After the run (Read 1138 times)

BeliasX

Never Back Down

Just looked at the Planche training link
    Thats defying gravity Shocked I never tried that before, might get good at it later Yes Thanks for the info noteye
    "No pain, no gain."
      So out of 10,000 people, how many do you think, can do full Planche's Surprised Yeah I think I'll just get down and do a couple dozen Cool

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

So out of 10,000 people, how many do you think, can do full Planche's Surprised Yeah I think I'll just get down and do a couple dozen Cool
        How many people run sub 5 miles? Just like running training, it's just a matter of commitment and consistency. Even if one were never to work up to a full planche, the progression exercises are good ways to improve strength with bodyweight only. That's what my original point was. God knows I can't do one myself, but knocking out 20 psuedo planche pushups is a lot different than knocking out 20 regular pushups.
        Brandon
        BeliasX

Never Back Down

If you stick with the training description you will be able to do it, nothing is impossible.. Wink
          "No pain, no gain."

Wobblebottom

my whole family had another look with me! Yep!!! your all insane if you think you can do that! Clowning around (Come on guys wheres your sense of humour.......so serious!)

Dave

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Just Be

Bodyweight only exercises can build good mass and great strength (male olympic gymnasts anyone?). You have to use harder exercises than you've chosen though. The one legged squats are as good as you can get with bodyweight only (although you can also add glute ham raises, but they're really ridiculously hard and easy to hurt yourself with), but instead of pushups, do pullups, dips and isometric holds (planche training, check these out, and this).
                Wow, thank you for those links! I've always wondered how to do those types of pushups. I'm gonna start training for it today! I wonder how much time it'll take before I can do one! Maybe 3 months?

Just Be

I just did 2 sets of 20 "pseudo pushups" - man, it's TOUGH! Shocked My wrists aren't flexible enough to bend backwards as much as that guy in the video. And now my wrists are killing me! Tongue I guess I can look forward to some crazy new muscle soreness in a day or two! Smile
                    I would prefer to get some rest and some food; otherwise, I only do push ups after warming up my abs, and I think running weakens the abs, so I stay away from any type of weight lifting after a run, I might stretch hamstrings and calves though while they are warm.
                      I'm curious as to why you think running weakens the abs. I don't know anything about what it does to the abs actually but since I started running my abs have gotten all different kinds of stronger. Not... like I'll-be-doing-planche-soon stronger but still... some improvement.
                      The Graduates - a community of post C25K runners!

Started Running 21 April 2008

2008 Running Goals
                      • Finish C25K 22 Jun 2008
                      • Run 5K 43:29 29 Jun 2008
                      • Complete a 10K fun run

Ham & Egger

I'm curious as to why you think running weakens the abs. I don't know anything about what it does to the abs actually but since I started running my abs have gotten all different kinds of stronger. Not... like I'll-be-doing-planche-soon stronger but still... some improvement.
                        Yeah, I don't think running weakens the abs per se. I do think, to the OP's initial point, the stronger one's core, the more likely one is able to ward off injury, develop better form, etc. FWIW, I usally do 3 circuits of core work 2x per week, with lots of single leg stuff: waterpumps, swiss ball push-ups, swiss ball bridge extensions, side raises. Also basic body weight stuff: chin-ups, V-Ups, supermans... You can make your strength routine as complicated as you want, and there's definitely benefit to being stronger. That said, I'm a higher mileage guy, and any routine that has me in the gym more than 1 hr. per week, and I tend not to be able to recover at the rate at which I need...
                        www.tuscaloosarunner.blogspot.com

Just Be

Well, the delayed onset muscle soreness is starting to kick in now. My shoulders and chest are getting very sore! I think this might take a year or more before I can finally do a planche pushup. I'm also training for the plank pullup simultaneously.
                            Well, the delayed onset muscle soreness is starting to kick in now. My shoulders and chest are getting very sore! I think this might take a year or more before I can finally do a planche pushup. I'm also training for the plank pullup simultaneously.
                            It's different for everyone, but I always feel pseudo planche pushups a lot in my lats a day later if it's been a while since I've done some. Good luck on your new quest, runner92. You make that sub 4:30 mile, planche pushups and plank pullups and you'll be an all-around beast. How about knocking out some dragon flags while you're at it? Smile
                            Brandon

Just Be

It's different for everyone, but I always feel pseudo planche pushups a lot in my lats a day later if it's been a while since I've done some. Good luck on your new quest, runner92. You make that sub 4:30 mile, planche pushups and plank pullups and you'll be an all-around beast. How about knocking out some dragon flags while you're at it? Smile
                              Haha, don't tempt me! Big grin I really want the planche pushup and plank pullup training because I see the value that it has in replacing a whole lot of my current core exercises. I'm primarily doing it to help with my running ability.
                                Haha, don't tempt me! Big grin I really want the planche pushup and plank pullup training because I see the value that it has in replacing a whole lot of my current core exercises. I'm primarily doing it to help with my running ability.
                                Hey, even if you weren't doing it to improve your running, more power to you. They're all secret goals of mine, for no other reason than to say that I can, but I haven't prioritized them enough to devote the time to them that it would take. You're right though. Those combo moves hit your core and total upper body all in one time efficient package, if only you can manage them. If you've never seen it, another source of interesting "just because I can" tricks can be found at Beast Skills. That dude is just sick.
                                Brandon