Important (Read 1503 times)

Hey, nice marmot!

Your story does very little to support your assertion that Costco is evil.

Out of curiousity though, have you ever figured out how much Costco actually saves you. 

ie  (Cost of stuff at store) - (Costco price) - (Costco membership costs) + *...* = PROFIT

where, *...* represents the personal satisfaction gained by purchasing something like mayonaise by the gallon.

I read somewhere that due to membership fees, those "club" stores (Costco, BJ's, Sam's Club, etc.) almost never save anyone money unless they have an excessive number of children.  You strike me as the kind of person who might have thought about this before and actually crunched the numbers.

Ben

"The world is my country, science is my religion."-- Christiaan Huygens

ymmv

Well, I now use that CostCo crock pot 2-3 times per week.

does it work for steel-cut oats?

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

My CostCo membership was a gift.
        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

does it work for steel-cut oats?

Oh yes.

But they are a pain to clean afterwords.  I still have not found the best way to cook them that is not challenging to clean.  The crock pot and the cast iron dutch oven are both awesome for making them tho.  And super easy.

ymmv

Oh yes.

But they are a pain to clean afterwords.  I still have not found the best way to cook them that is not challenging to clean.  The crock pot and the cast iron dutch oven are both awesome for making them tho.  And super easy.

farberware pot on the stove is not hard to clean afterwards, but you have to hang around to watch them cook. it's nearly as tedious as waiting in line at a costco-like super store.

MTA: ...but watching the oats does not take as long as waiting in those  lines!!

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Yeah.  I like to set the oats a cookin' and then go do something else.  They don't need me to watch them.
              ymmv

Yeah.  I like to set the oats a cookin' and then go do something else.  They don't need me to watch them.

like letting the kids play without watching them

easy to do, tough to clean

Oh yes.

You need to get some of those Reynolds Slow Cooker plastic liners.  We use the crock all the time now that the wife is back at work after maternity leave.  No cleanup at all when using the liners.

ymmv

You need to get some of those Reynolds Slow Cooker plastic liners.  We use the crock all the time now that the wife is back at work after maternity leave.  No cleanup at all when using the liners.

now that sounds pretty cool.

but is it something that will eventually be exposed as a health risk? like asbestos toys were?

now that sounds pretty cool.

but is it something that will eventually be exposed as a health risk? like asbestos toys were?

Well, it seems like everything is a health risk nowadays so probably.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I'd rather clean up than throw away excess plastic Wink

I'd rather clean up than throw away excess plastic Wink

I'd imagine the cast iron Dutch oven is easier to clean oats from than the crock pot? I am ordering a Lodge DO today. Was on the fence and thinking of a fancy LC enamelled job, but I figure with the more than $150 I save, I can get ingredients for some yummy meals. And oatmeal will probably be the first item made.

Best Present Ever

A story.  My in laws moved to town a few years back.  I married their only daughter, so rather than retire to Miami, they came to Nashville.  Not too terribly long ago, they bought us a CostCo membership.  My wife loves it, and so therefore so must I.  Middle of last year, my wife went to CostCo and bought a crock pot.  I do most of the cooking in our home and we had no need for a crock pot.  Least of all one from CostCo.  But now I had one in my life, sitting on the counter right next to the 9-pack of underripe, overpackaged and rotting magoes, triple sized boxes of cereal and ginormous bags of tasteless raw veggies.  Well, I now use that CostCo crock pot 2-3 times per week.  It is awesome.  My wife was right.  I was wrong.  And every time I use it, and every time I relate this story, I get husband points.

so tell me about cooking in the crockpot.  I'm not against them in principle, and I prepare and like a lot of the kind of food that ought to be good when cooked in a crockpot (soups, dried beans, braised things).  I've generally been dissatisfied with the food I make in the crockpot, though.  The beans are often mushy, the food doesn't taste that good. Spices lose their flavor, the veggies end up mushy and tasteless.  I don't even like steel cut oats in the crockpot -- too mushy.  THe only time I've used it for oats is when I host a post-run brunch -- it's nice to to put the oats in the crockpot and clear the stovetop for my husband to use for bacon and whole wheat pancakes.

Am I doing something wrong, crockpot-wise?

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

The oats stick to any surface but teflon.  The cast iron is easier to clean if only because I can burn any residue off if I need.

FWIW, my DO is actually a chicken fryer.  It is great. I would never use the coals-holding top that the traditional DO has, and this does everything else and has a handle.

A Saucy Wench

Your story does very little to support your assertion that Costco is evil.

Out of curiousity though, have you ever figured out how much Costco actually saves you. 

ie  (Cost of stuff at store) - (Costco price) - (Costco membership costs) + *...* = PROFIT

where, *...* represents the personal satisfaction gained by purchasing something like mayonaise by the gallon.

I read somewhere that due to membership fees, those "club" stores (Costco, BJ's, Sam's Club, etc.) almost never save anyone money unless they have an excessive number of children.  You strike me as the kind of person who might have thought about this before and actually crunched the numbers.

I can get Deschutes and Bridgeport microbrew at my costco for $23/case.  It is usually about $30/case in the store.

I can also get Guinness for significantly cheaper than in the store

Yes.  Costco saves me money. 

And I really like refried beans in the crockpot.  But then refried beans are supposed to be a little mushy

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7