Does Garlic Help To Improve VO2max? (Read 1068 times)

JakeKnight

Seriously? No. Seriously?

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
    -----------------------------

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Globule. You will also notice that for those with a delta that did not equal zero, they were all 2.9 (or 3.0, which is essentially the same thing). Biologic processes should not line up so neatly. This implies a measurement error. A different way to look at the data is this : did the garlic cause any difference at all? If 4/10 showed no change in a boolean operation, then the results would be NS. JK. Seriously. Cuz it is Monday. And when you start the day stupid, you spend the day stupid.
      jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Globule. You will also notice that for those with a delta that did not equal zero, they were all 2.9 (or 3.0, which is essentially the same thing). Biologic processes should not line up so neatly. This implies a measurement error.
        Yes, I did notice. I agree.
        So garlic either has no effect, or increases your VO2max by 2.9 (or 3.0) in one case. Confused Seems fishy to me.
        However, I am craving some garlic right now. Maybe if I eat enough, I can offset the loss in VO2max I'll experience during my upcoming vacation. Tongue

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

I think we can all agree that garlic increases the yumminess factor of many foods.
            Globule, the results would be NS.
            No shit?
            And when you start the day stupid, you spend the day stupid.
            No shit.
              Big grin http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/10/071016131534.htm
              Garlic Boosts Hydrogen Sulfide To Relax Arteries Eating garlic is one of the best ways to lower high blood pressure and protect yourself from cardiovascular disease. A new study from the University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB) shows this protective effect is closely linked to how much hydrogen sulfide (H2S) is produced from garlic compounds interacting with red blood cells. [...] H2S is a toxic, flammable gas responsible for the smell of rotten eggs. It’s also produced naturally by the body in small amounts, and as age advances, H2S production dwindles. Exactly how H2S affords the cardiovascular system so much protection is not entirely clear, but it may involve limiting oxidative damage in cells, Kraus said. “The role of garlic compounds in preventing platelet aggregation, which can trigger a heart attack or stroke, and in limiting cancer growth and the progression of several diseases is well documented,” he said. The new findings show H2S may be the mediator for these protective benefits. Future studies are being planned to better understand how much H2S production is needed through garlic or supplements to maximize those benefits.
                http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=2369091
                Résumé / Abstract Hypoxic pulmonary vasoconstriction underlies the development of high-altitude pulmonary edema. Anecdotal observations suggest a beneficial effect of garlic in preventing high-altitude symptoms. To determine whether garlic influences pulmonary vasoconstriction, we assessed the effect of garlic on pulmonary pressures in rats subjected to alveolar hypoxia and on vasoconstriction in isolated pulmonary arterial rings. Garlic gavage (100 mg/kg body wt) for 5 days resulted in complete inhibition of acute hypoxic pulmonary vasoconstriction compared with the control group. No difference in mean arterial pressure or heart rate response to hypoxia was seen between the groups. Garlic solution resulted in a significant dose-dependent vasorelaxation in both endothelium-intact and mechanically endothelium-disrupted pulmonary arterial rings. The administration of N[G]-nitro-L-arginine methyl ester (a nitric oxide synthase inhibitor) inhibited the vasodilatory effect of garlic by 80%. These studies document that garlic blocks hypoxic pulmonary hypertension in vivo and demonstrate a combination ofendothelium-dependent and -independent mechanisms for the effect in pulmonary arterial rings.
                  Guys, I've been reading your last few postings and I'm thinking just one thing..... WTF????
                  Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Big grin http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/10/071016131534.htm
                    http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=2369091
                    Simple patented two-step JK program to make you faster: 1) Every time you're tempted to Google, read, or post a study on how to get faster without running more - go run 2 miles. 2) Repeat. You're welcome.
                      Big grin Never underestimate ther power of google... Clowning around
                      Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

FastTalkingFatty

I hate myself for doing this, but If I continue to hate myself this afternoon, ... I may do more rigorous analysis with our DOE software in the lab (as opposed to Excel, which I used). Speaking of software, who the f**k needs SPSS to do a friggin' t-test?
                        Don't hate yourself, the nerds shall inherit everything! May I quote you on the SPSS opinion? Using SPSS I once showed that literacy was a product of a country's educational system. I wowed the entire stats-for-social-scientists seminar.

<www.runningahead.com/groups/veggies/

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Now that was a bath...

Jake, Eric, Gorilla, friend. You do know that putting an email in your siggy will make it so much easier for this particular wild child to send you poetry the next time that you disappear from our sights. Wink I have just the verse in mind.
                        • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
                        • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.
                          JakeKnight

Jake, Eric, Gorilla, friend. You do know that putting an email in your siggy will make it so much easier for this particular wild child to send you poetry the next time that you disappear from our sights.
                            Perhaps that was my plan all along?

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                            -----------------------------