I hate to eat and run, but... (Read 1133 times)

Baby bean!

I'm hypoglycemic and if I don't eat, I'm an animal (not a very nice one either, according to my husband Wink) or I'll get shaky. So if I want to do something in the a.m. hours, I have to eat first. Granted, it's a bowl of cereal and a cup of coffee. Afternoon/Evening, not a problem. What does everyone do in terms of eating and running? How long do you wait?

Goals:
    Finish C25K

I'm slower than a herd of turtles stampeding through peanut butter, but I run.

TRIing to beat the heat!

I usually try to eat about 1 to 1.5 hours before a training session. However, for an early AM run, that's not always possible. Through trial and error, I have discovered a few foods that don't bother me at all when eaten immediatley before a run... namely those 90 calorie chewy granola bars from Quaker. I can practically eat one walking right out the door without any issues. Have you experimented with any foods in this way?

2012 Goals

Sub-1:42 for half marathon √ (1:41 at Disney, Jan '12)

Sub-22 for 5k √ (21:51 in Sept '12)

BQ for marathon- FAIL

Hawt and sexy

I run about 2 or 3 hours after eating. If I run in the morning, I don't eat before I run. I sometimes start eating during my run, but not before the run.

I'm touching your pants.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I'm hypoglycemic and if I don't eat, I'm an animal (not a very nice one either, according to my husband Wink) or I'll get shaky.
          I have a tough time with this, too. I gotta have some protein with some whole grain carbs in the AM before I run...or it's a recipe for a truly godawful experience that usually includes feeling 0 energy and often nausea. So early AM runs are generally not in the cards--unless I can get up and eat at least an hour before I head out on the run. I like a fried egg on a bagel. I often eat that for breakfast on race days, too. And coffee...helps ensure that I can get done with "business" before leaving the house for my run. Smile

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Ostrich runner

Pretzels and cereals (go easy on the milk or juice though) don't usually bother me.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ooh, and PB on toast maybe with some honey is also easy on the tummy and a good mix of carbs and protein, too.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Hoping to Run Again :-(

Well, I prefer to run first and eat later. These days I'm trying to squeeze my run in at 5 a.m. so water is the only thing I have before (and often during). On Sunday long runs I like to have half a banana and my coffee about 30 min. before if possible. If I'm on the road for more than an hour I alternate water and Gatorade/water during the run. In both cases, I am usually more than ready to eat afterwards - unless the humidity has made me feel icky. HTHs!
                ~ Fly ~
                Only as much as I dream can I be.
                veggies on the run

Half Fanatic #846

Well, I prefer to run first and eat later. These days I'm trying to squeeze my run in at 5 a.m. so water is the only thing I have before (and often during). If I'm on the road for more than an hour I alternate water and Gatorade/water during the run. In both cases, I am usually more than ready to eat afterwards - unless the humidity has made me feel icky.
                  Me too! Smile

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

I started eating a small amount before my early morning runs in early June. My run quality and my recovery has improved significantly since that time. If I could eat a couple hours before, I suppose that would work fine too....but I'm out the door less than a 1/2 hour after waking. Apparently, some people can get up and run 20 milers 12 hours after thier last meal, while only drinking water during the run. More power too them, I guess. Some folks claim that fatburning and aerobic development will be diminished if you eat carbs within 2-3 hours of the run. Fortunately, this has been proven to be BS. Liver glycogen levels are depleted as much as 80% upon waking. They need to be replenished to ensure proper blood sugar levels and brain function.
                      Oh my! I am usually out the door within 10 minutes of waking, so I don't have time to eat, just grab some water and go. I just did my longest run ever that way on Thursday (7 miles, yeah me!) and lack of food doesn't really bother me. I just eat about an hour after the run. Just for kicks, I'll try a small snack before my next run and see how it goes. I find that continuous good hydration trumps most other conditions for having a good run.
                      MikeB-BoR

For early morning runs I will eat a granola bar or a banana and I do fine, no stomach issues. I try to stay away from the coffee unless I have about 2 hours to um....never mind.

Goals :
                        •Drop to 180 #s and hold steady around that weight 

My Hero

What does everyone do in terms of eating and running? How long do you wait?
                          It mostly depends on the length of the run. Anything under 10 miles is just a couple shots of espresso and go. Anything longer than that I will either wait a couple of hours before running after eating, or, start the longer run on empty and eat something 30 minutes into the run. I am working on teaching my body to use fat for fuel. If you eat right before you run (carbs) your insulin will peak at around 30 minutes into the run which inhibit your fat burning metabolism. Certainly you need to do what is best for you.
                            Here's an interesting article regarding this. The relevent information is on pages 2 & 3. http://www.clutchfitness.com/forums/view.php?pg=myth-fat-burning-zone

My Hero

Here's an interesting article regarding this.
                                I think we may be talking about two different things... In the summary of this article it was concluded that: fat oxidation during low intensity exercise is higher during the effort, but fat oxidation (post exercise) is higher from hi-intensity workouts. I'm not too much concerned (for me) about burning fat after the run. I want to burn fat during the run. Not because I want to lose weight but to utilize fat as energy. In order for me to get faster at the marathon distance and not bonk, I have to get lot's of miles under my belt. And in order to get lots of miles in, I have to slow down the pace on longer runs or my body will self destruct with too many high-intensity workouts. Here is a link to an article taken out of an issue of "Marathon and Beyond" that explains this. http://www.marathonguide.com/training/articles/MandBFuelOnFat.cfm