Goal of Sub-3 Hour Marathon (Read 15845 times)

Roots - I put you down for Towpath since it comes first. Let me know if anything changes. Good luck.

Dopple Bock - What can we say?  A couple things that put it in perspective for me are that it's almost twice as many miles as I've ever run in a week. For another, it's close to 5 miles a day for an entire month. Absolutely amazing.

Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
      147 miles!  That's a half decent month for a lot of people - that's truly amazing!  I think you'd need a 24hr sleep after that baby!!  Congrats DB!

Congrats DB!   We need some details when you're recovered enough to tell us about it.

Nice little track meet in Oregon yesterday!!

ksrunr All American 10K Feb. '10 Cowtown Half marathon Feb. '10 Boston '10

gregw

Dopple Bock - What can we say?  A couple things that put it in perspective for me are that it's almost twice as many miles as I've ever run in a week. For another, it's close to 5 miles a day for an entire month. Absolutely amazing.

It's totally going to screw up his daily run distance graph.  All those 10-20 milers are just going to look like noise surrounding this 147-mile peak.

It was more than stellar...

Dopple crushed the course record (which was set in 1999) by over 11 miles.

147.2 miles (still needs to be verified).

His 100 mile split was 15:40:31 as I was there to officially record it.

Dopple Bock is the ultimate running machine!!!!!

Congratulations, Dopple Bock -  you inspire!

Wow. That's amazing. I'm really looking forward to hearing some details on this one......

Congratulations on the huge win.

John

Goal: Age grade over 80% on a certified course.

It's totally going to screw up his daily run distance graph.  All those 10-20 milers are just going to look like noise surrounding this 147-mile peak.

ha... I didn't even think of that.

I hope he writes a race report - although how much of 147 miles could one really remember? Yikes!

Congratulations DB - your training and what you do blows my mind... its too much to comprehend.

Crazy... I'm thinking he might be good for the USA 24-hour team with that, no?

DoppleBock

It was more than stellar...

Dopple crushed the course record (which was set in 1999) by over 11 miles.

147.2 miles (still needs to be verified).

His 100 mile split was 15:40:31 as I was there to officially record it.

Dopple Bock is the ultimate running machine!!!!!

Congratulations, Dopple Bock -  you inspire!

Thanks - I wrotea little report, but when I hit post - my computer dropped me ... I will post something tomorrow.  An amazing weekend.  The best part for me was that my wife crewed for all of my race needs the whole 24 hours and we accomplished it together.

Sore ... very sore today!

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

kcam

DB,  Congratulations on a helluva run.   Using another poster's words  - "Recover well", you earned it!
                    AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Wow, you guys...couldn't help but notice how similar our PRs are, NeedACleverName and Alan.

Let's use the new table feature, just for kicks...

5k  10k  HM
                       NeedACleverName  18:13  38:38  1:24:28
                       alan fletcher  18:06  38:38  1:25:28
                       Dakota RR  18:13  38:39  1:24:04

The marathon is a different story. Mine is 3:30:28, but it's three years old and the only one I've run.

MTA: I'm also running Chicago with a Sub-3 goal, so we should make arrangements to meet up at the start!

Hey, I'm 18:12, 39:21, 1:37.  Oh, hm, looks like I lack the endurance of youse guys... Smile

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

kcam

Hey, I'm 18:12, 39:21, 1:37.  Oh, hm, looks like I lack the endurance of youse guys... Smile

That 1/2M is soft, AP!  When's your next 1/2? I got a feeling it's gonna go down, a good bit.  Me?  I'm beginning to think I'll never get to your blazing speed at 5K!

18:58, 39:17, 1:24:15. 

I was gonna keep my nose out of this since I'll probably never see these times again, but...

19:00, 38:35, 1:24:09

5k and half were last fall and 10k was last May. I've got no excuses if things don't pick up in next couple months, though. I'm about 95% healed now, which is probably as close as any of us ever gets.

Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
                            I think I'm the misfit, but my 5k is soft. Hopefully that will change in a month...

19:13 (1st 5k of 10k, but my 24:17 4-mile ~18:36), 38:49 10k, 1:26:40HM

I'm also official registered for Chicago also (switched from BayState, I got a late charity entry).

Right on Hereford...

Jim, I would love to see you go under 3 hours this year. In fact, I'm sure everyone here would! And you've got the race results to back it up. Your times just get better the longer the distance.

dcv and others, do you think we should start a "Sub-3 at Chicago mini thread," or is that just one too many goal threads? We have quite a little group here going for it.

DoppleBock

Wow. That's amazing. I'm really looking forward to hearing some details on this one......

Congratulations on the huge win.

John

Fans24 Report (Re-posted from the swamp)- If you are interested - If not ignore

Weather - 1st 3-4 hours mist and light rain, next 4-5 hours light to moderate rain, after that some mist, mostly dry.  Temps between high 40s and low 50s - Main worry for me was to keep my feet dry and to watch for hypothermia.

1st out and back is 1.656 miles and I was amazed at how fast people took off this year.  I tried chatting with a couple of people, but they were going too fast for me.  To me it was all about taking care of your body and getting to 100 miles in 16 hours in the best shape possible ... if there was a race to be had it would start at 20 hours. 

The laps start clicking off and my crew (Wife Jill) is doing an awesome job.  Ever 2.417 mile lap she jumps out from the tent area walks with me for 50 meters, giving me my nutrition and asking me what I want next lap.  She did this flawlessly for 24 hours straight!  My strategy was to run (Jog) the whoel 2.417 mile loop and walk just 2 minutes each loop at a part the was most into the 10-15 MPH wind.

By the 4th hour, my feet are getting really wet, but if it keeps raining like this, my 5 pair of shoes are going to have to stretch, so she change #1 and #2 were delayed as long as possible.  It is a fine line between foot preservation and she conservation.

Fairly early we see this 5k race on the road next to the park.  Its almost comical, the gun goes off and within 400-500 meters this guy has 100 meter or more lead ... he looks fast, but the rest of the group looks pretty slow.  (Turns out the 5k stud was JScovill)

I hit 50 miles in 7:30 and 100K in 9:25.  Its a blur, but somewhere in here JScovill jumps on and chats with me for a few.  I don't think I am a sexist pig, but I think its funny that I have been chicked so far in the race.  Jill hit 50 in @ 7:00 and 100k right around 9:00.  The 1st time she laps me I tell her I am feeling good, but I do not want to get greedy as the goal is >135 and national team elgibility.  Its too bad, she later falls into hypothermia and missed her 120+ for women's national team elgibility.  

After the rain stopped and we had mist, I went to my short sleeve tech shirt.  JScovil jumped in for 1 more filling me up with possitive thoughts - Lady's watch out for someone that can lie with such a straight face, but it still hlped my possitive chi.  He mentioned that it was likely as cold it was going to get - high 40s.  That really suprised me as I was not cold - I had to lift up my shirt to make sure my core area was warm - yet I was in a temperature perfection zone - The temps were perfect for this big horse.  Each lap I noticed many people being treated for hypothermia, it got me paranoid enough I went to a long sleve tech shirt as I left my arm wamers at home (Thunder Smile )

100 miles in 15:40 - New development, the inside of my right knee had some searing pain.  I stretched often in the race - maybe 20 times, maybe I over stretched??  But from here on out I would fight searing pain inside of right knee and sharp pain outside of both knees.  My stride had to shorten a bit to keep in bearable.  I prayed for my knee to hold together, but also excepted that God's will would be done. 

When I hit 200k, I knew I would walk it in and break 135, but kept going.  I think 2 laps I walked 4 minutes, instead of the standard 2, but all others I shuffled along at a jog.  The nutrition kept going down the laps kept clicking off and with 2 hours to go I took 2 ibuprofen (Bad Dopplebock).  At @ 22:30 into the race, I hit lap 57 (1 short at 1.656 + 56x 2.417 = 137 miles) - They rang the cowbell and anounced I broke the record, I felt the emotion like I did when I finished my 1st marathon, held back tears as I went through tent city to find my wife and give her a big hug and kiss.  Then I took my nutrition and got back out there - I felt really good from here on out.  Each lap they rang the cowbell again and I got a big cheer.  With 25 minutes to go, I had to decide if I were going to do another lap, my last one was in 24 minutes or go to short 220 yard laps.  I hate short 220 laps, but it seemed foolish to go for a full and fall short as only completed laps count.  So back and forth with the other 90+ people, but there was a lot of energy in the air and in Dopplebock.  I managed 5060 yards - 23 short laps and then with 15 seconds to go walked back to my camp and again kissed and hugged my wife and had a beer with my friend and fellow competitor Richard.

JScovil, Richard - Wayne and Joe helped us pack up the truck.  I again have to thank JScovil for hanging out with us, the pizza and beverages and making sure we didn't need anything - Very nice.  Richard for coming competing, supporting me when his day was not going as well as he liked and being there for us to the end.  Wayne and Joe for supporting my support crew, the tend and all the help.

After I showered and Ate, it was a repeat of last year - I had to lay of the floor, light headed - until the awards.  Wow did they make me feel special - Danny Ripka set the course record in 1999, he was there and presented me with 1st place.  They did talked about how their lap mileage chart that only went to 60 was now obsolete.  It really was special and I love that I did it with the best crew imaginable.

Now - Time to recover - I hope to able to jog again tomorrow.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !