Frothy protein shakes! (Read 1224 times)

This isn't quite a direct answer, but it does address the frothiness. I find that smoothies come out too frothy if I use any dairy other than non-fat. I've found the best solution to be rice-milk and a few spoonfuls of non-fat yogurt. I'm not sure what kind of protein I use in them... my local health food store has something branded with their name on it, so you'd only find it by name if you're from my town. Anyway, it is a vanilla flavored whey protein. I don't notice a frothiness change if I don't use it.

-------------------------------------
    5K - 18:25 - 3/19/11
    10K - 39:38 - 12/13/09
    1/2 - 1:29:38 - 5/30/10
    Full - 3:45:40 - 5/27/07

JakeKnight

True. There is no whey anyone could be whey too knowledgeable about the wheys in which whey may be beneficial in some whey. If you whey the pros and cons, you'll see that whey is the whey to go.
      No whey!

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
      -----------------------------

Hoodoo Guru

My protein shakes are made from fat free milk, eggs, yogurt, bananas and vanilla.

The tangents are moot.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

My protein shakes are made from fat free milk, eggs, yogurt, bananas and vanilla.
          More importantly, do you like monkeys?

A Saucy Wench

Wait, I think I figured it out. I just ran 9 miles. Easy on hills. I went to get a frothy drink that contains protein (and carbs) and a certain je ne sais quoi. You folks are right, it is doing wonders. I feel great, nearly recovered. Very frothy. Very refreshing. But I still can't figure out why you'd want to blend it. Confused
            oatmeal stout...my favorite....can I get that on a nitro tap? Its a little less frothy that way

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Hoodoo Guru

More importantly, do you like monkeys?
              I eat them raw.

The tangents are moot.

I use Optimum Nutrion's 100% Whey Gold Standard. It cost a bit more, but it's worth it. It mixes easily - no blender. It tastes good too. I usually mix mine about 30 minutes before I'm ready to drink it, and shake it up every 10-15 minutes for good measure. Then it's like chocolate milk.
                I totally agree with this brand. I have the Mint Choc one, and it's really yummy. Especially when you blend it with bananas, peanut butter, and soy milk.. Clowning around
                "Some people create with words or with music or with a brush and paints. I like to make something beautiful when I run. I like to make people stop and say, 'I've never seen anyone run like that before.' It's more than just a race, it's a style. It's doing something better than anyone else. It's being creative." - prefontaine

SMART Approach

ON 100% Whey Gold Standard is a very good quality protein with a high percentage of whey isolate/peptides but not the best out there. It still says Whey Concentrate in label. Whenever that is listed it means dilution. The CFM Proteins are the best quality and more expensive but I think a bit less expensive than what you are paying for the ON. Pro Source has an excellent CFM brand as does Integrated Supplements which has no artificial sweetners in their Whey Isolate formula. http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/integrated/wheyprotein.html http://www.integratedsupplements.com/intsup/intsup0002.qandaarticles?p_pid_c=&p_article=WHEYPROTEIN http://www.integratedsupplements.com/intsup/intsup0002.qandaarticles?p_pid_c=&p_article=SUCRALOSE http://www.prosource.net/product.jsp?path=-1|6477&id=11518

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

CherryDG

I totally agree with this brand. I have the Mint Choc one, and it's really yummy. Especially when you blend it with bananas, peanut butter, and soy milk.. Clowning around
                    Good to know! I have the Vanilla Ice Cream flavor and it's pretty damn tasty.

The Greatest of All Time

I use ON Gold. It's top notch. But I also use Met-Rx packets as a meal replacement when I need to. They are more vitamin dense then just whey powder and also have casein protein which is slower digesting than whey. EAS Myoplex is the same. If you're into protein supplementation, and I know all of you are not, here is something that I learned from bodybuilders: Take in some whey with casein protein before bedtime so you have protein available all night to repair muscle damage. Whey is very fast digesting (~45 minutes), whereas Casein takes up to 6 hours. And BTW, milk is a blend of both casein (82%) and whey (18%). My last run of the day is usually at 7 or 7:30. By the time I get home, shower, lay out tomorrow's clothes, and make my lunch it's about 8:45. I typically go to bed at 9 and I rarely want to eat a big meal that late, especially if I ran hard. On more days than not, I have a 1/2 pack of Met-Rx in skim milk and call it a day.
                      all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.

dork.major dork.

More importantly, are the eggs raw?

Reaching 1,243 in 2008 -- one day, one week, one mile at a time.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Met-Rx packets as a meal replacement when I need to.
                          Why?

The Greatest of All Time

Why?
                            How did I know you were going to chime in? Wink Honestly, my stomach does not want 'real' food after a hard or long run. Liquids are much easier for me to get down. But I promise I eat my fruit and veggies during the day!

How did I know you were going to chime in? Wink
                              You've got "Trentdar" Big grin

Michelle

The Greatest of All Time

You've got "Trentdar" Big grin
                                He just doesn't like me, even though I love monkeys!