2016 Holiday Running Streak (Read 351 times)

oldrunner59

Hit my mileage goal today. The streak continues Smile

oldrunner59

Wow I can't imagine the run, but I can imagine the satisfaction when you were done. Way to go! Oh and by the way we're all crazy Smile

Snowed in in the Colorado Rockies. Roads out of here are closed, but we are warm and have food and electricity. It was snowing hard after Christmas Eve festivities, and I got to bed at 3:00 am.  When I woke up, the snowfall from above had stopped, but the air was filled with horizontal snow. Gusts reportedly 60-80 mph.  The wind didn't let up all day. I came so close to giving up on my 975 day streak, and family was not encouraging me, but this afternoon I bundled up and went for the minimum.  To quote from my log:

Never done a run quite like this. The wind was gusting to ~80mph. Seriously. It was brutal as a headwind, but harder as a crosswind, when staying upright was the challenge. Actually, upright is an inaccurate term, since I probably was at like a 45 degree angle. Also, the wind gusts would blow one leg into the other, trying to trip me. It was awesome. Streak is alive. Merry Christmas!

Yeah!  Best story yet, Led.

"Shut up Legs!" Jens Voigt

FSBD

The secret of change is to focus all of your energy, not on fighting the old, but on building the new.

We are the music makers,

And we are the dreamers of dreams,

Wandering by lone sea-breakers,

And sitting by desolate streams; 

World-losers and world-forsakers,

On whom the pale moon gleams:

Yet we are the movers and shakers

Of the world for ever, it seems.

mileage goal hit, still in, still no treadmill. Probably last shorts run of the year.

LedLincoln  great way to keep the streak going!

Get off my porch

Day 34 for me yesterday; 14 mi short of my annual target and <4 mi shy of the December goal so the streak has once again helped me immensely this year.

A  wiser man than me would learn from past history and get better at doing the miles earlier in the year rather than count on the streak to reach my annual goal, but no one ever said I was wise.  

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Wow I can't imagine the run, but I can imagine the satisfaction when you were done. Way to go! Oh and by the way we're all crazy Smile

Strangely enough, this run did not ease my family's concerns about my sanity.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Back in wifi land, I can share a couple of pics.

Christmas Day (taken through the window - I couldn't have handled my phone during the run)

Boxing Day, nippy but beautiful:

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Day 31. Merry Christmas Eve everyone!  Get those runs in.

"To the top of the porch! To the top of the wall! Now dash away, dash away, dash away all!"

Loved this quote. Smile

Joann Y

Strangely enough, this run did not ease my family's concerns about my sanity.

If it's any consolation, I like you all the more for sharing running this run.

FSBD

The day 35 quote is in honor of LedLincoln's crazy run in the Rockies.

"Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."

We are the music makers,

And we are the dreamers of dreams,

Wandering by lone sea-breakers,

And sitting by desolate streams; 

World-losers and world-forsakers,

On whom the pale moon gleams:

Yet we are the movers and shakers

Of the world for ever, it seems.

ch17

It's Tuesday every day

Great job, everybody! LedLincoln, love those photos! Miss the Rockies (spent 22 years in CO prior to becoming a DC swamp monster).

And.... hit my Dec mileage goal today. YIPPEE! Note to self: be more conservative next year. :-D (Upped it 25 mi from my highest 2016 monthly mileage, which didn't seem unreasonable at the time, but which in early Dec left me wondering "WTH was I thinking?!?" as I pondered how to stay ahead through two out-of-town trips.)

Side benefit: fingers crossed, I may mow down 2016 Pace Bunny on Sat. *That* seemed un-doable even on Thanksgiving.

Stay vertical, my friends,

Christine

doctorjen

I hit my 2016 mileage goal today, thank you holiday streak!  (2016 miles)

Led Lincoln - loved your photos. The blizzard one looked nuts, though.

Christine - way to go!

Outside Lane

Hit my streak mileage goal!  Thanks FSBD for putting it together!  Still pushing on - is the last day 12/31 or 1/1 (if we want to stop our streak)?

See how they run...

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

If it's any consolation, I like you all the more for sharing running this run.

Bet you would've come along had you been there! Smile