Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2018 (Read 704 times)

Blair that sucks. One injury ive not had but i do suffer achilles problems.

Flavio our self defence is running away right haha no need for fighting skills.

Jaime nice job on the TM runs. Thanks i was happy with that impromptu half. Good to know i have maintained some ok fitness.

Meeting up with Mark in the morning. Hopefully i can keep up with him 😁

Just bought some Niike Zoom Streak 6 for $50 at Dressmart in Auckland which is a steal.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Hey everyone, sorry for not posting in a long time. My foot is still acting up on me and I'm not running at all right now. About to start PT, although I'm highly doubtful it will do anything. Pretty down and out. Pretty sure I won't be running the NYC Half, or if I do, it'll be more for the experience than time. Main goal is now to get healthy and start running again soon so I can have a healthy base before training for the NYC full in November.

Anyway, since it's a new thread, here's my bio:

Male, age 31, living in New York. Ran in high school, albeit it relatively poorly (all my times now are better than they were then). Started up again a few years ago and have been continually building up annual mileage and knocking down PRs. Last year was my most successful year to date, hitting PRs in every single distance. As I alluded to though, I'm banged up right now with some odd foot injury. The pain is traveling around my foot. Doctor says it's nothing serious, but I can't run without pain, so I'm just fully in rest mode right now.

My 2018 goals have been revised given I'll be on the shelf for at least a couple more weeks. For now, I'd be happy just hitting a marathon PR in November. Any other PRs that come along with that training would be nice.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

watsonc123

JMac - welcome back.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

Jmac welcome back. That sucks about your injury. It seems like there are alot of niggles going around right now but i guess thats distance running ! Ran with Mark today and we are both very impressed with your training and results last year. Thank goodness you got that 2.54 marathon done before the injury !

Met Mark today at the Auckland Domain and did a few kms on the grass. Was great to catch up. He runs so efficiently while im straining away 😀

Marky_Mark_17

JMac - welcome back and bummer about the injury.  Hope you get it sorted soon.  Like Piwi said your NYC marathon was awesome, everyone is excited to see you back at it again once the body is ready.

Flavio - I also generally try to avoid getting in street fights regardless   (but if I do I would like to have you and Blair there as back-up considering I have zero MMA training haha)

Good run with Piwi around the Domain this morning.  I got a stitch for the first time in ages when we gave it a nudge for a couple of km, it was actually good because I noticed the stitch and not my ITB haha.  It was a hot humid morning and the Domain has these weird microclimates where one area feels like a sauna and then you run 100m and all of a sudden it's nice and cool so maybe that had something to do with it.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Out of curiosity, what's everyone using for training plans? At least those of you who are using a plan that I could emulate (likely not a coach or personally- created one).

I've never actually trained specifically for a HM before, so I'd like some guidance.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Thanks guys, means a lot that you were impressed! I'm feeling a bit more optimistic after today's session. I did a combination of physical exercises plus some needle work, which usually does the trick for me. There's just something in my foot that is locked up in a way and continues to cause pain. I'm hoping after 4-6 sessions of this, I'll be back to normal. It's really interesting how it works though, because most of the needle work is done away from the foot (mainly the hips) in order to fix the kinetic chain. It totally makes sense to me because I've never had lower leg problems in my life, but if something in my hip is totally messed up and causing foot problems, I would totally believe it.

Keen - I'm a big Daniels believer and follow his plans for both HM and FM.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

JamesD

JamesD

Zero - my mileage for the week, the first time that's happened in over a year.  I've been sick all week.  In bed Sat & Sun with flu-like symptoms that I mentioned last post, but I was getting better.  Monday I drove my son two hours to Atlanta for the college football national championship game.  We wound up standing outside in windy, just-above-freezing weather for three  hours before getting into the stadium. The last 90+ minutes we were waiting in the rain for security checks because the president was attending.  After all that, It was a very good game, even though Michael's team lost on the last play of overtime after leading most of the way.  Quite a spectacle too.  Before the game, Michael got to meet his team's best player ever (Herschel Walker, for those of you in the U.S. who follow football), who I had last seen in person winning the 100-yard dash and the shot put at the 1979 Georgia state high school T&F championships.

Anyway, between the before-game cold and driving back afterwards in the middle of the night, I was wiped out when I got home and spent the next several days in bed.  Antibiotics are helping, & I should be able to do some easy running in a few days.  When I went to the game, I figured this might happen, but being retired and being almost a year away from my goal race meant that the downside wasn't that bad.  For a once-in-a-lifetime experience, it was worth it.

Post-1987 PRs:  Half 1:30:14 (2019); 10K 39:35 (2019); 5K 19:12 (2017); Mile 5:37.3 (2020)

'24 Goals: consistency, age-graded PRs, half < 1:32

James a 3 hour queue sounds tough although worthwhile for the good stuff you experienced. Hope you get better soon.

Commanderkeen Ive only used a plan twice, Pfitzinger Advanced Marathoning book 18/70 plan for both my marathons which was pretty good for half marathons also. For half marathon training I would tweak to less emphasis on long runs and more on tempo runs at half pace. I think 15 mile long runs are pretty good for half training with a 4-6 mile tempo and VO2max intervals in the week.

Jmac good to hear you are getting some solid treatment and hopefully back out there soon.

My week. My legs were toasted monday/tuesday after the fastish half on sunday. Managed to recover enough by thursday to get up to speed for a run with Mark. 3 good hill days too so pace and mileage better than appears below.

Weekly Summary
                      Monday, Jan 08, 2018 thru Sunday, Jan 14, 2018

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                      Mon 5.0 9.30 Beach recovery Link
                      Tue 5.0 8:55 Morning Run strava
                      Wed 6.8 10:33 Papamoa Hills strava
                      Thu 6.5 7:19 Auckland Domain with Mark Paterson strava
                      Fri 5.0 8:33 Beach jog with swim strava
                      Sat 5.9 9:02 Papamoa Hills strava
                      Sun 6.8 10:15 Pap Hills with Paul strava
                        41.0 9:10    

Marky_Mark_17

James - hope you are feeling better soon, sounds like the game was a great experience though and totally worth it!

Piwi - nice week and good to see you smashing those hills again.

JMac-  it's crazy how the symptom and the cause can end up in two totally different places like that!

Me- solid week although I cut today's LR short as the heat/humidity was just unpleasant (dew point 19C).  Nothing by Flavio's standards but I was definitely finding it hard work, and had a very good track session on Saturday too so my legs were a little tired from that as well.  The ITB has improved to the point where it's not quite 100% but not really causing me any problems either.  We're off to Canada for a couple weeks holiday next weekend, I'll probably have lighter mileage there as there is no TM in the accommodation and limited roads to run on - but it should still be fun getting some runs in there!

M: 12km easy

T: weights

W: 13km easy

Th: 11.8km with Piwi with a couple of fast km's on the grass

F: weights

S: 11.1km track workout with 5 x 1km / 400m jog: 3:42, 3:28, 3:19, 3:04, 3:13

S: 24.1km long run (cut short due to humidity)

Total: 72.1km

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

watsonc123

Jamie - get well

Piwi - good week.

Mark - enjoy your trip.  Given how warm NZ summer has been, the snow is going to feel mighty cold.

My week was pretty good.  Managed to do 4km (2.5 miles) more than the week before.  Tuesday intervals (just 5 * 400m) were pretty good, started a little slow but sped up.  Thursday's tempo (just 3km) were pretty comfortable.  Did the longest run since October today.  Both intervals, tempo, long run and total volume are just going to be slightly increased slowly over time (although Tuesday and Thursday were a repeat of the previous week).  Last year I just increased too quickly, so I won't repeat that.

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                          Day Miles Pace Description Link
                          Mon 5.0 8:36 Evening Run strava
                          Tue 4.9 7:45 Evening Run - Incl. 5 * 400m circa 10k pace strava
                          Thu 5.0 7:51 Morning Run - tempo 4.0km-7.0km strava
                          Fri 5.0 8:03 Morning Run strava
                          Sat 5.0 7:46 Afternoon Run strava
                          Sun 8.7 7:57 Evening Run strava
                            33.6 8:00  

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

watsonc123

I think a bit warmer than 12C is ok.  I find that hitting about 20C is the point when it really gets worse, and then each degree adds a lot.

Mark enjoy your holiday. Dont break anything snowboarding 

Flavio ouch on the neck. I sometimes put mine out turning my head too quickly or sleeping with it wrong. Its always annoying as it happens when you least expect it.

Watson nice increase in your weekly running. My son got into Wellington Uni for a 3 year Batchelor of Arts in film. Hoping he can pick up part time work in the film industry there too.

I took a rest day yesterday as i wasnt feeling like running and my calf needs a day off. I managed to upload all my strava log into here as they like your logs viewable on here to help with training advice. Im not sure I can get it to send my runs daily though so need to look into that ?