Injured Hamstring (Read 88 times)

pedaling fool

When I first started running I didn't give my hamstrings much thought, probably because you never really feel any pain from them after a run, it's always the quads (and other things) that are sore.

However, I always wondered why you see a lot of sprinters pull their hamstrings. Now I kind of understand.

The other day I was working out in the gym doing leg curls and later that night my left hamstring cramped up and it was super painful. I've had other muscles cramp after a workout and they were painful, but not as bad as this time with my hamstring and it took some time before the hamstring loosened up.

Then yesterday I did a little speedwork, nothing major, definitely not sprinting and today I have hamstring pain, the same one that cramped up on me the other day. I think there's a connection.

I've started reading up on hamstrings and sprinters and there's some good information out there; it turns out that the hamstrings are highly stressed during sprints.

What's concerning to me in this one article is this statement: "Of all the running-related muscle injuries, hamstring strains are the most likely to become chronic. More than two-thirds of runners that strain their hamstrings will suffer re-injury within one year."
    Read more at http://running.competitor.com/2014/03/photos/best-ways-treat-hamstring-injuries_97314#DA7CBtugL6pK0S4B.99"

I guess I should take it easy for  a while on the speedwork and gym workouts. Anyone else have issues with hamstrings?

Christirei

I dealt with a hamstring injury last summer and ended up having to take several months off running. It started as a little nagging thing, but I was enjoying an awesome running streak and didn't want to stop. Then I noticed that during the day I would limp occasionally because the pain was starting to become chronic, finally I couldn't walk and certainly couldn't run anymore. I tried a sports med doc, I tried PT, I tried complete rest, I finally worked out with a personal trainer who just focused on strengthening the hamstring and thats when I finally found relief. haven't had any pain in my hamstring in over six months. Now, I still work out on my own and continue to do the strength exercises for the hamstring. I also use a foam roller and stretch religiously every single day regardless if i run that day or not. Good luck!

GinnyinPA

A few years ago, I went out with a small group doing speedwork in the park, which I normally don't do.  Because I am so slow, I pushed myself really hard so I wouldn't be embarrassed by being left behind.  At the time, the leg didn't hurt, but the next day I realized I had pulled the hamstring.  I took it easy for a couple of weeks, but it didn't get better.  Long story short, the hamstring pain lasted for about a year and a half. If I ran easy and flat, there was no pain. If I tried to run fast or hard uphill, it hurt.  Taking time off didn't help, as the pain always returned once I started running again. Most of the time the pain wasn't bad, since I do most of my runs as slow easy runs, but it was there.  Eventually I went to a PT who gave me some exercises that definitely helped. That plus time mostly healed the leg.  My left hamstring is still much tighter than the other but I can run hills or fast without a problem. I was able to continue training through the pain, and completed my first marathon about a year after the strain, but it did take a long time to go away completely, if in fact it has.

SMART Approach

7 years of hamstring issues here. For you, the positive is that it did not happen while running. This is probably minor. Give yourself a week of easy running or no running and see how it feels. Don't push through soreness. Also, do more leg work while standing. It carries over to running more than machine work. Glute work is crucial to take stress off hammies. Lunges, squats etc are awesome. Don't need heavy weights. Be sure to get hammies loose before your runs over next month just in case.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

rmorrissey64

Good timing. I just logged on here to post a question about my hamstring injury.

Thanks

pedaling fool

Luckily, my hamstring is feeling better, still something there, so I'm going to take it easy by not doing heavy weights at the gym, nor any crazy high reps and I'll stay away from speedwork for a while and when I do start back up with it, I start slowly and definitely do ample warming up. The last thing I need now is an injury that requires massive time to heal.

I do feel comfortable to do normal running, but as I was reading thru the link in the OP I notice that they say one of the best things to do is to stretch periodically during long runs, so I'll do that.

BTW, I found this interesting  http://patient.info/health/hamstring-injuries

Excerpt:

Getting a hamstring strain or tear is more likely if:

• You don't warm up and stretch before exercising.
              • The muscles in the front of your thigh (the quadriceps) are a lot stronger than your hamstrings (see below).
              • You're a teenager going through a growth spurt.

Hamstrings versus quadriceps

Hamstring strength isn't the only important factor in injury. What probably matters more is the comparative strength of the hamstrings compared to the quadriceps muscles at the front of the thigh. Many people have strong quadriceps that overpower their hamstrings - and this is particularly true in women. This imbalance is often the root cause of injury. Even if an athlete has stronger hamstrings than another athlete, if he or she has much stronger quadriceps there will still be a high risk for injuries. This is because it's the quadriceps which straighten the knee and make the opposite movement to the hamstrings. It is, effectively, partly the power of the quadriceps that can suddenly stretch the hamstrings. Highly trained runners tend to spend time working on their hamstrings to correct this problem. Recreational runners may not realise that they need to do so.

SMART Approach

Warming up and doing dynamic movement or active flexibility work is fine before running or even during.  I would not do sustained static stretching before a run or during. May increase  risk slightly of a tweak. During long runs, occasionally run backwards, sideways etc. to break it up and alter the load a bit. Your quads will always be stronger and should be but if you are doing heavy squats etc., you probably not a real serious runner or are just as focused on weight training. 3:2 ratio of quad to hammy is ideal - doesn't always happen especially if squatting. Glute work is huge and very important to take load off hammys. You want your glutes firing while running to take stress off hammys or you have dead butt syndrome - you don't want that.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

bhearn

A ray of hope... I tore my hamstring tendons three years ago, and have been back to 100% for a couple of years now with no major reoccurrence. I still feel it now and then, but it doesn't limit me. I keep it in check with deadlifts.

Not the same as a strain, but tendons are actually worse for repair. Strains heal much quicker.

pedaling fool

Deadlifts are definitely good for the posterior chain, especially the glutes and hamstrings, when done properly. If you don't have buns of steel after deadlifts, you're doing something wrong

pedaling fool

My left hamstring seems to be healing nicely, a little tenderness when I apply pressure to it, but no big deal and I don't feel it when I run; however, a funny thing happened to me on my Thanksgiving Day run and again today.

Both days I had to do a little acceleration to get away from traffic (I don't like cars waiting for me) and I felt a funny twinge in my right hamstring and at first I thought I may have re-injured my hamstring, but then I realized....This was my good hamstring

I don't know what to think of that...