2022 Advanced Racing Thread (Read 497 times)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

This could be a bad thing. Historically I go checkers or wreckers (PR or ER) in races and I could go all “Rocky 4” showing you nothing you do will break me. I’m comfortable being uncomfortable.

Brings to mind you pulling away up the very first hill of CIM...

JMac - Sorry to hear about the knee issue, best of luck with the continued rehab.

Mikkey - Bravo on the race.

DWave - "Copy/paste comments from HM thread". That's about all I can think of. Though that's more of a political will vs military might thing. Walter Cronkite's lying arse about the Tet offensive...
    Or perhaps we could cherry pick the battle of the Alamo...

Sizeable cut-back week after the HM. Back to it this week! Hopefully it'll only take me two weeks to catch/get ahead of my yearly mileage goal pace.

Weekly for period: From: 04/04/2022 To 04/10/2022

Date Name mi km Duration Avg/mi Avg/km Elevation Gain
    in ft
    04/04 1 rabbit and more invisible, yet audible, turkeys 8.06 12.96 01:09:11 08:35 05:20 318
    04/05 1 rabbit & lots of fog 6.05 9.73 00:52:33 08:41 05:24 207
    04/06 Slightly progressive effort the last 6 whole miles 12.40 19.95 01:37:08 07:50 04:52 410
    04/07 2 owls & 2 rabbits 6.01 9.67 00:53:06 08:50 05:29 302
    04/08 1 rabbit 8.05 12.96 01:07:23 08:22 05:12 312
    04/09 1 deer (1 stride) & 1 owl 14.05 22.61 01:53:02 08:03 05:00 492
    04/10 2 hawks 4.05 6.52 00:35:27 08:45 05:26 177

Total distance: 58.67mi

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

I won't even bother posting my "training". I did a few runs, tried some stuff, something always an issue. Achilles flared up a little but not terrible. A couple days off and it was runable. However, something is also amiss with the left quad. Been nursing it for a few weeks now and it's not getting any better no matter what I try. I'll be taking a couple weeks off now. Maybe someday...

Next Races: Fools Run 10 mile (4/2/22), York Marathon (5/15/2214/23), Stupid Marathon TT (June 2022)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Brings to mind you pulling away up the very first hill of CIM...

That's nothing. If I was to put it into perspective I'd be Sylvester Stallone in Rocky 4.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Running Problem

Problem Child

I forgot to mention: this is not the case unfortunately. The qualifying window for 2023 starts September 1, 2021, which unfortunately means there are a few of us that really need to get out there and run a race to qualify!

The qualifying window for the 127th Boston Marathon, scheduled to take place on April 17, 2023, began on September 1, 2021

according to some quick internet research.

EDIT: The weather for Monday's race looks pretty good. Almost reminds me of CIM. 40-50F with ~50% humidity and an 11 mph wind. Sounds just like CIM 2019 when I was afraid of a PR with a 20 mile long headwind.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

Running Problem

Problem Child

Typical position of this nice country - there will be no winners but us. 

Huh?  Anyone who participates in a marathon is a winner.  Every single person on this thread is a winner!

In a competition between you two there would be no winner. Just a lot of people who have to suffer through more discussions about a race where one of you finished ahead of the other for some reason. Whoever comes out first can always bag on the one who didn't which doesn't make them a winner in my book. No one would win in this situation because the person who beat the other looks like an asshole, while everyone else has to suffer through more of the same nonsense. I know. Difficult concept for the older part of the Gen X generation to conceptualize.

VDOT 53.37 

CalBears

In a competition between you two there would be no winner. Just a lot of people who have to suffer through more discussions about a race where one of you finished ahead of the other for some reason. Whoever comes out first can always bag on the one who didn't which doesn't make them a winner in my book. No one would win in this situation because the person who beat the other looks like an asshole, while everyone else has to suffer through more of the same nonsense. I know. Difficult concept for the older part of the Gen X generation to conceptualize.

Yeah... Unfortunately, there is still no change here - a lot of words and not a ounce/gram of anything making sense. Just a bunch of unrelated words that probably mean something to somebody. Reminds me a sentence generator my 7 years old used recently to send me a message to my phone - very close in the meaninglessness of it . But the credit should be given where a credit is due - you are pretty unique individual in a sense of impossibility to grasp what you are saying in most of the cases. I know I know - I am not Gen X, so, obviously I am not among the ones to understand.

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Us! We are winning. Netflix is so boring of late 🥱

Cal Vs Mikkey at Boston 2023.

What is your gut feeling…who will win?

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Running Problem

Problem Child

Yeah... Unfortunately, there is still no change here - a lot of words and not a ounce/gram of anything making sense. Just a bunch of unrelated words that probably mean something to somebody. Reminds me a sentence generator my 7 years old used recently to send me a message to my phone - very close in the meaninglessness of it . But the credit should be given where a credit is due - you are pretty unique individual in a sense of impossibility to grasp what you are saying in most of the cases. I know I know - I am not Gen X, so, obviously I am not among the ones to understand.

Got it. Old people don't understand how annoying their bickering is to other people and are so self absorbed they're incapable of change. Best of luck with upcoming marathons Cal. It was really great meeting at CIM and hope one day to actually have the same skills and abilities in running as you do at your age. Like you said at the finish line "let me see you do it at 53." Hope you're around in 15 years to see it. I'd really like seeing you at the finish line in your wheelchair for a photo.

VDOT 53.37 

Mr MattM

Damn it!  I wish I could still race!

be curious; not judgmental

Speed Surplus

Hey, late weekly dropping. On a semi-vacation and haven't had a chance to get to this until now. Will catch up later.

Weekly for period: From: 04/04/2022 To 04/10/2022

Date Name mi km Duration Avg/mi Avg/km Elevation Gain
                      in ft
                      04/05 Easy, smooth, AND fast?! 10.01 16.10 01:16:22 07:38 04:45 446
                      04/06 Recovery on short rest from last night 6.01 9.66 00:50:47 08:27 05:15 174
                      04/07 A bit sloggy, but got it done. Singlet weather! 6.71 10.79 00:54:34 08:08 05:03 253
                      04/08 A mighty wind (tail and head) 6.98 11.22 00:54:57 07:52 04:54 410
                      04/09 Getting it done 6.21 10.00 00:49:33 07:59 04:57 180
                      04/10 Long one. Should have brought water 16.12 25.94 02:08:40 07:59 04:58 509

Total distance: 52.03mi

5:27 / 18:49 / 40:32 / 88:12 / 3:12

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Damn it!  I wish I could still race!

Are you not able to run now or have you retired from running?  We need more self absorbed has-beens on this thread. 

I’m old enough to remember a great punk band called Generation X…the lead singer was the one and only Billy Idol. 🤘

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

HermosaBoy

I’m old enough to remember a great punk band called Generation X…the lead singer was the one and only Billy Idol. 🤘

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

Mr MattM

Are you not able to run now or have you retired from running?  We need more self absorbed has-beens on this thread. 

Great race, BTW...

I probably told the story about busting the big toe on my right foot some years back.  It's now what they like to call a 'compressed joint' where the bone going into the joint is now slightly below the joint, and there is no more cartilage.  I have recently returned to low and slow mileage wearing (gulp) Brooks Ghost.  No more racing flats for me.  The good news is, I can hobble jog 5 miles at a time without needing many days off.

I am running more for health now.  I think my crazy running days are behind me now...

Hell, I don't even know Generation X... must have been a UK thing... 

be curious; not judgmental

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Great race, BTW...

I probably told the story about busting the big toe on my right foot some years back.  It's now what they like to call a 'compressed joint' where the bone going into the joint is now slightly below the joint, and there is no more cartilage.  I have recently returned to low and slow mileage wearing (gulp) Brooks Ghost.  No more racing flats for me.  The good news is, I can hobble jog 5 miles at a time without needing many days off.

I am running more for health now.  I think my crazy running days are behind me now...

Hell, I don't even know Generation X... must have been a UK thing... 

Thanks and sorry to hear about the big toe issue as I must’ve missed that update. Running for health is the proper sensible thing to do at our age…but I’m still chasing the dragon.    There’s nothing to stop you giving some advice on this thread…even if it’s only those 2 words. 

HermosaBoy - Great pic of Billy and he still looks great at 66yo. 👍

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Got it. Old people don't understand how annoying their bickering is to other people and are so self absorbed they're incapable of change. Best of luck with upcoming marathons Cal. It was really great meeting at CIM and hope one day to actually have the same skills and abilities in running as you do at your age. Like you said at the finish line "let me see you do it at 53." Hope you're around in 15 years to see it. I'd really like seeing you at the finish line in your wheelchair for a photo.

Milkman - This needs to be on the notable quotes on page 1.