New York Times food article (Read 4530 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

You can also use vanilla yogurt, but make sure to use less sugar than the pancake recipe calls for.
    seeEricaRun

Awesome

Saturated fat, cholesterol and fiber are invisible?
      seeEricaRun

Awesome

I'm talking on a purely BB standpoint. I have a protein shake after everyworkout and the Isolate is going to have more "pure" protein in it then the protein blend. Now as far as every day eating I'm all into whole foods. BTW I consider the Protein shake a supplement. I'm a big fan of turkey, chicken fish (not much of a red meat fan)and all the fresh veggies and fruit one can eat in a day. Oh Asparagus is my ABSOLUTE most favorite veggie ( other than sweet potato) Oh and thanks I made them myself Wink
        <sarcasm> Tired. cranky. Rude. Sorry. Sum: I don't believe in protein shakes, especially when egg whites, skim milk and yogurt are cheaper than the powder. I also think that athletes have gone way overboard with the protein thing. Most don't need nearly as much as they think. Perhaps I'll write a more thoughtful post on it later, when I am less tired. Also, I did not add this end sarcasm tag. It is a "feature" of the bulletin board =></sarcasm>
        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Erica, welcome back! How's med school? Being tired and cranky are par for that course Wink ... but we love it, so rant away... [sorry I missed it Sad]
          Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

“Some diet,” interjected her father. “We’re trying to keep her off sugar now. If we continue like this, we’re going to become like Americans, and no one wants that.” Can you believe that statement. Depressing.

Old, Slow, Happy

"Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants." From Trent I would add, "Grow it yourself if you have room" You'll know what has been used on it incase you care about organic, etc. All through the summer I eat from my garden. The only thing I buy is cheese and milk straight from the farm. I make yogurt like Trent taught me and I feel pretty healthy. I weigh 95 lbs less than I did 5 year ago. It's a good way to live.
              Tramps

Reading this thread years ago planted the seed in my mind that, one day, I'd try making yogurt.  Seeing an $8 price tag on a quart of greek yogurt last week was the final straw.

I used 2% milk, a regular pot, a meat thermometer, some canning jars, a little Fage nonfat Greek yogurt, and a warmed-up oven. Worked great.

Damn, why didn't I start this years ago?

Thanks, Trent.

Be safe. Be kind.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

You are most welcome, but it sounds like you made regular yogurt instead of Greek yogurt. I do that all the time Smile

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Even easier than the oven is putting the containers of yogurt into a cooler, then putting a heating pad on low heat over the containers and shutting the lid overnight.  I haven't made yogurt in a while, but it was super easy and the homemade results were amazing.  I still need to try it in the Instantpot we've had since Christmas.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Or something like this ought to make it pretty foolproof: https://smile.amazon.com/Euro-Cuisine-YM80-Yogurt-Maker/dp/B000EX16RY

My dad had one way back in the '70s.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I dunno. Putting jars in a warm oven is about as simple and fool proof as I can imagine, and I can use any kind of jar or vessel I want. Those other methods are more complex and/or mean I have to use specific containers.

Tramps

You are most welcome, but it sounds like you made regular yogurt instead of Greek yogurt. I do that all the time Smile

Yeah, I know, but the price tag on Greek yogurt was enough to get me thinking about the $$$ we spend on regular yogurt, especially during the summers when smoothies are our go-to breakfast.  And Greek was what we had in the fridge to use for starter so....

And I'm with you on the simplicity of doing it without a dedicated yogurt maker.

Be safe. Be kind.

I switched from yogurt making to kefir. Even simpler then yogurt making - just put the kefir grains in the milk (I use fresh whole milk directly from the farm) and ta-da, a day and a half later you have kefir.