Humbled and Inspired... (Read 1308 times)

So yesterday at work I'm getting changed to go for my lunchtime run when I meet a coworker who used to be an ultramarathoning superstar back in the day. He invites me on the run with him and I accept. Now I know I'm not a fast runner, but I also know I'm not slow. Anyhow he takes off at a 6:45 pace... his easy pace, and I'm chugging along with him for the 6.5 mile route he takes me on. This didn't max me out, but wowee!! ! Now the thing is that I'm 23 and he's 57! I'm 24 years younger than this guy and he's workin' me. It was really neat though. He chatted the whole time about his racing career and such, telling me about he got cocky in the 100km world championship one year and "only" wound up in 4th, winning marathons, and so on. It was very inspiring and fun and I learned much about racing, training, and the first hand experiences of an elite ahtlete. I know I'll never get to his level, but I hope I'm in such good shape, spirits and vigor when I'm 50! I'm humbled and inspired by this experience. To train harder, and to be a runner for life!
      You're lucky. This old hippy triathlon guy (who now has "bad knees") cornered me the other day in the hallway and made me listen to 30 minutes of him repeating himself about how he once did an Ironman.

Feeling the growl again

Back in 2000 I entered a very small local 10K (maybe 40 runners). I'd PR'd at 5K the night before, so I planned on just a fast cruise effort. I was leading early, on maybe 35min pace, and this rather stocky guy runs up on my shoulder. He looked a little big and awkward to be competition, so I picked up the pace to drop him. He never dropped. By 5K, I was cranking as hard as I could and this guy just starts chatting with me about what a great day it is, and by the way take some water from the volunteers to make them feel good even if you don't need it. I finally told him that I appreciated the company, but I was dying and if he wanted a good run he'd better just take off. So he did, dropping sub-5 miles through the finish. After I finished he was already dressed and I asked him who he used to run for (he was obviously too old for college) and he replied that he still ran for someone, pointing to the "Saucony" on his shirt. It was Paul McMullen, just before he started his amazing comeback to PR shape and making his last World Championships.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

I ran the Fargo marathon on a bet which is run south 13 miles, run north 13 miles -- directly into 25-35 mph wind. When we made the turn, I happened to catch a man that was laboring a little. I asked if he wanted draft to me, thinking I needed some company and it would keep me moving (it was strictly a selfish act). At about mile 20 we finally introduced ourselves and we decided to significantly speed up. At mile 25, he just dusted me. He was waiting at the finish line and said "congrats, you BQ'd". I didn't know what that meant, so replied "thanks I guess you did to." He looked at me kind of strange and said "I'm 66, it was never a problem". He finished his 100th marathon in the fall of 2007 and is the ironman age group world champion. http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/news/sports/story.html?id=b47f22be-6293-4306-bfe7-5d9d63307832 Does he look 66 to you? amazing.. He is an absolute gentleman, an unbelievable athlete and an inspiration...
          And you know sometimes it gets so painful Just like talking to yourself When everything don't seem to have no rhyme or reason We all go Do do loo do do, do do loo do do Waiting for the sun to shine
            Since you guys are at it, I will just mention my hero Ed Whitlock. Most of you guys may already know about him, but for those who do not this is interesting read. http://www.canada.com/globaltv/national/story.html?id=078dc505-3dae-4e91-984e-d3a9ec33ac8b http://www.theharrier.com/marcbloomrunning/worldclassrunners/whitlock.php http://www.masterstrack.com/blog/archives/000335.html http://www.torontowaterfrontmarathon.com/info/photos/2003/gallery1/DF8F3352.html
            kcam

... and by the way take some water from the volunteers to make them feel good even if you don't need it.
              That tells me a lot about Paul McMullen's character - True Blue he is.

SMART Approach

Last year at the 10K Bellin Run in Green Bay I passed Bill Rogers at 3/4 mile and Uta Pippig at the 2 mile mark. Bill rarely races because of his aches. Uta was coming back from injury. She is such a sweetheart. I said hi as I passed her. With her little cute accent she say, "you look great, keep it up" as she waves to another fan on side of road. She runs whole race with a smile.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Greetings! Though I've been lurking on these forums for some time I have not as of yet posted. Today I was driven to do so by nature of the following... I read this thread yesterday evening, and then this morning, after a short run, I was passed by an individual who greeted me with a kiwi accent. After a moment of shock I asked "Nick Willis?" Shocked He stopped, turned, introduced himself, and was generally very pleasant. I'm certain I must have come off as lacking in wit, as my coherent thought process was temporarily suspended. I hope I didn't embarrass myself too terribly. Apparently his church was holding a 5k run in the adjacent park; he was warming up to lead a group through some stretches so he said. I'm amazed and quite appreciate that he stopped to chat briefly with a random not-runner-looking person walking slowly by. I'm still a bit out of it Big grin
                  kcam

Last year at the 10K Bellin Run in Green Bay I passed Bill Rogers at 3/4 mile and Uta Pippig at the 2 mile mark. Bill rarely races because of his aches. Uta was coming back from injury. She is such a sweetheart. I said hi as I passed her. With her little cute accent she say, "you look great, keep it up" as she waves to another fan on side of road. She runs whole race with a smile.
                    I guess I'll relate my Bill Rogers story! Several years ago I was running the Silicon Valley Marathon. I was at ~mile 21 (the difficult part of the race!) and there was no one running around me, just my lonesome. I started to hear footsteps slowly overtaking me, when he got next to me I realized it was Bill Rogers! I was thrilled. He slowed for about half a minute and we chatted about the weather and how hard this last part of the marathon was for me. Nice guy to do that. Then he gave me a hand-slap and took off - if I was any kind of runner I woulda tried to stay with him but I was struggling just to maintain my pace. I think I probably finished that race in the low 3's don't know what he did. Never forget that one. I guess Bill used to start these marathons in the back and work his way up talking to runners as he went.
                      Well, I haven't run with anyone famous, but I'll tell a story that made me respect an older runner (and I'm 54). Last Turkey day, i was running in my 2nd ever 10K. i had lost a little bit of my enndurance due to the clock changes which greatly hamper my running. Anyway, I'm still running a pretty good race, but the hills are kicking my butt. About the two mile mark, a guy comes up along side of me and gives me some words of encouragement. You know the same old stuff, keep it up, good pace etc. A quick look at him and I could tell he had a few years on me. We reached the top of the hill and on the downhill side, I let my long legs go to work and cruise leaving the guy behind. Next hill, as I'm struggling, he catches up to me again offerieng words of encouragement, something like putt my legs into it or something. Again at the top of the hill, I cruise down the backside leaving him behind. Finally we hit a hill that I just couldn't do it anymore and had to break down to a walk. He passed me offering words of encouragemet again, come on you can do it. By the time I reached the top of the hill, he was pretty far ahead. I kicked my legs and went into cruise. We were probably about a mile out. I slowly reeled him in and as we were approaching the last hill, I caught up to him. He was now starting to fade and losing it on the hill. I now offered him the encocuragement and challenged him, told him that there was no way he could let me beat him now. He just told me go on, finish strong. I hit the top of the hill and it was flat for the last 400M to the finish line and I just kicked in gear. I ended up only being about 20 seconds over my previous (first) 10K and was happy. I waitied at the finish line and the old guy finally lumbered in, the last hill and finish had done him in. I shook hands with him and we chatted as we grabbed a water. It was then, that I found out that he was 75 years old. I had just run a sub 38 10K and this 75 year old who pushed me the whole race, was just over 48. How impressive was that. i mean here I am happy that I've done my second 10k and both were sub 38 and here is this 75 year old guy finishing just behind me. But it was more than that, it was something about him, his kindness, his genuine care of a fellow runner/s . his too bad you ran out of gas on that hill, maybe you could have broken 37, it was all about what I had accomplished not at all about him. I will certainly look for this gentleman in the future.

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

I know a few folks who have raced with Bill Rodgers. By all acounts you'll not find a nicer, more down to earth guy.
                          When I ran for my university, I ended up doing a run with a guy that I'd seen at a couple of the workouts and didn't seem to be that much faster than me (ie a scrub). We were discussing goals and he mentioned that he wanted to break 14:30 for 5k. I thought he was a complete nut until he told me his PB was 14:56. This was a few years ago. I don't know if he got that 14:30, but I do know that he ran at the World Cross Country Championships last month.
                            http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/3/3_5/gardner-wins-national-24-.sh I had the amazingly cool opportunity to run with Connie! I didn't realize how amazing she really IS. I thought she was just the nice woman who runs the local running stores track workout! I find it really cool that I got the chance to train with an elite athlete. I was training for a 15k... and she a 24 hour race! Too cool!
                            Eustace Tierney

YoYo

No stars to run with where I come from - just the little leprechauns!

"The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." Goals: Keep on running!

kcam

'nother Running with the Stars story - I used to live in Austin, TX in the late 80's- early 90's. Lived in Westlake Hills which is a kind of uppercrust area of Austin. I was out running one Sunday morning through the neighborhood and came up on this guy running with two Doberman Pinschers. As I was approaching him I thought 'this guy is fricking huge!'. Anyway, I get up to him and looked over and said Morning and realized it was Earl Campbell. F***n Eh! No conversation or anything I just kept at my pace but it was pretty cool to see that guy up close. His thighs were as big as my waist. I think this must've been around '89. Nowadays, I hear that Earl can hardly walk anymore much less jog. edit: That's all I got as far as famous or semi-famous people I've encountered on runs!