what's better? (Read 1008 times)

Mr. Muscle

Since I have been out with an injury and I'm gettting back into it, I haven't been on a long run. Towards the end of 9 miles or so I slow way down and lose form. I'm worried about hurting myself again. But what I can do it run two runs in one day and feel good for both. So my question is...Is it better to run a long run of 15+ or two 7-8 mile runs. The two runs will be much faster and they always make me anxious to get out again. I would like to do an endurance race to raise money for my cc and track teams but I'm afraid I won't make it. What should I do? Do I need to reevaluate goals? I also like to race and I need speed for that. My workouts are usually early morning on my own and at practice with the kids.

SMART Approach

What's up with your log? You surely aren't running 100 mile weeks coming off an injury???? What is your main goal and what type of endurance race are you talking about? I have a hard time believing you need advice if you are working with a cross country team? A bit confused...... To answer one of your questions, you do not need long runs more than 10 miles unless you are competing in a marathon or longer. Of course if you are doing 100 mile weeks you certainly can do 15 mile + long runs or even 15 miles twice per week but keep them slower. For longer events you need to be on your feet a long time to prepare your body to handle the pounding for that long. AND if you peter out by 9 miles, you are running too fast. You do not need to run fast to get faster. Only once or twice per week should you feel like you are really working. All other days are comfortable. If coming back from injury I would suggest a slow build up and all days fairly easy - which is why your log confuses me. Confused

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Old, Slow, Happy

What's up with your log? You surely aren't running 100 mile weeks coming off an injury???? What is your main goal and what type of endurance race are you talking about? I have a hard time believing you need advice if you are working with a cross country team? A bit confused...... To answer one of your questions, you do not need long runs more than 10 miles unless you are competing in a marathon or longer. For these events you need to be on your feet to prepare you body to handle the pounding for that long. AND if you peter out by 9 miles, you are running too fast. You do not need to run fast to get faster. Only once or twice per week should you feel like you are really working. All other days are comfortable. If coming back from injury I would suggest a slow build up and all days fairly easy - which is why your log confuses me. Confused
        Tchuck-I think you got it!!! This man (RustinSPE) has been a fanatical runner for a number of years. He was also becoming very good just before he began with injuries. I agree that easing off a little to rest would be good for him. We all have a tendency to push our recovery. I am also coming off a long injury. I would advise running what feels good and a little more rest each week. Don't start upping the long miles until it can be done while maintaining form. I have improved my running performance by doing just that. (My log shows miles that are more than actual road miles. Some of the miles are on the elliptical.) I find that my muscles are healing faster when I run distances that let me maintain form. If I lose form and can't get it back, I walk home and rest (elliptical) the next day. My form is better for more miles each week. I am running about 3/4 of my miles on the road now. Listen my son Big grin--think about what advice you would give me or one of your runners, then follow it yourself.

Old, Slow, Happy

Hey Pre, I took your brother up to see my physical therapist. He helped him a bunch. He found a difference in leg length. Matt's back pain was better that day. His leg muscles will need to adjust, but he was very happy about it. If you get the same injury again, I think you should see him. I'm getting better. I am running my short runs without ibuprofen and even getting my form back. When I get tired, my right foot toes out. When that happens, the pain comes back. I'm holding form longer each day. I'm sure you weren't happy to read the response you got to your post, but I think it's right. Remember: Take it easy now so that you can still be running next year. Remember your 1 1/2 years off because of injury? Also, think about finding the shoe that's right rather than whatever is cheap. The way your foot hits the ground is important all through your body and can affect your endurance along with preventing injury. Have you read your copy of The Chi of Running? There's good stuff in there. Run and have fun. Large Dad Big grin
            The two runs will be much faster and they always make me anxious to get out again.
            This is likely why you can't finish your long runs comfortably. Long runs are to be run SLOWLY. Typically at a pace 1 1/2-2 1/2 m/m slower than your 10K pace. They are all about building endurance, not speed. Save the speed work for one or two dedicated runs a week. The rest of them should be slow and easy. BTW, two 7-8 mile runs do not equal one 15 mile run in a physiological sense. Your body fuels itself differently for a 15 mile run than it does for a 7 mile run. It would be closer if you didn't eat between the two runs, but that probably isn't practical. Tom
            mikeymike

You seem to be running all your easy runs significantly too fast, at least if your PR's in your log are remotely close to your real fitness. I'm faster than you at every distance and my easy days are often a full minute per mile slower than yours, and my hard days are faster. Take your easy days easier and think of them as setting up and supporting your hard days, which includes your long runs. Depending on what distance you're training for and how far out you are from a goal race it may not matter too much whether you do a 15 mile single or a 7/8 double but generally speaking for distance runners, doing an occasional long run will help you.

Runners run

Old, Slow, Happy

Hey Pre, Are you still there? I was wondering what you have decided as your plan for your problem. Let us know what's happening. Thanks, Large Smile

Mr. Muscle

Yeah, I'm still here. I've been busy. My 4x800 girls ran a 10:09 last night. The 4x800 boys set a school record too. My two miler boy ran a great race and my miler, two miler and 800 girls are coming into good form. Girls 1 at 5:24 and 2 is a 5:39. 800 I have 1 at 2:27 and 2 at 2:28 and two milers I have one just under 12:00. Guys are running 3200 just at 10:00 and 4:40 for the mile. My freshman 800 boy ran two 2:04's last night too about time. For me...I'm fine. I've decided I have to push myself to run longer. It takes time. I've been recovering since early Feb. so I haven't jumped from 0 to where I am now. Some of my miles are on an elliptical too so it's a little decieving. I know I should rest but...who wants to do that?

Old, Slow, Happy

Sounds like your team is doing great. When is there a meet I can get to? We all want to keep running. I would say that if you are hurting and/or losing your form, you should take it easy. Remember, you didn't get where you were before over-night. I feel as if I'm starting over, but I guess I'll do what it takes. I can go 6 miles without walking. I can eventually get 10 - 14. I am gaining a little speed, but still generally 10 minute miles. I can go quicker if I push, but then I lose my form too. Oh well, take it slow and easy and you'll (we) get back to form eventually. Good luck!!