Question for the Mizuno lovers (or likers) (Read 1374 times)

I've been recently converted from ASICs to Mizunos. Loved the Inspire 4s and ran my first half in them 10/12. They have 220 miles on them but recently I developed minor PF and runner's knee on the left knee/foot and a sore big toe/extensor tendons on right foot. The toe box over time seemed to fit a little tighter on the right foot. But I have NO shin pain and I haven't been able to say that in years. So, they've been good to me and maybe it was running the BAA Half pretty hard that caused the aches. The BAA Half is also pretty hilly and cambered pavement throughout. I went to the running store today and walked away with a new pair of Wave Riders. Same size but they felt a little longer and roomier in the toe box. They had that same nice feel of my Inspires. Sales guy said there have a bit more cushioning than the Inspires. I know Jscovill alternates between the two (I searched first before posting - good of me, no?). Who else has run in both? I just don't want to make a mistake and end up with hurt shins. I do have 30 days to run in them and can return if they don't work out.

xor

I thought that inspires were a lot more stable (that is, they are a stability shoe) than riders, which I think are neutral shoes. Interesting to flip between the two. I race long in Alchemys. Once upon a time, I trained in Inspires, Alchemys, and sometimes Nirvanas. I switched out for Brooks because I can get 500 out of my Adrenalines and Trances, but I am lucky to get 300 out of the mizuno shoes. That's just me. Everyone is different when it comes to shoes.

How are you liking the Adrenalines? I switched from Inspires to Adrenalines and the jury is still out for me. My left foot seems to slap more in the Adrenalines but the shin pain I was getting with the Inspires has improved.

Menace to Sobriety

Not to hijack, but: SRLopez, what differences do you notice, if any, going between the Alchemys and the Adrenalines?

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

xor

I'm a bad person to ask about stuff like that. I like the Alchemys better than Adrenalines... slightly. My feet are a bit more comfortable in them. But they certainly don't last as long for me. Note well, both Mizuno and Brooks change these shoes year to year. I've never had a problem with the changes. The changes to the alchemy over the years have all been positive. The changes to the Adrenalines haven't affected me either way. BUT... and this is why I'm a bad person to ask... I know lots of Adrenaline wearers who have not liked the changes in the recent models.

Adrenalines gave me shin splints. Nike Structure Triax gave me bloodcurdling shin splints. Neutral shoes (ASICS Landreths) gave me shin splints. Inspires - no shin splints. But toe box feels tight so shoe guy recommended Riders. Felt good in the store but now I'm worried that they may not correct my mild overpronation. Wish I could stay in Adrenalines - they do seem like a shoe you'd get a boatload of miles out of. The Mizunos did seem to break down quick. Comparing mine with the new ones showed the heel compressed after only 220 miles.

Menace to Sobriety

Thanks for the reply. That's kind of why I'm asking. The change from Adrenaline 7 to 8 was a little bothersome for me, and how there's a 9 due out soon. Maybe they'll be better, but maybe not, just scouting out some options for alternatives. Thanks again.

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

Is it just me or do the Adrenalines seem stiffer than the Inspires. Of course I've got less than 100 miles on the Aderenalines so it may be too soon to make that statement.
                    Is it just me or do the Adrenalines seem stiffer than the Inspires. Of course I've got less than 100 miles on the Aderenalines so it may be too soon to make that statement.
                    Not just you. Adrenalines are much stiffer from my experience. I was slapping the pavement in the Adrenalines. My foot strike was much louder than in the Mizunos. And my shins definitely felt it. MTA: My original question remains: Since the stability of the Inspire worked, why would the shoe guy recommend the riders? Am I being stupid?

I'm only on my 3rd pair of running shoes ever, but my first pair were Mizuno Wave Rider 10. I loved them - but I only got about 250 miles on them. And beleive me, when the odometer hit that number it was like they instantly gave me a problem. I went out on a 6miler one day and limped all the way back after mile 3. Thats when I learned i had suddenly developed ITBS. Did the therapy thing and got new shoes and it went away. I dont know if it was defintely the shoes or just my tight hips (I learned that from therapy). And since I'm still very new to running, I can't form a definite diagnosis. However, my second pair of shoes were Adidas Bostons. I just hit 230 miles on them and again, I suddenly felt some pings and pangs going on. No knee problems again, thankfully, but I knew it was going to be time for new shoes very soon. I went to the NYC marathon expo this past saturday and TOTALLY got suckered (well, not really) into buying the new Mizuno Wave Rider 12. I was told they're not on the shelf yet, but who knows. And the price was right! I have yet to run in them b/c I'm gonna try still wearing my Boston's on my shorter runs. But I've worn them a little bit at work (just to see if they bother my feet at all) and they have felt really great so far. They're so pretty too!! But since my other two shoes seemed to crap out at 250 miles, I'm not expecting much more than that from the new ones. I guess I'm just a heavy runner.
                        I am lucky to get 300 out of the mizuno shoes. That's just me. Everyone is different when it comes to shoes.
                        Yeah. I was lucky to get 400 comfortably with Asics, and I have three pairs of Mizuno Inspires with 600, 550, and 150 each, and still going strong in them.
                          MTA: My original question remains: Since the stability of the Inspire worked, why would the shoe guy recommend the riders? Am I being stupid?
                          As a shoe guy myself, I'm not exactly sure what your shoe guy's rationale was for the switch. Perhaps your overpronation is mild enough that it became secondary to getting a good shape. I think if you only mildly overpronate, you could get away with the Riders. I notice you're from the Boston area, was it a Marathon Sports you went to? If not, I'd suggest dropping into the closest one and giving them your story. I don't just tell you this because I work for the store, there is always someone working that can check your gait and help you out.
                            As a shoe guy myself, I'm not exactly sure what your shoe guy's rationale was for the switch. Perhaps your overpronation is mild enough that it became secondary to getting a good shape. I think if you only mildly overpronate, you could get away with the Riders. I notice you're from the Boston area, was it a Marathon Sports you went to? If not, I'd suggest dropping into the closest one and giving them your story. I don't just tell you this because I work for the store, there is always someone working that can check your gait and help you out.
                            Thanks Bells! Yes, it was Marathon Sports in Melrose. They've been great and very patient with me. And I think you're right about the justification for the switch. but I'm heading back there later this week to try a couple more shoes to be sure.

The problems you describe are exactly the issues had when I ran in a stability shoe (I am actually a supinator when I run but have flexible ankles when I walk; the store misdiagnosed me as a overpronator) . In addition to the shape, your overpronation may be light enough that a true stability shoe is going to cause you problems. I say, give them a try. My riders while neutral also feel very stable and so far are a wonderful shoe. I am a little worried about how quickly they will wear out but I am planning to get a couple more pairs to rotate so the cushioning has a chance to decompress between wearings.
                              You may find my running Vlog at Run Cast TV and my running log here

Right on Hereford...

I've been recently converted from ASICs to Mizunos. Loved the Inspire 4s and ran my first half in them 10/12. They have 220 miles on them but recently I developed minor PF and runner's knee on the left knee/foot and a sore big toe/extensor tendons on right foot. The toe box over time seemed to fit a little tighter on the right foot. But I have NO shin pain and I haven't been able to say that in years. So, they've been good to me and maybe it was running the BAA Half pretty hard that caused the aches. The BAA Half is also pretty hilly and cambered pavement throughout. I went to the running store today and walked away with a new pair of Wave Riders. Same size but they felt a little longer and roomier in the toe box. They had that same nice feel of my Inspires. Sales guy said there have a bit more cushioning than the Inspires. I know Jscovill alternates between the two (I searched first before posting - good of me, no?). Who else has run in both? I just don't want to make a mistake and end up with hurt shins. I do have 30 days to run in them and can return if they don't work out.
                                I have both the Wave Inspire 5 and the Wave Rider 12. I liked the Inspires, but I LOVED the Riders. Note that I also have a good number of miles on a pair of the Rider 11's and liked them ok, but the Rider 12's seem to blow them away in terms of cushioning, fit, softness, and overall feel. I, too, have needed mild stability (I've run most of my 2006-2008 miles in a Nike Air Structure Triax) but I haven't had any issues in the Wave Riders, even though they are supposed to be neutral.