Why Is the Republican Field So Extreme? (Read 2137 times)

Why is it sideways?

Sitting in a state which swung to Obama in 2008, my perception, acquired through rigorous market research (drinking beer with neighbors in suburbia), is that Obama didn't so much capture the middle, is that the middle (which included lifelong Republicans) ran in disgust from a party that would put Palin on the ticket.

We'll see if the Republican Party has learned their lesson this time, or will rely on someone who'll bring the fringe out and hope that a bad economy keeps enough of the left and middle way from the polling stations. If I were them, I'd pick someone who wasn't so offensive to the middle. Smile

Aren't people all scientific about these thingsnow? Basing campaigns on polling data and what-all. My intuitions are the same as yours, but maybe the polling data shows Obama to be unbeatable on a centrist platform... this is why I made that assumption.

Scout7

Aren't people all scientific about these thingsnow? Basing campaigns on polling data and what-all. My intuitions are the same as yours, but maybe the polling data shows Obama to be unbeatable on a centrist platform... this is why I made that assumption.

Science has yet to accurately capture the gut reaction that occurs once one is in the booth.

In other words, polls are interesting statistics, but hardly that wonderful.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Surely that was just laziness. SURELY they've learned their lesson -- vet your candidate. I mean, surely everyone has learned that lesson. Even you bozos on a running board know that.

You say funny things.

Feeling the growl again

Surely that was just laziness. SURELY they've learned their lesson -- vet your candidate. I mean, surely everyone has learned that lesson. Even you bozos on a running board know that.

That was one of many stupid desperation moves McCain made when polls started to swing in Obama's favor.  My personal guess was that Palin was supposed to be some sort of grasp for the Hilary vote, but its mishandling was epic.

2008 was all about branding and marketing.  "Not Bush", "Hope and Change", a candidate who had a campaign that actually knew how to leverage online and social media vs one that did not know how to turn on a computer.  The problem is "Not Bush" will be irrelevant this time around, and after 4 years I am not so sure the aspirational marketing is going to be nearly as impactful.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Prince of Fatness

That was one of many stupid desperation moves McCain made when polls started to swing in Obama's favor.  My personal guess was that Palin was supposed to be some sort of grasp for the Hilary vote, but its mishandling was epic.

2008 was all about branding and marketing.  "Not Bush", "Hope and Change", a candidate who had a campaign that actually knew how to leverage online and social media vs one that did not know how to turn on a computer.  The problem is "Not Bush" will be irrelevant this time around, and after 4 years I am not so sure the aspirational marketing is going to be nearly as impactful.

Agree with a lot of this.  I think that another reason for Palin to be on the ticket was to offset the "change" campaign that Obama was running, i.e., offset McCain being establishment / like Bush.

Events could not have fallen into place more perfectly for Obama in 2008.  Independents and even many Republicans were tired of the the Republican party.  The financial industry was out of control and on the ropes, for which it is easy to blame the right.  Obama offered change and that's exactly what he was.  He said that he wasn't Bush and that is certainly true.

The thing is that now I think that there are more than a few independents out there who are thinking that this isn't the change that they were looking for.  Ironically their fear of more change may keep them from voting against Obama in 2012.  For this reason I don't see the Republican candidate as a slam dunk even if the economy is still in the tank. 

As an independent (that's right, I am not a Republican) I am going to take a wait and see attitude.  I can honestly say that I am no better off than I was in 2008.  That will weigh into my decision, but I need to wait and see if a) things improve and b) who the Republicans put on their ticket.

Not at it at all. 

Feeling the growl again

The thing is that now I think that there are more than a few independents out there who are thinking that this isn't the change that they were looking for.  Ironically their fear of more change may keep them from voting against Obama in 2012.  For this reason I don't see the Republican candidate as a slam dunk even if the economy is still in the tank. 

I'd put greater odds on some Republican antics alienating people, or putting forward a candidate who is not broadly supportable, botching their chances over people's fear of more change.  Good chance the Republicans could be their own worst enemy if they are not careful.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Prince of Fatness

I'd put greater odds on some Republican antics alienating people, or putting forward a candidate who is not broadly supportable, botching their chances over people's fear of more change.  Good chance the Republicans could be their own worst enemy if they are not careful.

Yeah, that too.

Not at it at all. 

Why is it sideways?

Sounds like you guys will be voting for Obama in 2012.

Prince of Fatness

Not so fast, hippie!

Not at it at all. 

Feeling the growl again

Yup, I'll be putting him over the edge so no need for you to bother going to vote... Wink

MTA:  He can fill my lawn with campaign signs.  They make good target backers....

MrH

2008 was all about branding and marketing.  "Not Bush", "Hope and Change", 

For some, marketing may have been a key part for the young vote. But as I said, most of the older more cynical folks I know had a lot of respect for McCain (with negatives of age and being too hawkish), while Obama got credit for the optimism factor in his speeches (Reagan-lite Smile) and with negatives of big lack of experience and another damn lawyer.

Then Palin the clown gets added to the ticket and Republicans feel them embarrassment and humiliation of the Redskins fan in recent years when you can't believe your supposedly professional team has done something that incompetent.

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

Feeling the growl again

For some, marketing may have been a key part for the young vote. But as I said, most of the older more cynical folks I know had a lot of respect for McCain (with negatives of age and being too hawkish), while Obama got credit for the optimism factor in his speeches (Reagan-lite Smile) and with negatives of big lack of experience and another damn lawyer.

Then Palin the clown gets added to the ticket and Republicans feel them embarrassment and humiliation of the Redskins fan in recent years when you can't believe your supposedly professional team has done something that incompetent.

I wouldn't underestimate the impact of the marketing.

I'm totally with you on the Palin thing.

I can honestly say that I am no better off than I was in 2008.  That will weigh into my decision, ...

Honest question (and with apologies if it's a tangent): why is this a strong factor, let alone a litmus test?  My two thoughts:

1. Not to go semi-JFK on you, but is it your civic duty to select a presidential candidate based on what's best for you or what's best for your country?  What happens when the two aren't perfectly coincident?

2. Are you relatively better off today than you were on 9/1/2008?  If things went to shit but your things only went a quarter of the way to shit, that's a net improvement, right?  I'm not looking to defend Obama, just digging into this particular line of thinking a little bit.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Scout7

1. Not to go semi-JFK on you, but is it your civic duty to select a presidential candidate based on what's best for you or what's best for your country?  What happens when the two aren't perfectly coincident?

Now we're talkin'!

I think this question is especially important in this day and age, because it strikes at the very heart of the ideological debate that we see going on.  What is the role of government, and what is the role of its citizens?

Obviously, there are many different takes on the above.  Personally, I believe that what makes a citizen is not birth, but a willingness to put the good of the group ahead of his own well-being.

Honest question (and with apologies if it's a tangent): why is this a strong factor, let alone a litmus test?  My two thoughts:

As Scout said, wonderful question.

I don't yet know whether you're asking the question for the same reason as I would ask the question, nor answer it the same way you would, but that's a great question.

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life