years old. You don't want to be stuck in a pair you hate for the next two years. Try on as many different pairs as you can, and take detailed notes of what you liked and didn't like, as well as prices. If you can't find the models you liked online when it comes time to order, www.runnersworld.com has resources to help find similar shoes. I always try to keep an eye on the sale items at www.eastbay.com I've always had good experiences ordering from them. You were commenting on not being sure if your support shoes did the job for you. One way to tell is to put your shoes on the kitchen table, pointing away from you. Look at them from behind at eye level. Do they lean toward the inside? Roll the shoe onto the forefoot a little. Does it rock toward the inside? If either of those is a yes, you may need a shoe with more support. If not, you may have either just enough support, or a little too much.
                    On the road since 1978! "To be good is not enough when you dream of being great." I am not obsessed! I'm just INTENSE! "Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool." Why? Because race results stay on Google forever! (Reasonably recent) PR's: 5K - 16:40 10K - 35:04 HM - 1:18:30
                    Purdey

Self anointed title

Eh...I'm sick of shoes.
                      Things you never thought you'd hear.

hairshirt knitter

Thanks folks, yes the current Saucony motion control shoes I'm in rock to the inside. I guess I need to go try shoes on. I went to a 'sports' shop closer to home yesterday (45 min drive!) that just had a couple of pairs of shoes, but nothing suitable really. Maybe I'll go through to the Running Room in Halifax, they are open until 9pm so maybe I could make time.
                        RunsForCake

Maybe I'll go through to the Running Room in Halifax, they are open until 9pm so maybe I could make time.
                          Think of that time spent traveling as an investment in your running career. It would be a shame to cut it short due to injury from improperly fitted shoes.

Menace to Sobriety

You are probably right, but a 4 hour round trip for shoes......
                            Better than spending 4 hours at the doctor's office.

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

Better than spending 4 hours at the doctor's office.
                              Absolutely. Call the store ahead of time and tell them you're driving 2 hours each way and you want the MOST knowledgeable person to help you. Make an appointment with them. I'm sure they'll do that. Good luck.

RunsForCake

Eh...I'm sick of shoes. I'm sick of companies overhauling their product line so that nothing fits my duck feet. Yeah, my experience with shoe stores has been pretty hit-or-miss and I live an hour from the nearest full-service running store. The problem I mostly run into is that I generally need a wide and many stores don't carry my size...or a model that once worked for me is revamped and doesn't fit, so even trying it on does no good. I think Running Warehouse has some thing where you can videotape yourself running on a TM and send it to them and they will help match you up to the right kind of shoe, though you still can't try it on, of course. They also don't take returns of used shoes. I would look at RoadRunner Sports. If you have an idea what works for you biomechanically and your size you can at least buy a pair and return them if they don't work, even after wearing them for a month or so. I think you may have to be a VIP member to do this, though. Your feet sound like mine...and a few months ago I would have recommended NB, but I won't any longer. They have recently retooled their shoes (went from the "SL-1" last to the "PL-1" performance last) so that pretty much all of their stability models come to a point (whereas the toe area used to be more rounded and roomy) and even through the balls of the feet are too narrow. I would need an extra wide in their current line-up...which is nuts. I have a pair of Mizunos that are mediums and are roomier than a pair of comparable WIDE NBs. I have tried 3 of the most recent NB shoes and ended up with blisters on the sides of either my big or small toes depending upon where the toe-boxes cut across. Perhaps Sauconys would work for you. I like the overall fit of those and several of their models come in wides, but they seem to be incompatible with my achilles area.
                                *threadjack* Have you checked out Joe's New Balance Outlet online yet? You may be able to pick up some older models with the last you like. They carry models that are years old and it is always a bonus because they are cheaper. Big grin