Wireless headphones (Read 123 times)

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Just received my Afterskokz Xrainerz -- charged'm up -- went for a run.

These are SUPERIOR.

Since moving to Chicago, where all my runs are relegated to the Lakeshore path -- which isn't as bad as running in the cloned houses of suburbia, but isn't as varied as the rolling neighborhoods of Charlottesville -- I've tried several podcast solutions.  Mostly they involved a Sony Walkman NWZ-E436F (3 of them in 6 years) and Cheap-o "sports" headphones"  (18 of them in 6 years).

The Walkman + headphones had lots of the usual problems.  Wet = broke.  One side would lose its speaker.  Sound was crap.

I've only been on one run with the Xrain but wow, this is exactly what I was looking for.  Podcasts are clear as a bell.  No noticeable vibration in the bones of my jaw or on my temples.  Fits snug, but not too tight.  Doesn't feel like it's going to plop off.  Very lightweight.  About as comfortable as prescription glasses on the ears.  No phone necessary.  Nothing to hold in your hand while running, or worrying about the cord inching up your shirt while you sweat.  And a simple MTP MP3 device.  (Only thing better would be if it bluetooth synched with my Podcasts app and gave me the top 3 from my playlist before I went out.)

I haven't really tried navigation, but my expectations are appropriately low.

Best thing is that you can hear when people talk to you, without having to pull plugs or even stop your podcast.  Though, you are a bit more susceptible to ambient noise (nearby Lakeshore Drive).

Folks, thanks so much for the recommendation.  If these last 2 years, I'll get more than my money's worth compared to alternatives.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

@stadjak; Have you tried them with sunglasses? That's one concern I have. The wireloop earbuds I use don't affect my sunglasses. Otherwise I'm all-in for the Xtrainerz. The sound quality on test Aftershokz in sporting goods stores was very good.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Sorry, Bill.  Cannot comment on how they work with sunglasses -- don't own a pair.  The over-ear hook is about the same thickness as usual over-ear headphone hooks, but there is a box behind your ear that might interfere.  I really don't know.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do