The Evils of Pop/Soda (Read 1198 times)

Ok, everyone talks about how it's bad to drink pop. XC coaches tell their team to hold back at least during the season. Why? I can see why you might not want it right before a race, because of the high sugar levels, giving a peak in energy and then feeling terrible (I think that's how someone explained it). But, what about on other days? And isn't Gatorade pretty much plain sugar, too, (plus electrolytes and minerals and stuff)? Can someone exlpain this to me so that I can not feel like an idiot the next time I ask for water over coke? Confused mkg Shy

Here's a couple of reasons that I don't drink soda: 1. I don't really like the taste (I don't tend to consume sweet foods or beverages.) Discount that, doesn't apply to others. 2. In the case of Coke specifically (as you mention) I don't trust drinking anything that does such a good job of cleaning my toilet. (Coke is the second best cleaning solution around after vinegar.) 3. Soda is full of a sugars with little nutritional value. Many people run to keep their weight under control, and consuming the extra calories in a soda is counter-productive. Gatorade also falls into this category (although it tends to be fewer calories and not quite as bad) - I suggest using it during workouts and not drinking it as an every hour beverage. (Relevant article: Cut out sugar water to reduce weight gain) 4. Many sodas contain caffeine. Caffeine is an addictive substance and is worse for you than alcohol or tobacco, mostly because you don't consider the health implications of drinking it all day every day and we get our kids hooked on it at a much younger age than we do either of the other two vices. 5. Water is cheaper. My general suggestion is to keey yourself well hydrated with water by carrying a water bottle around and generally drinking water instead of the other alternatives. Having a soda on occasion is fine, but water is the best thing for you and by drinking it the majority of the time you'll tend to be better off. My 5 pence.

Run to Win
      25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Imminent Catastrophe

Additionally, studies show a link between heavy consumption of sodas and decreased bone density.
        Caffeine is an addictive substance and is worse for you than alcohol or tobacco
        Disagree strongly. You can hardly compare the health consequences of alcoholism and tobacco use to those of caffeine. JMHO.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Déjà vu

Michelle

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Déjà vu
            *cues Twilight Zone music*

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

For some reason this reminds me that I should call my dad.... Big grin

Michelle

Lazy idiot

Additionally, studies show a link between heavy consumption of sodas and decreased bone density.
                I've heard this as well. Something to do with the artificial carbonation eating away at your bones. Natural carbonation (beer) apparently does not have this effect, which is why it's so good for you. Big grin

Tick tock

I drink far too much Diet Mountain Dew, but I don't know if I'll ever consider it as bad as alcohol or tobacco. I can function in my daily life while consuming caffeine -- most alcoholics can't really function. Of course, it's eating away at my bones, so there's that... Still, I'm pretty sure lighting up a pack a day might kill me a little more quickly. Either way, one should avoid all those things, obviously. I'll confess I'm addicted to DMD. I get plenty of water, don't get me wrong. I drink it all day, in fact (or my mouth would get dry while I'm teaching). I just hate drinking water with food, unless said food is dessert or fruit. If I drink water with my chicken, for example, I feel like I'm drinking chicken. Weird, I know...but it's my whole reason for consuming diet soda. Seriously. And please don't suggest drinking fruit juice with my food -- it just doesn't "go." Hey, at least I switched from regular coke, which helped me lose 115 pounds. Even with the caffeine, I'd say I'm a smidge healthier after dropping all that.

I've already gone on about my caffeine stance elsewhere, but while I agree that an alcoholic or a chronic smoker is going to suffer more specific problems than somebody that consumes too much caffeine, far more people consume caffeine and cause my health insurance premiums to go up, making it more of a problem. That, and caffeine can make me go blind. Not that that's a problem, but when the blindness goes away the pain comes in, and that's no fun at all. (I recommend against taking up migraines as a hobby.)

Run to Win
                    25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

AMEN! Big grin

Vim

Another Passion

AMEN! Big grin
                        Yea, and The Soda Pop Board of America was probably handing out warm sodas at this years Chicago Marathon too, the evil empire. Angry

Rick
                        "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
                        "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
                        runningforcassy.blogspot.com

Imminent Catastrophe

I've heard this as well. Something to do with the artificial carbonation eating away at your bones. Natural carbonation (beer) apparently does not have this effect, which is why it's so good for you. Big grin
                          Or the phosphoric acid.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Lazy idiot

Or the phosphoric acid.
                            Yeah, that too. (I'm no scientist, here). But I do know that beer is still good.

Tick tock

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Burninated Peasant

FWIW, I just feel like crap when drinking pop/soda/coke/pepsi/insert regional name here. That general feeling of crappiness slows me down, so I don't drink it. As far as things like Diet Mtn. Dew go, diet sweeteners are bad too. My MIL got to visit the hospital last week for what the nurses at her doctor's office initially thought was a heart attack. It turned out to be a reaction to the ridiculous amounts of aspartame (Nutrisweet) that she had consumed through her Diet Coke addiction. Of course, that didn't stop her from refilling her ginormous Diet Pepsi at lunch on Sunday before leaving the restaurant.