Dangerous Hardcore Jogging (Read 384 times)

jezama

I will take my chances and keep running more than the 'recommended' amount. Live dangerously... I have also taken the tags off my mattresses on occasion....

Walk-Jogger

I will take my chances and keep running more than the 'recommended' amount. Live dangerously... I have also taken the tags off my mattresses on occasion....

I most likely won't live to be 90 anyway, so I'm going to jog as far and as fast as I can, while I still can. This study and it's author(s) can go take a flying leap.

Retired &  Loving It

Feeling the growl again

The article is bunk.  Not only is the sample size ridiculously small for this type of study, but they excluded people with pre-existing conditions, justifying it by saying they were excluding selection bias.  But what it did was throw out bad actors, who I guarantee were heavily weighted towards the sedentary people.

It is equally possible that people who can remain healthy despite inactivity have better genetics and are predestined to live longer.

I take a look around me at the people I know who do less than 2 hours a week of exercise, and I see a population of people with high rates of diabetes, obesity, high blood pressure, and other problems.  I look around at those who exercise, and I see a population of relatively healthy people with far fewer problems.

I'll take my chances.

One can over-do about anything.  But this "study" sets the bar ridiculously low.

If I ever injure a joint to where I'm going to ruin it by continuing to run, I'm sure I could find something else to do.  But so far so good.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

jpdeaux

Whew! My average over the course of 16,000 miles is only 6.966 mph, so I'm good. By the skin of my teeth. I'll just have to find something else to worry about. Like how long it will be before the damn Patriots win another Super Bowl.

m: spelling

Joann Y

That's it. I'm out.

Joann Y

By the way, this is the same nutty James O'Keefe that we have discussed before. Multiple times. Again and again. He's good at generating a lot of discussion if nothing else. Discussion is probably not the right word. Exposure?

Feeling the growl again

By the way, this is the same nutty James O'Keefe that we have discussed before. Multiple times. Again and again. He's good at generating a lot of discussion if nothing else. Discussion is probably not the right word. Exposure?

Good catch.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

pedaling fool

I do agree that if one is always pushing themselves during exercise (not just running), then you are doing more damage than good; we do need some time of just moderate stress in order to recover. However, we also need times where we are pushing ourselves, i.e. HIT. It's just as important to develop one's anaerobic capability as their aerobic conditioning.

However, what I don't like about the article is how they set an arbitrary level of intensity in which they say: "Vigorous running -- faster than 7 miles an hour...".

You just can't establish a perfect zone on this type of thing. What determines a perfect zone depends on the person and that person's zone will change as they progress in their chosen activity.

joescott

O'Keefe again.  <yawn>

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

joescott

they excluded people with pre-existing conditions, justifying it by saying they were excluding selection bias.  But what it did was throw out bad actors, who I guarantee were heavily weighted towards the sedentary people.

^^^^^^^

This is what O'Keefe always does.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

O'Keefe again.  <yawn>

Oh, it's him again. The same purported study, no doubt.

Mysecondnewname

The main data of the study are cited below.  To me, a critical limitation of the study is the low number of deaths in the small sample size of "strenuous" joggers, which led to a rather large 95% confidence interval  (0.48 to 8.18).

Until a sufficiently large prospective controlled study is done, I fear we are going to be left with a lot of literature that isn't going to be able to answer the question.

Joann Y

I'm just going to have to go with common sense here.

npaden

One pretty obvious statistic is that adjusting out for smoking, alcohol intake, education and diabetes makes the study a winner.

That knocked out 19 of the participants from the sedentary group and 8 deaths. That's a 50% death rate.  Seems like we might should focus on staying away from some of those things rather than strenuous jogging!!

Taking those same things out of the joggers resulted in several participants being removed by not a single death rate.

The clear conclusion is that if you are a jogger of any kind that you can smoke, drink a lot of alcohol, have a poor education and even have diabetes and it won't matter!

Age: 50 Weight: 224 Height: 6'3" (Goal weight 195)

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)