2015 sub 20 5k (Read 379 times)

I ran, maybe for the last time in my life, a second workout in two consecutive days. In Daniels' 5-10K program, phase 3 is about working on VO2Max. In that phase, he puts the week's two workouts on consecutive days (usually on wednesday and thursday) ...

Heh heh, I like that you're a couple of weeks ahead of me in the Daniels' program Smile

I was looking ahead at his Phase III and wondering about those back-to-back qualities. Surprising. I don't believe that kind of workout appeared in the last edition, certainly not with the consistency that he has in this one.

I'm really happy with the quality schedule in Phase II so I may stick with that, but I will at least give his back-to-back Q1/Q2 a try for a few weeks before I render judgement. I guess his argument is that you're less likely to overdo the first quality if you have another one the next day, and since you tend to feel the after-effects of the qualities not the next day, but the day after, this schedule can be easier than others. At 41 I don't personally tend to overdo too many quality sessions Smile

We'll have to see. It certainly seems to go against what I understand to be Lydiard's "Hard day/ Easy Day" mantra.

Cyberic

I'm really happy with the quality schedule in Phase II so I may stick with that, but I will at least give his back-to-back Q1/Q2 a try for a few weeks before I render judgement. I guess his argument is that you're less likely to overdo the first quality if you have another one the next day, and since you tend to feel the after-effects of the qualities not the next day, but the day after, this schedule can be easier than others. At 41 I don't personally tend to overdo too many quality sessions Smile

We'll have to see. It certainly seems to go against what I understand to be Lydiard's "Hard day/ Easy Day" mantra.

I liked phase II also. But all that fast running was hard on my frame : hips, feet. Might be from poor running form, but nonetheless I was glad I was going to run a bit slower in phase III.

I re-read the intro to the 5-10 K program and I didn't see any explanation on the back to backs. Or if there is, I did not get it. Phase III's I and T pace running were gentler on my frame, but it left me very very tired. In the 3 weeks I actually did back to backs, 2 out of 3 times I did not sleep well on the night after my second workout. Not enough data to draw a conclusion, but my guess is that they left me so deeply drained that it affected my sleep. Maybe the trick is, like you mentioned, to hold back a bit on day 1 knowing there is a day 2 coming up, but I did not do that.

Hopefully I'll enjoy phase IV Smile , but then again, I don't think 5K training is supposed to be easy.

Tweeeked

Sometimes two workouts in a row are okay. Pfitzinger has a blurb on them in his book. Basically, if you know you are going to get DOMS, do the two workouts in a row and then suffer later 

2016 Goals:

• 5k: sub-16:30
        • 10k: sub-36
        • Half: sub-76
        • Full: 2:45 in Boston

SMART Approach

Did a 20:08 in a 5K race this evening. 40 degrees a bit breezy with 3/4 of race into some of the breeze. So close but ran a good strong race. If I stay healthy, I think I can do it again this year.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

kcam

NIce race Tchuck.  That's close enough to be rounding error (meaning if your run that race 4 times you go sub-20 twice).  Keep up the good work.

On the subject of two hard workouts back to back:  I should say that I consider a 20+mile run at pretty much any pace a 'hard' workout.  When I was in my best marathoning shape I would run a XC race at full tilt ranging from 3 miles to 6 miles on Saturday morning and then run a 20-22 mile long run Sunday morning (frequently including some miles at faster than MP).  Did that about every other week from Sept through November and raced my marathon in the first week of December. I did that two years in a row and ran my marathon PR one year and marathon PR + 1second the other year.  It worked wonders for me.  I still feel that it's easier to run two hard workouts back to back rather than have one easy day in between.  Ideal for me would be Hard Workout, Easy, Easy, Hard workout, Easy, Easy.  Repeat.   It's just that doesn't fit well in my 7 day schedule so compromises must be made.

Cyberic

Congrats on the race Tchuck. You're so close... maybe a few more races will have a couple in the sub 20, as kencamet said.

About the back to backs, thanks for the input. It might just be that they're not for me, or that I don't want to put myself in that state of tiredness for a hobby. I tried them, I know what they are, that I can get through them, and how tired they leave me. In the future I'll be able to choose better.

41:54 on a 10k this Sunday. From the Daniels tables this is a bit slower than a sub-20min 5k (41:21).

But my first 10k in 2 years (last was 46:03) so I'll take it!

Now I just need to find a 5k in Ottawa... Unfortunately I won't be in town for the Run Ottawa May farm 5k.

Cyberic

Great PR Andrew!

kcam

It's been a few weeks since I reported training / progress so here goes:

Still no 5K race results but some encouraging training and racing.

In the last three weeks my mileage has been spotty but getting there .... 43, 28 (missed my Sunday long run) and 50mpw.  Have run 4 interval sessions (ranging from 200 to 600m repeats), one set of tempo repeats and two races (2.75 miles and a 10K).  The rest was easy running.  Yesterday's race was the 10K on a slow course (hilly, in Golden Gate park in SF) in 41:21.  I ran all but the last two miles mostly on my own.

I was in 13th place heading into the last two miles and passed #12 at about 4.68 miles.  How do I know this?  He was several strides ahead of me and I looked at my watch to see how far to go and saw 5.45.  I thought now's the time to go HARD and get this guy so I did.  I passed him and tried to go a little harder even to make sure he had no ideas on passing me back.  Glanced back at my watch and now it read 5.36!  Holy hell, I was looking at pace, not distance! ( No I didn't run any 5:40 miles, this was a downhill section)  I had just kicked hard and the actual distance was 4.68 miles!  I thought I was done for but I dialed it back down and somehow didn't lose too much (and that guy didn't pass me back).  Next was #11.  Pulled up next to him at about 5.5 miles and we exchanged some pleasantries and I though surely he would beat me in the end but abruptly he fell off the pace and I was now about 5 or 6 strides back from #10.  Unfortunately he turned on the afterburners for the last .1 or so and pulled away to make sure I didn't catch him.  Definitely good racing.

Plans are for a 12K race next Sunday then there's an important USATF 5K race the week after that that I will run.  Unfortunately that race is a very slow race.  Downhill for 1.5 miles then turnaround and run back up.  I usually run that one about 30 seconds slower than a flat, fast 5K.

Onward and upward!

SMART Approach

Ken, nice 10K performance. You are fit and strong enough for sub 20 based on your 10K race on a slower course - just need the right course and conditions. You might do in 2 weeks.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

kcam

C'mon guys.  Post some of your racing and training!

I ran another race this morning.  Capital City Classic 12K in Sacramento.  Ran pretty good and I am certainly making progress on that sub-20.  Here's a list of the races I've run this year and the progress I've made.  The only actual 5K I've run is the Reach For A Star 5K on 3/22 and it fits right in line with the 5K Equivalents predicted by my races at other distances.  I do have a 5K scheduled for next weekend but it's a tough course and it'll be close as to whether I make sub-20 on it.  I've had two weeknds of long races now and I think I'll get a fitness bump just from that alone.

Date Course Miles Time AG 5K Equiv.
                        1/10/2015 WVJS - DSF 2.75 19:42 67.4% 22:26
                        3/7/2015 WVJS - Short Six 5.74 41:54 69.1% 21:53
                        3/14/2015 WVJS - Valle Vista 3.00 20:34 70.8% 21:21
                        3/22/2015 Reach for a Star 5K 3.11 20:18 74.5% 20:18
                        3/28/2015 WVJS - Triangle 4.76 31:43 74.9% 20:11
                        4/11/2015 WVJS - DSF 2.75 17:35 75.4% 20:02
                        4/19/2015 Windmill 10K 6.21 41:22 76.1% 19:52
                        4/26/2015 Capital City Classic 12K 7.46 49:40 76.5% 19:45
                        Wing

Joggaholic

I did it! 19:45 PR! Horrible pacing but I'm happy Smile

Walk-Jogger

Wing, congrats on breaking 20! Nice job!

Ken - That's a great looking 12K time you got there! Congrats!

Retired &  Loving It

Great job Wing, and with a 3:33 for the first KM, wow that's aggressive Smile

I am actually fan of running the first mile of a 5k a bit faster than target pace.

Kencamet, I suspect you'll be next in the sub-20min club.

Personally I'm going through Phase III of Daniels 5-10k program, having a lot of fun with it.
                              Doing the back-to-back qualities on the weekend (intervals Saturday morning and Threshold/Reps on Sunday). So far it's feeling really good. 80km weeks w/ 20k long run.

I have a 10k in a few weeks but no 5k for over a month so I'll just have to wait and see.

C-R

Guess I should jump in here. Starting this May. Ultimate goal is sub 19 but need to get sub 20 first.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                                "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/