More Science of Sport discussion on barefoot running (Read 2796 times)

Seanv2

Maybe you need the stability????? The two shoes are very similar and almost identical in weight other than the Ravenna has a stability post.

Dude, I like them. And my local running store which has been video taping my gait now for going on three years thinks they are the right move.  I just have some muscle soreness, which I don't think is that strange. 

Have you qualified for Boston? I want to interview you!

Message me!

www.miloandthecalf.com

SMART Approach

That's cool! I just hear too often runners switching from shoes that are working for them and then they read something or someone tells them they should try something else.

Did you get the new Brooks Ghost 4? They were just released. I have a couple pair of the 2's but will try the 4's soon!

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

xor

I had a pair of Brooks Ghost.

But I sat them down in my apartment somewhere.

Now I can't find the bastards.

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

Good article. Provided explanation for why I had Achilles tendon issue after running a half in VFF Bikilas even tho I had been running in them for 6 months. Prior to that I had not had any reactions to increased running in Vibrams. Once construction debris in my neighborhood let up I started BF running again and even tho I had been run BF before I managed to get blisters on both heels when extending to over 2mi. That got me looking at my Bikilas and I could see I was heel striking even in them, although not as much as in "normal" running shoes. I am now more conscious of my foot strike and migrating to forefoot/mid-foot, although I find that very difficult in heavier running shoes. Easier in my END OTG and Crocs which are light and of course BF. Still need to toughen feet with more <2mi runs before extending to longer distances. 

bob e v
          2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

SMART Approach

I had a pair of Brooks Ghost.

But I sat them down in my apartment somewhere.

Now I can't find the bastards.

Do Do Do,   Do Do Do,    Do Do Do!

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

xor

BATMAN!

Seanv2

That's cool! I just hear too often runners switching from shoes that are working for them and then they read something or someone tells them they should try something else.

Did you get the new Brooks Ghost 4? They were just released. I have a couple pair of the 2's but will try the 4's soon!

Yeah these are the fours, excellent neon color on the sole!

Have you qualified for Boston? I want to interview you!

Message me!

www.miloandthecalf.com

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/06/08/are-we-built-to-run-barefoot/

So where does all of this new science leave the runner who’s been considering whether to ditch the shoes? The “evidence is not concrete for or against barefoot or shod running,” said Allison H. Gruber, a doctoral candidate at the University of Massachusetts and lead author of the hertz study. “If one is not experiencing any injuries, it is probably best to not change what you’re doing.”

On the other hand, if you do have a history of running-related injuries or simply want to see what it feels like to run as most humans have over the millenniums, then “start slowly,” said Dr. Lieberman. Remove your shoes for the last mile of your usual run and ease into barefoot running over a period of weeks, he suggests, and take care to scan the pavement or wear barefoot running shoes or inexpensive moccasins to prevent lacerations.

And pay attention to form. “Don’t overstride,” he said. Your stride should be shorter when you are running barefoot than when you are in shoes. “Don’t lean forward. Land lightly.”

On this point, he and all of the scientists agree. Humans may have been built to run barefoot, “but we did not evolve to run barefoot with bad form.”

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

xor

I find it curious that a study involving injuries is the "hertz study".  hee.

jfa

Great article and what i like most about it is the notion that barefooting and minimalist shoes are not for everyone. I have found a happy medium in the Free's. I don't want to be a shill for Nike and just happened to try them, but other minimal shoes could work just as well for me. I used to be a heavily cushioned shoe guy and slowly cut back by buying lesser and lesser cushioned shoes to get used to them. In addition, running barefoot in small doses showed me that my form was good. I have had 2 - 3,000+ mile years on them injury free so it has worked well for me. Your results may vary.

JimR

I find it curious that a study involving injuries is the "hertz study".  hee.

I had one of their donuts.

Anton is a great guy, but he is broken more than he's healthy, so I'm not sure he's the best person to model a training plan around.  I spoke with him a bit this past weekend, and he's still down-and-out with posterior tib problems.  No WS100 this year, sadly.  

I had one of their donuts.

I was going to post this but you beat me to the punch.

Shoe

Great article and what i like most about it is the notion that barefooting and minimalist shoes are not for everyone.

This seems like commonsense, but some of my friends who prefer barefoot and had it help do think that everyone needs to do it.  I don't believe this as when I talked to an injury treatment guy (ART), he said he's seen many more injuries (granted, different injuries, usually) since barefoot has taken off.

Full disclosure, I wear built up shoes.  And after over 25000 completely injury free miles in the last 12 years, I have no intention of changing.  I like them.  I think they help my decidedly un-runner-like body run a lot.   I hope everyone finds what works for them, but if one more person gets on me about my shoes again (though I get injured less and run more than the most vocal guy in my life who does this) I might stick the entire stable shoe up his behind.  (I also wear glasses.  I'm failing my evolution there, too. Wink  )  Though I will say that I do go barefoot most of the rest of my life and will do barefoot strides after runs in the summer.  That's just enjoyable.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

(I also wear glasses.  I'm failing my evolution there, too. Wink  ) 

You're failing to perform as man evolved. You should throw away the shoes, any machine-sewn clothes, the glasses, any electronics, learn to eat everyting raw, rip most of your teeth out, and go enjoy the rest of your natural, 40 yr lifespan.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.