Goal of Sub-3 Hour Marathon (Read 15845 times)

Bob Glover's 'Competitive Runners handbook' has a whole bunch of useful 'rules of thumb'. As long as you don't  expect them to be too accurate I've found them to be a useful starting place for how much height/wind/heat etc might be expected to affect your pace - or at least better than pulling a number out of a hat.

Under heat he says:

'Here's a rough formula: you will slow by at least one second per mile for every 1-degree Fahrenheit increase in temperature above 60 degrees.'

So this would suggest 65 would only cost you a couple of minutes but 70 might cost you nearer 5 minutes.

Obviously that doesn't account for the humidity and 70% is starting to get sticky. This is all assuming that everything else in the race goes well, that you stay adequately hydrated etc etc.

I think Alan's suggestion of hitting the half at 1:35 and then picking it up if the weather isn't heating up too fast, or holding pace if it's hot, sounds sensible - but you may want to modify this plan if the forecast gets more accurate.

John

Goal: Age grade over 80% on a certified course.

It sounds like the BQ is the most important thing, so I will base my advice off of that.

Maybe like a 1:34 / 1:32 1st / 2nd half split.

+1.... you want to be bhearn-like in execution!

spinach

I am running Grandma's tomorrow and I am still considering a shot at breaking three.  It will depend on how I feel tomorrow and what the weather is like.  The forecasts have been pretty divergent for Duluth so I am not sure what to expect.  My plan at least for right now is to do 1:28 / 1:30.  We'll see how that goes.
          I'll be toeing the line tomorrow AM also. Spinach, if I see you, I will introduce myself. Will line up just in front of the 3:10 pace group and shoot for a 1:29:30 half. After that, go by feel. John
          spinach

John, 

Good luck.  I will be wearing a blue singlet with number 4303.  I have no idea how I will feel tomorrow, I just hope to get into a smooth rhythm and the weather cooperates.

buck919

Good luck tomorrow john and spinach...hope the conditions are favorable.

Thanks for the advice everyone...I'll see how the weather is Sunday morning, but will likely try for a 1:34-35 first half and see how it goes from there. 3:00 doesn't look like it's in the forecast...guess that'll have to wait until Boston 2010!

(hopefully it's not so hot that BQ even becomes a struggle!)

johnmaas - 06/20/09 Grandma's, Duluth MN

Spinach - 06/20/09 Grandmas, Duluth MN

Good luck, guys

Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
                  Graduation was tough. 2:59:13 Bank thermometer shows 90F right now. Saw Spinach at mile 14. He was talking 3:07 at the time. John
                  mikeymike

Graduation was tough. 2:59:13 Bank thermometer shows 90F right now. Saw Spinach at mile 14. He was talking 3:07 at the time. John

Wow.  Very impressive especially under those conditions.  Congrats!

Runners run

kcam

Congratulations!
                      spinach

John,

Congratulations!  I don't know how you did it in the heat.  I went into survival mode at around 18 when I started feeling a little woozy.  I would walk about a quarter mile after each water station and then run the rest of the way to the next.  It kept me on my feet but I am not sure how.  I ended up 3:11.  I'll take it. 

Congratulations, again

Great running, guys

John I added you to the grads list. Spinach, you're day will come!

Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
                          mikeymike

By the way I was just reading stories in the swamp of people's experiences at Grandmas today and I'm even more impressed you broke three for the first time in that shit.

Runners run

By the way I was just reading stories in the swamp of people's experiences at Grandmas today and I'm even more impressed you broke three for the first time in that shit.

+10. This is the thread that continues to amaze me. Curious minds would love more details.....

Congratulations on a big goal under challenging conditions.

John

Goal: Age grade over 80% on a certified course.

Heh, congrats John and spinach!

The question I seek is if you can that under those conditions, what  could you have run if the temps were favorable

to running to your potential for the day, say 40-50º?

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka