Head for the hills...it's another newbie! :P (Read 1580 times)

Teresadfp

One day at a time

It seems like I was supposed to jump from 8 minutes to 20 minutes in one shot. I couldn't do it. My running partner and I modified the plan and increased by a couple of minutes each time. Worked for us! Just do however much you can, but be persistent!
      I have never done nor am I familiar with the C25K program, but from what everyone says, it must be a really good program for a brand new beginner.......However, Anytime you start increasing you mileage or your times then you need to do it slowly. If you can run 5 minutes and the plan calls for 20 minutes, then you probably should modify the plan and do 7 minues....SO WHAT if it takes you a little longer to get there...that's not the point, the point is that you are doing it. So be careful not to increase to quickly.....but keep pushing yourself at the same time. I wish I knew more about the specific brooks that you mentioned but I don't. I do know that I used to run in Brooks a few years ago and really liked them........yoiu can probably look them up on line and learn a little about them....... The best way to increase your speed, mileage and time are to not get impatent and dont try to do it to quickly...SO WHAT if you are running 15 minute miles (all of a sudden they will start getting faster - it kind of works like magic if you keep going out).....the speed will come but it might take a while......ENJOY

Champions are made when no one is watching

Speediest Slug There Is!

Welcome goddess9! I'm a new runner too, just finished the C25K last week. I feel great. Smile By the time you finish you will feel like an honest-to-goodness runner. Now I'm doing Spring Training and the final run in THAT two month program is a 6-miler! Can you believe it? I don't think I ever ran a combined mile in my life until I started C25K and now I can run 3.2 miles max! And yes, that first 25 minutes is terrifying, and you think you will never be able to get through it... but you will! Overwhelmingly people in my graduating C25K class found that the 25 minutes was WAY easier than they expected it to be -- we were all amazed at ourselves! I'm telling you it's the perfect program for new runners. I wish you the best of luck with everything! Be sure to give us updates...
        Fall seven times, stand up eight.
        Goals:
        *Complete a 5K (no walking)
        Tortoise and Hare 5K, 42:05, 13:35 pace PR
        *Weigh 160 lbs 5 to go!!!
        *15 mpw base

Hoping to Run Again :-(

I have a few questions: 1) Since I have pretty flat feet, I got fitted and chose Brooks Addiction 6's. Any opinions on them? 2) I know I'm thinking ahead, but the jump from 5-8 minutes ---> 25 minutes is SCARY. How did you guys do it?!
          First off, I'm sorry I missed your first post hon - I'm so proud of you for tackling the C25K! You are gonna love running, especially the newfound energy it gives you - and the obsession that takes over that makes you crave that next run - I love that part Big grin As for your questions: 1) Did they do a "gait analysis" at the store? One where they watch you run? Maybe you mentioned that you were an over-pronator and I missed it, but be a bit careful about the Addictions. I was mis-led and "prescribed" them once - when I actually have a neutral gait and don't need a "motion control" shoe. I found they gave me knee pain, sought a second opinion and have been trouble-free ever since with a neutral shoe. Just my 2c. 2) You will be amazed how little by little (and verrrry sloooowly) you'll be able to increase your time. It seems like a LOT now, but you'll get there. The key is not worrying about speed. Don't try to beat a specific mile time at this point. I didn't do the C25K (although I did do the One Hour Runner after being out of the game for a long time and loved it.) but I do believe in running for time not distance when you're starting out. In other words, don't stress yourself out if you can't run a 5K in 30 min. kind of thing. HTHs - Take care and keep us posted - we're cheering you on!
          ~ Fly ~
          Only as much as I dream can I be.
          veggies on the run
            Goddess, I'm nearly at the end of C25K (actually part of the same "class" as Racing Slug...hello olives), and that big ole jump in week 5 was incredibly daunting for me. When I first saw that (when i was in week 2 or 3 or something) I was like, holy sh*t there's no way I'll be able to do it, but everyone assured me it would be OK. I think I made it 17 minutes into that run before I finally came to grips with the fact that I could in fact do it. I guess the way to look at it is during W5D2 you're running a combined total of 16 minutes, even though there's a walk break in the middle. Walking is still an aerobic activity. So you've conditioned yourself for 21 minutes of aerobic activity, it's just that this time there is no walk in the middle. I told myself going into it that I'd slow wayyyyyyy down in the middle for a few minutes. I normally run at 5 mph (on a TM), so I said, if I feel like I need a break after 8 minutes, I'll slow it down to 4 mph. That'll give my heart time to "rest" but I'll still be running. Turns out during that run I didn't need to slow down, but now that I'm working through week 6 (this will be a repeat after taking last week off), I have found that I need to slow down a little if it's really hot or there are other factors increasing my HR. BTW, I use a polar HRM and I dig it. I've had it for 3 years. Does yours have the calorie counting feature? I LOVE that. It's so motivating to see how many calories I burned while i was at the gym (or mowing the lawn, cause yeah, I strap it on for that too, just to see).
            2009 Goals:
            PR 5K (Ha, current 43:10)
            Run a 10K
            Meet Seasonal Weight Loss Challenges
            Complete my first Sprint Tri

Jazz hands!

1) Since I have pretty flat feet, I got fitted and chose Brooks Addiction 6's. Any opinions on them? 2) I know I'm thinking ahead, but the jump from 5-8 minutes ---> 25 minutes is SCARY. How did you guys do it?!
              1. I run in these. They're okay. Kind of heavy, but they help my right knee issues, though sometimes make my left shin funny. Pretty heavy motion control. I think I'll try something else for my next pair. but hopefully they'll work for you. 2. You're thinking about it all wrong! Either think of it as running 16 minutes, then 20 minutes, or think of it as running two 8-minute chunks with a break, and then two 10-minute chunks without a break. Thinking of it as doing 8 mins, then 20 mins will not do you any favors.
              run run run AHHHHHH run run run
              SteveSwede

Congrats on taking charge of your life! I agree with what people have said this far - basically run slow, and keep the stride natural. I have pretty flat feet myself. I have tried out a number of shoes, but found that I find Nike most comfortable for my flat feet. And, you can run for up to 60 minutes without having to drink water (in normal conditions - that is not too hot), it is a matter of habit - just don't bring the bottle along.

The young Mama Bear!

Noteye, I intend to jog at a slug's pace for those 25 minutes, LOL. Teresadfp, thanks! If I find I can't do the full 20-25 minutes, I'm going to implement extra weeks with a few minutes tacked on at a time. Like Week 5.5 would be a 15 minute run or something. Good idea! Smile John A, yet again I must thank you I'm not particularly proud of being slow, but I keep trying to remember that I have 40 pounds to lose, I will be much quicker once I shed some pounds, and this is helping me knock those exact pounds off. I will go slooooowly, but I will get it done. As for the shoes, I hear they're good for overpronators. Confused Good luck on your endeavors! Smile RacingSlug, wow! Congrats! Big grin I'll take your word for it...you'll be hearing from me about it in t-minus 4 weeks! Maybe earlier, since I think I got ahead of myself! Maplefly, I totally agree! I can't wait for the next time I'll get to run (which I think will be tomorrow bright and early) Big grin. 1) On the subject of the gait analysis, yes I did! I thought it was weird that he was going to watch me run, but it makes sense to me now, haha. He tried explaining my gait but I think we both got confused LOL. I tend to land on the outer side of my mid foot and roll in. He said it wasn't that common, but if I felt comfortable with it, I should keep doing it. When I got fitted, he said I had a little bit of an arch, but then I put my weight on my foot and it disappeared LOL. I am indeed an overpronator, so big clunky shoes it is! Tongue 2) I've decided from all of the wonderful advice (including yours) that I'm going to start jogging like a turtle. I don't care how I look while jogging outside! Thank you times a million! The support really helps me keep going. JennerVT, I wish I could go quicker than 4 MPH haha. And yes, it's a Polar F4. I do believe it counts calories burned. Smile Squeaky, that sounds odd, but not really. My right knee got a little hollow sounding upon striking, so I'm hoping it's not the new shoe! They are quite clunky but they do help my non-existent arches. As for the timing, that's a good idea! SteveSwede, that's an interesting way of putting that. I think it's more of a running addiction than anything. :P I overheat very easily (even in overcast weather), and it's probably because I'm about 40 pounds away from a weight that my body is comfortable with. I bought a nifty handheld that velcros, and I'm trying not to drink so much so I can avoid it just sitting in my tummy.
                  Couch to 5K support group! Short-term goals: - Sub 35 5K - Complete my 16-week 10K training plan.
                  Long term goals: - Sub 30 5K. - Compete in a 5K. - Train for a triathlon. - Compete in a 10K.
                  Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

The first 20 min run in C25K is more mental than physical. Take it nice and easy and you can do it! And when you are done, you'll feel awesome! And, if you have to modify, you can do that too and still feel awesome! As is said earlier, the program has actually conditioned you for it! I found it was easier for me to run continuously than to run and then walk a few before running again - I found that my feet just wanted to keep running. When I did the C25K, other people started to say the same thing. You can do it!!!!

TRUST THE PROCESS

Hey Goddess --- just an FYI... Today I decided to up my Wed run to 4 miles and so in order to completed the distance and have something left for tomorrow, I slowed down to about an 11 minute pace and walked a few times up a couple of hills just to make sure I made it and still feel good...........(now Ive been running for along time tho I am now recovering from a long layoff)....if you figure my walks and my slower pace today, I probably averaged around 12 minutes a mile (maybe a little slower).......but I wanted to complete the distance so I slowed down on purpose..... We all do it - we all slow down and sometimes walk...... SO don't think you are the only one.... JohnA

Champions are made when no one is watching

The young Mama Bear!

Kerry, it's amazing how far I've come in just ONE week of jogging. I thought I couldn't jog for a minute but now I can do twice that amount if I really push myself. To think what I can do in a few more weeks! So you're saying if I can keep running in the weeks before the 25 minute jog session, I should do it? John, I can only hope to 'just do' an 11 minute mile! You're right, though. If I have to move so slowly turtles pass me, but I can finish it, that's just what I'll do! Thanks, you two! I'll try and pop my head in after my first day of Week 2 tomorrow! Smile
                        Couch to 5K support group! Short-term goals: - Sub 35 5K - Complete my 16-week 10K training plan.
                        Long term goals: - Sub 30 5K. - Compete in a 5K. - Train for a triathlon. - Compete in a 10K.
                          Goddess, I don't have any more advice to offer because everyone else has already offered you great advice. I did want to extend a pat on the back and tell you Great job! One thing that is always an encouragement to me is the "Before and Now Pictures" thread under the "Look What I Can Do!" forum. It is always fun to see people making great progress and posting pictures. So if you ever need an upper on a day when you just plain don't feel like running, head over there Smile
                          Don't look at me, I'm just here to run.

The young Mama Bear!

Goddess, I don't have any more advice to offer because everyone else has already offered you great advice. I did want to extend a pat on the back and tell you Great job! One thing that is always an encouragement to me is the "Before and Now Pictures" thread under the "Look What I Can Do!" forum. It is always fun to see people making great progress and posting pictures. So if you ever need an upper on a day when you just plain don't feel like running, head over there Smile
                            I didn't even notice that forum section existed! What a great area! Smile Thank you so much!! GUYS!!!! I finished W2D1 and I feel fantastic. It wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. After I finished the intervals, I cooled down and walked about 1/4 mile away. I challenged myself to jog back home --- and I DID IT! Can you imagine it? All 213 lbs. of me jogged 1/4 mile in less than 3 minutes! I was rapt, absolutely rapt. Who knew I'd ever smile after jogging? This is coming from the person who thought she couldn't jog 60 seconds without wanting to die. In fact, I wanted to do MORE! Surprised Is this an addiction yet? Blush Oh, I've got to rave about the Polar F4. Fantastic little gadget. And the chest strap doesn't bother me at all --- I'm wearing it right now and I don't even notice it. I have a question about it: if I reach my recommended maximum heart rate, should I stop? Every time I jog more than 60 seconds, it freaks out on me...but I can't just stop, you know? I want to finish the interval but I'm afraid that if I do that too much it'll be bad for me. Advice?
                              I have a question about it: if I reach my recommended maximum heart rate, should I stop? Every time I jog more than 60 seconds, it freaks out on me...but I can't just stop, you know? I want to finish the interval but I'm afraid that if I do that too much it'll be bad for me. Advice?
                              Run even slower, so that you don't hit your upper limit on HR if you can help it. I know it doesn't seem possible, and it can be really really frustrating at first. I've been there. I started C25k without a HRM, running 10m/m for the intervals. Then I got an HRM about 4 or 5 weeks in. I had to run 14:30m/m to keep it down. That was a really painful blow to the ego. But, honestly, after I got over that, it made the running much more enjoyable. It was honestly EASY. Not easy in name, but EASY. I wasn't panting anymore, but breathing just a little harder than I did just sitting around. Now, after some time, I'm back up to 12:30m/m or so at the same HR, and it still feels great. It'll happen for you too, but you have to give it time.
                              Brandon

The young Mama Bear!

Run even slower, so that you don't hit your upper limit on HR if you can help it. I know it doesn't seem possible, and it can be really really frustrating at first. I've been there. I started C25k without a HRM, running 10m/m for the intervals. Then I got an HRM about 4 or 5 weeks in. I had to run 14:30m/m to keep it down. That was a really painful blow to the ego. But, honestly, after I got over that, it made the running much more enjoyable. It was honestly EASY. Not easy in name, but EASY. I wasn't panting anymore, but breathing just a little harder than I did just sitting around. Now, after some time, I'm back up to 12:30m/m or so at the same HR, and it still feels great. It'll happen for you too, but you have to give it time.
                                Thanks! That really helped...now I don't hit my recommended max, even if I'm huffing and puffing. Tongue Okay, I asked this in the C25K group, but I just finished W3 and I'm shaking in my sneakers when it comes to W4 and on! How on earth can I run 5 minutes when 3 minute intervals took alot to pull out?