More miles than degrees club (Read 4509 times)

joescott

NR:  Impressive!  I took a picture of myself this morning after my 10 miler in 4 F, but ain't no way I'm posting it after seeing yours!!!

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

NikoRosa   Re: "I looked at the weather forecast and almost had an orgasm when I saw it is supposed to be above freezing on Sunday." LOL!!  

*My Art Website  *My Run For The Critters

1980 Humboldt Redwoods Marathon  PRs:  5K 31 • 10K 1:09 • HM 2:43

July 29th, 2017 Jug End Loop Ultra (Half MarathonTrail Run) 

I've never had any problem with my eyeballs freezing lol.  I wear contacts, maybe that helps.

This was from my -14 day.

How do you keep your eyes open with ice balls like that?  When I get ice balls on my eyelashes, they pull my eyelids shut.  Fortunately, it's only a problem at temperatures below about -10 to -15 deg F.

One club I wish I wasn't a member of!!!  I really love the challenge of running in cold weather.  Roads very slick here.  Fell twice today.  Ouch.  Didn't hurt anything but my pride.  4 miles in 2 degrees

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Ha ha, great snowlashes, you two!

JimR

5 1/2 lunchtime.  -2F, 20 mph winds.

spinach

Nine miles this morning and the temperature was -14°F.  One of the challenges is to get the lowest product of temperature and miles.  I am glad I got into the triple digits this year  (-126 °miles).  Now I am ready to get back into the more degrees than miles club.

NikoRosa

Funky Kicks 2019

How do you keep your eyes open with ice balls like that?  When I get ice balls on my eyelashes, they pull my eyelids shut.  Fortunately, it's only a problem at temperatures below about -10 to -15 deg F.

They do get heavy but I don't have a problem keeping my eyes open normally.  I think once I had one eye close on me and freeze up, but I could have just stopped and pressed my fingers on it to melt it.  My hands stay pretty warm, especially after a few miles.  I wear a ridiculous amount of clothes, you guys would all laugh at me.  I actually really dislike being cold, so I wear just about everything I own.

spinach, geez you have to be the thread winner with that spread!!!  (Or was it the ultra marathon guy?) It's going to be about that temp here by tomorrow morning but I don't plan on 9 miles, maybe 8 at the most.

Leah, mother of dogs

keeponrunning

Way too easy to do this as of late.

Saturday-- 9.5mi, 3F (windchill -13F)

Sunday-- 3.1mi, 3F  (windchill -14F)

Tuesday-- 6.2mi, 1F

Tonight (Thursday)--  5.63mi, -8F (windchill -23F)

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Regular workouts with lashweights. Increase reps and weight as your eyelids get stronger.

NikoRosa

Funky Kicks 2019

-13, 8 miles.  The weather jerks are saying one more week of this nonsense.

Leah, mother of dogs

DonK

Long time member, first time poster : -7 / 4 miles. At least it was sunny.

onefatchick

The weather jerks are saying one more week of this nonsense.

Seriously??!!  That is actually good news!!  I was beginning to think there was no end in sight to this miserable weather.

Nice strong 5 miler this morning earning 11 MMTD points since it was -6 when I headed out. Whoot! 

NikoRosa Meant to ask you, do your dogs ever have problems with their feet? My old dog (who always runs with me) has started to have severe issues with the ice and salt hurting her feet. I've ordered her a pair of "Mutlucks" boots to help protect her feet. Do you use boots on your pups?

*My Art Website  *My Run For The Critters

1980 Humboldt Redwoods Marathon  PRs:  5K 31 • 10K 1:09 • HM 2:43

July 29th, 2017 Jug End Loop Ultra (Half MarathonTrail Run) 

NikoRosa

Funky Kicks 2019

Nice strong 5 miler this morning earning 11 MMTD points since it was -6 when I headed out. Whoot! 

NikoRosa Meant to ask you, do your dogs ever have problems with their feet? My old dog (who always runs with me) has started to have severe issues with the ice and salt hurting her feet. I've ordered her a pair of "Mutlucks" boots to help protect her feet. Do you use boots on your pups?

I only run with my male dog, my female has severe hip problems so she can't run with me.  I don't have problems with salt on his feet, I live so far out in the country that they don't really use salt, they use sand on our road instead.  And our favorite road is a seasonal road that gets no maintenance at all, so we are on plain snow.

He has cut his paw on ice on our own property in the past, but never on the road.  The only problem he has with his feet is just getting too cold.  Anytime the temp goes into the single digits, I leave him at home.  He will run with me in those temps, but he limps and I feel terrible seeing him like that.  If he starts limping (and I can't see anything wrong with his paws) I bring him straight home.  His limit is 8-9 degrees F, under that and his paws are too cold.

i have not tried any booties, lots of people suggest a product called Musher's Secret, which I guess is a balm you put on their paw pads that is supposed to protect the tissue, but I have not tried it.  My reasoning is that he logs 50+ mpw most of the year with me, so he deserves a lower mileage winter season to give him a break.

A few years ago I did buy a set of RuffWear brand shoes for my female dog (who is even more cold sensitive than my male) but she managed to fling them off within moments of putting them on her.  We chalked it up to a failed experiment.

Leah, mother of dogs