Must Pass Cooper Fitness Test Help (Read 3363 times)

Since you're new to the site, I'll feed you some insider info.  Nobby is wise. 

RunningAHEAD is a tremendous resource, I wish I had found it earlier in my running.   Check in often, and you'll get great feedback and support.  Best of luck to you IO.

E.J.
    Greater Lowell Road Runners
    Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

gregw

I think we need a time trial here.

I agree.  14:33 is 2:25 per 400m.  Go to a track and see how many 2:25 laps you can run.  I also agree with Nobby on shoes.

It occurs to me to ask why you left it until you had only 1 month to train for the test? Or perhaps you weren't give the information that you would be expected to take it?

Anyway, if you are in reasonable health and somewhat fit it should not be too difficult- as others have suggested, I would do a time trial to see how much (if at all) you need to improve in the time you have. Then you will have a better idea how hard or easy it may be.

No advice on shoes from me, staying away from that one!

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

I agree.  14:33 is 2:25 per 400m.  Go to a track and see how many 2:25 laps you can run.  I also agree with Nobby on shoes.

My assessment is that the guy "walks" a mile and he's 50-years-old.  He may be blessed with some natural talent and he may be able to get to 9-minute pace rather quickly.  I've seen people who are struggling to go beyond 12-minute pace.  It's all individual.  Suppose he's average but hadn't done much; I'd say if he goes out and try to run a full lap at 9:50 pace, he'd go oxygen debt at around 250m going around the half way into the second curve.  If he's getting oxygen debt going around the turn, I'd say his HR is rushing at around 180.  If all the guy had been doing is a mile WALK, I wouldn't want to take any responsibility of the consequence.  Let alone trying to see how many 400s he could do!  I'd say start with 200m and see how that feels first.

BadDawg:  Thanks, flattered.  Ask my wife, though.  She'll tell you otherwise! ;o)

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Yes, it's very individual!  I'm 47.  I struggle to get below 11:00 pace even when I'm running 30 mpw (which I'm not doing now).  I really try hard, too, and I'm not overweight.  Sigh.  I'm just glad my kids didn't get my "slow" genes.

DirtyGraceFlint

The Crap Whisperer

Yes, it's very individual!  I'm 47.  I struggle to get below 11:00 pace even when I'm running 30 mpw (which I'm not doing now).  I really try hard, too, and I'm not overweight.  Sigh.  I'm just glad my kids didn't get my "slow" genes.

+1

I did the C25K program for 12 weeks and ran my first 5k at a pace of 9:76...but I am chubby and have no natural talent and I'm a chick. Just get out there and get some runs in...you can push harder since the distance is fairly short...I think you have a good shot at this.

Being the best tiny spec that I can be!

The King of Beasts

"As a dreamer of dreams and a travelin' man I have chalked up many a mile. Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks, And I've learned much from both of their styles." ~ Jimmy Buffett

"I don't see much sense in that," said Rabbit. "No," said Pooh humbly, "there isn't. But there was going to be when I began it. It's just that something happened to it along the way."”

xor

wrong+e.

DirtyGraceFlint

The Crap Whisperer

I'm totally ripped under this fat layer...SRSLY!

Being the best tiny spec that I can be!

Muebele

My suggestion is starting to do two things:

First: start walking longer distances.  If your goal is 1.5 miles, walking one mile will not get you there.  Start walking 2 miles.  I don't think doubling the walking distance is going to effect you that much (as long as you have good shoes)

Second, start jogging.  After increasing the distance, start jogging for one minute and then walking 2 minutes.  Try to do that for the entire walk.  Going for more then 3 miles total isn't going to help you. 

Once you do that, your focus should be jogging more each day until you can jog the entire 2 miles. 

Then your focus should move to increasing the pace. 

THis is doable, but it will not be a cake-walk.  You need to put in at least 4-5 days a week. At least one day a week, take off or just walk.  And make sure you warm up and cool down

Hannibal Granite

My suggestion is starting to do two things:

First: start walking longer distances.  If your goal is 1.5 miles, walking one mile will not get you there.  Start walking 2 miles.  I don't think doubling the walking distance is going to effect you that much (as long as you have good shoes)

Second, start jogging.  After increasing the distance, start jogging for one minute and then walking 2 minutes.  Try to do that for the entire walk.  Going for more then 3 miles total isn't going to help you. 

Once you do that, your focus should be jogging more each day until you can jog the entire 2 miles. 

Then your focus should move to increasing the pace. 

THis is doable, but it will not be a cake-walk.  You need to put in at least 4-5 days a week. At least one day a week, take off or just walk.And make sure you warm up and cool down

Not to be to sarcastic, but how do you warm-up or cool-down from walking?  Or even jogging slowly for that matter? The whole workout regimen you prescribe for the OP is basically learning warming up.  I agree it is a good, though conservative, way for the OP to starty BTW.   If the OP does some 200's like Nobby suggested then he should walk/jog for a few minutes before and after, but that's a different story.  

"You NEED to do this" - Shara

Maniac

Thanks for being positive !!!! Would you mind if I stay in contact with you each day ? I need a good coach and being as though I love my job I don't want to fail. My son is overseas and would be here to motivate me if he could.

Thanks,

Tom 

Hi Tom....If you're talking to me, sure, by all means stay in contact.  You can keep posting your progress on this thread (in which case you'll get lots of comments and support) and/or you can message me with the little envelope.

Looks like you are getting lots of advice....And at this point I'm guessing you might be a bit overwhelmed.  Don't worry.  Just take it easy.  I agree with Nobby....Don't go trying to run all out around a track to gauge your fitness...That's a good way to get hurt.  Walk/run a bit...See if you can build up that mileage....Maybe try a half a lap (200 meters) around a track to see what it feels like to move a bit faster.

Report back and let us know how it's going.

Marathon Maniac #6740

Goals for 2015:

Run 3 marathons (modified:  Run 2 marathons--Lost Dutchman 02/2015 and Whiskey Row 05/2015)

Run a 50-miler (Ran a 53.8 mile race 11/14/2015)

Run 1,500 miles (uhhh...how about 1,400?)

Stay healthy

gregw

My assessment is that the guy "walks" a mile and he's 50-years-old.  He may be blessed with some natural talent and he may be able to get to 9-minute pace rather quickly.  I've seen people who are struggling to go beyond 12-minute pace.  It's all individual.  Suppose he's average but hadn't done much; I'd say if he goes out and try to run a full lap at 9:50 pace, he'd go oxygen debt at around 250m going around the half way into the second curve.  If he's getting oxygen debt going around the turn, I'd say his HR is rushing at around 180.  If all the guy had been doing is a mile WALK, I wouldn't want to take any responsibility of the consequence.  Let alone trying to see how many 400s he could do!  I'd say start with 200m and see how that feels first.

BadDawg:  Thanks, flattered.  Ask my wife, though.  She'll tell you otherwise! ;o)

You're probably right.  I was 5' 9.5'' 187lbs (about the OPs build) and completely sedentary (my only walk was to the car) and I was able to continuosly run for about 1.5 miles the first time I tried, but I was 33.  Better safe than sorry I suppose.

Of course it's possible.  I started running at age 50, weighted 175 lbs at 5'10" tall and within 6 weeks, I ran a 24:06 5K race.  Was able to run 1 1/2 miles after one week. 

But then again, running was always easy for me and although I had never really ran or jog before; I played other sports and officiated in sports well into my 40s. 

So what is your background and previous running ability?  Do you or did you smoke?  You should also know what you physical health condition is, another wards, "How is your heart"

If you're going to do this, you need to work on diet and cross train as well.  Eating the right foods, healthy foods and cutting down the crappy stuff, at least to get you through this. 

If you are in okay health, then I see no reason why you shouldn't be able to run the 1 1/2 miles in under the allotted time.  In my mind, you have to increase distance and you should be pushing to run further than the required 1 1/2 miles and you need to work on shorter intervals by going to the track and running 200s or 400s to work on pacing and speed. 

And I am very big on stretching.  It’s a debatable subject, but for a newbie, I especially think you need to do a lot of stretching.  So instead of being a coach potato at night, sit/lie on the floor and do some stretching

Larry

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

iraqofficer

Well I did my second day of training or at least I should say running. I took advise from the community and started out this way. First I walked 2 miles around the track for a total of 12 laps. After feeling warmed up I started splitting the track into four sections. I began to jog the first section and then walk the second and so on until I hit a mile. I then walked a half mile to cool down. I must say that after the 18 laps I was bushed but felt great in a strang way. I do not smoke never have and have spent most of my work out time prior to this, lifting weights and only walking a mile a day.