2015 sub 20 5k (Read 379 times)

kcam

Wing  - Congratulations on the PR and getting another sub-20 under your belt!

Cyberic

Wing, that's great! Congrats on the sub 20!

Andrew, the back to backs are not killing you? Maybe I'm a wimp Smile

I'll be running my target 5K on Saturday. Today is my last workout-ish run, which is 3 x 1 mile at T pace, with 2 minutes Easy between each. Daniels' T pace is somewhere between 10K and HM pace. More like getting my legs moving fast  and my heart pumping than an hard workout.

Cyberic

19:47 today. Outdoors this time, with real life elements like wind and not a perfectly flat course. Finished 10/309 OA, 1/31 M40-49. Happy with that. Now marathon training...

Good stuff Eric, I'll wager that racing a 5k is good 5k practice Smile

So far no problems on the back-to-backs (running at vdot 50 paces), (although the intervals painfully hard). But I know you mentioned you were doing them in the evenings and I think I would have the same problems sleeping after workouts like that.

Hoping to go deeper into the sub 20's this June, but still just training and no races yet.

kcam

Finally got to run a 5K road race this morning.  19:55.  Feels great to get back under 20.   My placing was not good at #8 in 50-54.  The winner of my AG ran 16:26. 

SMART Approach

Nice job Ken. Congrats.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Cyberic

Congrats Ken! AG placing is all about who shows up and the size of the field.

Walk-Jogger

Finally got to run a 5K road race this morning.  19:55.  Feels great to get back under 20.   My placing was not good at #8 in 50-54.  The winner of my AG ran 16:26. 

Good job, Ken!

Retired &  Loving It

kcam

Thanks, all.

Cecil, I hear tell that you raced yesterday ... wanna fess up?

! Nice work -- and that is a tough age group you're running in!

kcam

Actually, I must report that they re-stated finishing positions.  That 16:26 guy?  He was actually in his 30's.  Actual 50+ winner was 17:02.  The explanation for this stuff was that they gave out the wrong bibs to a few people.

Walk-Jogger

Thanks, all.

Cecil, I hear tell that you raced yesterday ... wanna fess up?

Yep, I "raced" the Bloomsday 12K on Sunday. Personal worst time at 54:12 and 9th place M60-64 A/G. I think this is only the second time in the past 7 years that I've finished lower than 2nd place in my age-group in any race, so I'm pretty bummed about it. But with all the health issues I have going on now, just being able to show up and run should be enough to make me happy. It isn't, but I did managed to finish the race without having to walk, and I didn't end up in the first aid tent at the finish line, and the weather was absolutely perfect this year for once - not cold at the start, and not hot at the finish. So it was all good. I had a great day over-all, tempered by a very disappointing race.

If I had been able to run the same as last year and give up 30 seconds for being one year older, I would have won the A/G by over 2 minutes .  Coulda, shoulda, woulda; it is what it is. Cancer sucks. I ran an easy 20:19 5k tempo run a month ago on April 7th, and was ready to dip under 20:00 in a 5k race, but I've lost a bunch of speed and endurance since then. Hopefully it's only from side effects of an injection I got on April 8th, and is just temporary. But I didn't recover anything in time for Bloomsday, so that remains to be seen.

Retired &  Loving It

kcam

Ahh, Bloomsday.  12K's a tough distance on little training, never mind your health issues.  PW ain't so bad, at least you're still out there kicking around.  I've been hitting some disappointingly slow times myself that I haven't run in many years.  I take it for what it's worth.  Like you said we're still having fun at the races regardless of the time!  Bloomsday is on my list of races to do ... maybe I can get up there next year for it and hopefully both of us will be in better shape than we are today.  In the meantime keep fighting the good fight.

kcam

Ran a flat, fast 10K this morning in 40:14 or 40:15 (chip time not posted yet, my watch had 40:16 but I was a few seconds from the mat).  Makin' progress!  Probably equates to about 19:20 for 5K.  I'll likely run a 5K next weekend and we'll see.

Nice work Kencamet. You'll likely be fighting for sub 19min 5k in the fall?

I tried to best my 41:54 10k this past weekend (Ottawa Race Weekend). It didn't work out very well!

Despite a great 6 weeks or so of training (Daniels Phase 3), and 5 days of taper, I ended up at 42:22.

I'm blaming:

-weight (2-3 lbs heavier. one of the calculators estimated 15 seconds per pound on a 10k)

-poor tangents (according to gps I ran an extra 27 seconds past 10k). The course was crowded so there was some moving about.

-wind and some gusts up to 35k/m on the first half. Maybe I had to fight this hard enough to make me weak for km 7-10.

Anyway, always good for ones character to have a race kick you in the butt!

First 5k is June 6th, still hoping to re-join the sub 20min club!