Does this sound like a tibial stress fracture? (Read 188 times)

kilkee

runktrun

The first link does provide some references to decent studies...but isn't really applicable to young adult/middle age runners with bone issues in extremities:

"Based on the research reviewed, the authors concluded that there is a lack of high-quality evidence that vitamin D intervention alone will prevent hip fractures in this population; however, they said, there is high-quality evidence that vitamin D in combination with calcium results in a small reduction in hip fracture risk. Also, they noted strong evidence linking the combination of vitamin D and calcium supplementation with a statistically significant reduction in the risk of new non-vertebral fractures.

The studies reviewed used a broad range of vitamin D doses, which may have impacted results. The authors emphasized that, while vitamin D is important for bone health, it was clear that the combination of vitamin D and calcium supplements was more effective than vitamin D alone for preventing fractures.

Kirsti Uusi-Rasi and colleagues in Finland aimed to determine the effect of exercise training, vitamin D, and the combination of both on reducing the risk of falls in older women.7 This two-year randomized trial included 409 white European women between the ages of 70 and 80 with a history of at least one fall during the previous year and no vitamin D use...

...According to the researchers, vitamin D was not found to enhance the effect of exercise on physical functioning; however, vitamin D maintained femoral neck bone density measurements and increased trabecular density in the tibia."

^so, promising results, but in 70year old women.

And a lot of the other literature is similar: increasing BMD in femorial necks of 50+ year olds, and strong correlations between taking magnesium and bone health, but no magic bullet has been uncovered.

Not running for my health, but in spite of it.

kedward777

Thanks Everyone,

Just for the sake edification, here is some background:

I am using the downtime (swimming, cycling) to think about the cause. I see some possible causes.  1) I do a lot of cycling on mountains which really developed by calves dis-proportionately,  2) I was running on a country road that had an aggressive slant to both sides causing uneven hips and foot strike (Although I did try to run in the middle). 3) I did ramp up mileage too fast  training for a marathon. 4)  I banged my shin hard in my garage -and then noticed a lump not to long afterwards on my shin (coincidence or not).

A year ago, I started to have an ache on the outside lower left leg that would disappear after the first mile, but gradually over the year I would feel a twang the day after a run just walking -kinda came and went, but I ignored it (bad). Then, after a year I saw the bump and the pain became increasingly worse and the bump tender to the touch. So I am not totally  sure if I had the signs of a stress fracture, and my stupidity ignoring the warning signs, caused it to develop into the DBL fracture, or if the bang on the shin contributed in some way.

Thanks for the encouragement. I can see I need to really watch the vitamins/diet and stretching/massaging,  things I often neglect.

cookiemonster

Connoisseur of Cookies

I am not sure why I feel the need to defend myself as I am not making any claims just providing tips. Cookie, you are kind  of coming off In a negative fashion with your comments toward me. I have not said certain nutrients will cure anything. Have I??  I am not making stuff up-simply stating the benefits of certain nutrients to optimize bone health. Isn't this what this site is about-to provide education, tips, insight, real life experience?? I encourage everyone to do their own research. 99% of the people I talk to have not heard of Vitamin K2 (MK-7). I think it is crucial people learn more about it for not only bone health but also heart health.

Here is some recap on importance of the listed nutrients for bone health and their synergistic properties. I am here to help people, BTW.

http://www.nutritionaloutlook.com/jointbone-health/bone-health-cofactors-new-science-vitamin-d-k2-magnesium-and-zinc

http://www.lifeextension.com/magazine/2008/3/protecting-bone-and-arterial-health-with-vitamin-k2/Page-01

http://www.vitamindwiki.com/Vitamin+D,+K2,+Magnesium,+etc+increase+bone+density+when+taking+together–+Jan+2012

As I mentioned before in our previous discussion I was asking out of honest, genuine curiosity.  My research has been more consistent to what Kilkee noted.  The shortcomings of the research are there.  You're just so adamant about it I wondered if you had something I hadn't seen.  You don't.  So there's that.

It seems, too, that earlier in this thread you admitted to being an ortho sales rep.  I'm guessing it's for the same device you mentioned by name, and then refused to say if that was the device you sold, in that other thread.  Your refusal to make the disclosure in our other discussion certainly raises questions about the veracity of any other claims you make.  Transparency counts.

Your deliberate evasion, lack of transparency and unwillingness to engage in discussion prompted my repeat questioning today.  I was still asking out of honest curiosity.  That you have a problem with my questioning is on you.

Thanks for posting the links.  Hope you have a good holiday.

***************************************************************************************

"C" is for cookie.  That's good enough for me.

SMART Approach

Cookie, if continued interest in the science, here is an awesome book on Vitamin K2 and hugely evidence based. "Vitamin K2 And The Calcium Paradox" by Kate Rheaume-Breuer. Anyone who is interested in bone and heart health and wants to keep calcium in the bones and out of soft tissue like arteries, needs to read this book. Also, if you supplement with calcium and higher Vitamin D dosing, you definitely need to read this book.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

MakRunner

Run for your life

FIRST POST!

I am actually experiencing the same tibia pain and also not sure if its a stress fracture or a fracture itself. It's getting worse to where it is leading up to my knee, although, pain is bearable when pressure is applied when walking. I think I'm a novice runner, however, I do run 2-3 miles in the mornings 4-5 times a week. Well, recently its now a week and some days where I have not run fearing it may be something worse. Pain is still there. I'll follow what others are recommending on this post. Hopefully I get better to run at the same pace prior to the injury.

Running the Dallas Rock and Roll Marathon in March 2017!

Glad to join this forum!

Be blessed, be adventurous.

Be blessed, be adventurous!

SMART Approach

Mak, it could be shin splints. Is discomfort on a inside of shin bone when you press on it? Ice it 10 -15 min 3-4 times per day, calf stretching is very important as is dorsiflexion exercises to deal with shin splints. You can start with toe taps. Give it some time, cross train in meantime. Evaluate shoes too. You may need more stability or new shoes.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

MakRunner

Run for your life

Thanks for the tip, Tchuck!

Be blessed, be adventurous!