Need New Shoes!! Suggestions On Brands/Has Anyone Tried Nike Plus? (Read 1991 times)

I have been a loyal Nike customer for 7 years now for everything from spikes/running shoes to basketball/casual wear. I want to know what brands/types of shoes you all have had good experiences with. For the most part I don't do much sprint work. I run on virtually every terrain: track, pavement, treadmill, grass, basketball court...everywhere. My greatest points of impact are my heels. After a few runs in the rain/melting snow, a few steps in the puddles, a few soggy socks & a few blisters I can tell that Nike Free isn't for me LoL. For those that have tried or know someone who tried Nike Plus, how did it go?!?! All feedback appreciated Smile

SMART Approach

What type of shoe have you had success with - neutral, stability, motion control????

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

MrH

Nike Plus is just their name for the integration with the sensor placed in your shoe with a device, sometimes an iPod.

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

Nike Plus is just their name for the integration with the sensor placed in your shoe with a device, sometimes an iPod.

I know Smile I wasn't asking about a type of shoe per se but the system. Pros/Cons of use etc.

What type of shoe have you had success with - neutral, stability, motion control????

I honestly couldn't tell you. I have always just went with whatever fit on my feet to be perfectly honest. So I guess treat the topic like I haven't ran a day in my life & am buying my first pair of running shoes LoL Wink

SMART Approach

I recommend going to a local running store and get analyzed a bit. Try on some shoes, jog around store etc. to find the right fit and type of shoe for your foot. I personally like the Saucony Trigon Ride and Brooks Ghost which are both rated highly. These are neutral shoes as I wear custom orthotics. They work for me but certainly may not for others.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

MrH

I wasn't asking about a type of shoe per se but the system.

I guess I was misled by this statement. Smile

I want to know what brands/types of shoes you all have had good experiences with.

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

I know Smile I wasn't asking about a type of shoe per se but the system. Pros/Cons of use etc.

Why would you go through all your history, type of workouts, terrain, foot strike weather conditions and latest type of shoe if you were asking about a system to track your distance/pace?

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

In my experience with the NikePlus device, it worked just fine in its tracking and whatnot.  Even un-calibrated, I found its footpod unit more accurate on hilly terrain than my GPS-equipped Garmin.  The two were pretty equivalent on "normal" terrain.

The NP unit and website are not particularly full-featured.  And it locked up my iPod once or twice.  When I got my Garmin, I gave my NikePlus unit to a friend I run with.  His previous device had been locking up his iPod regularly.

My two cents: for shoes, use what feels good and lets you train without issues/injuries.  For run tracking: if you want a gizmo, the NP unit is good enough (so long as it gets along with your iPod).  If you want deeper data collection or analysis, it's hard to beat the value of the Forerunner 305.  But Polar also makes some nice units, if you don't want to go the GPS route.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

I didn't find the Nike Plus system to be even close to accurate.  I thought it was pretty worthless.  If you never vary your stride, it might work better.   Get a Garmin.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

I didn't find the Nike Plus system to be even close to accurate.  I thought it was pretty worthless.  If you never vary your stride, it might work better.   Get a Garmin.

+1 for the Garmin recommendation...............and +1 for the shit-for-accuracy of the Nike Plus.  I ran one time with a guy who used one and we went like 3.25 miles and his Nike + said something like 2.4 miles.   Junk, just junk.....

Keep the running and fitness up and keep the weight from coming back.

Run more miles than last year.

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

I agree. I've never used Nike Plus, but I know my stride is all over the place. +1 for Garmin!

TRUST THE PROCESS

Ostrich runner

-1 for messing with a garmin, +1 for not getting a Nike gimmick.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

Obviously, trying on shoes until you find the best one is the smartest thing to do. But hands down for me, Brooks is the best shoe I have ever worn. Not only is it the best shoe, it's truly a running company that doesn't dabble in other sports. I like that about them. They focus on one thing and make it better and better every time.

Q: Why would you go through all your history, type of workouts, terrain, foot strike weather conditions and latest type of shoe if you were asking about a system to track your distance/pace?

A : For the sake of not having two different threads? Two questions with a similiar root: running shoes. If someone tried Nike Plus, then that meant they were wearing Nike running shoes... hence a possible shoe suggestion. I didn't expect my questions to be analyzed & responded to rhetorically. No offense.