2020 Marathon Training and relevant COVID 19 discussion echo chamber (Read 700 times)

Joann Y

Don't step into MY thread and tell me,

Wow.

Don't step into MY thread and tell me....blah, blah, blah I'm a blowhard. 

Cool story, bro.

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

I would never.... call a runner a hobby jogger. 
        I was correcting Andres.  But I can’t promise I won’t call ultrarunners names 😂. As for being the nicest most helpful, they sure have thin skin. Maybe when he gets back from his 4 hour slog he and I can talk about 1 mile vs a 100 miles intelligently. Why do we needs someone’s approval to define how good of a runner we are medals medals most people who know me know I throw trophies in the garbage or give them to kids I don’t collect trophies or medals I collect experiences.

Here is a letter from a local race director

Hi B.

Congratulations on winning Male Masters at the M. P. Mile! Unfortunately I think you got the Female Masters trophy. The women's winner has the male trophy and would like to have the correct trophy. What would be the most convenient way to make the switch?

Thanks,

K.

I usually throw away the trophies or give them away. I told T. to throw it away and she did. I don’t keep them sorry.

Just called T said she threw it in the garbage at the race we usually don’t keep them. We leave them on the table or give them to kids, or dump em.

So sorry.

B.

trophies are stupid too so are 🥉 bronze medals. 
        lmao 3rd loser I’m sure he didn’t do it for approval

Thinking should be done first, before training begins.

*looks up to address bar*

No, this is RA and not LRC...

this is gold

"Famous last words"  ~Bhearn

Running Problem

Problem Child

Brew, I love you buddy, but it's hard to understand letting Slammin totally get a pass when he says crazy ass shit just to stir up the pot, then get upset when some new guy comes here and does the same thing but on the exact opposite end of the spectrum.

We need more crazy in here; not less. Let's not discourage DoppleBock.

I mean....it's not like I can ban anyone from participating. I don't even know if I can report people from being mean. I can just drop some shock and awe from the depths of the internet. It's a crazy place we live in where you can call people names on the internet, then write a nice long diatribe and people will assume how you feel.  I'm a joy at parties.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

AceHarris

Whoa, catching up was a little dizzying today.

brew: I blame you for combining threads and because it's fun to blame you for things. However, I should say brew is my only imaginary friend to send me payment on a lost bet in the form of tasty craft beer and it was awesome!

keen: your LR comment made me laugh

jmac: I think you could've pulled from a number of contradictions in the last page or two of posts.

andres: I agree it's good to let the race sink in and reflect on the training before making big decisions. I think it can be easy to dismiss over-training for poor performance. I don't have the knowledge to say for sure, but maybe adjusting your quality vs. quantity could help? I have historically done 3-6 20+ mile runs in a cycle, all of which contain quality.  I agree with some here on taking it one race at a time and building from there. I too had to learn how to take more calories in a marathon. I've adjusted from about 300 to at least 600 calories per marathon now. However, if there's heat, I'm toast.

Nimmals: that OSR race is bizarre and intriguing. Thanks for sharing the full video. That initial leader died so HARD! A little bummed we didn't get to see the actual finish.

Calf is doing well, however, I broke my R pinky toe accidentally kicking a door while getting my son to the bath!  I went to the ground and he was very concerned, haha.  I'm still running on it with only a little pain. Interesting and weird personal fact for the internet, my pinky toes don't touch the ground when standing. I'm not sure how this fact affects whether I'm a hobby-jogger or athlete, please discuss.

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Ace blame accepted. Also, I’ve switched from losing bets to making them. Currently a run streak is going. Loser pays for a steak dinner they don’t get to go to and buzz cuts their head (not skin short. More like 1/4&rdquoWink. Im on the virgin White Claws these days. Can’t put them down. I think I messed up a toe of mine and I have heard there isn’t much to do for them so I feel your pain a little. Literally.

I just watched Tommy Rivs suffer at Houston. Man that sucks for him.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

OMR

Nimmals:  That video is awesome, thanks for posting.  I try to imagine that happening where I live...drivers wouldn't know how to cope.

SC:  Congrats on getting into Tunnel, and on that race (and photo) you posted about 17 pages ago.

Andres:  You're in a different league than me, so I don't know that anything I have to say means anything.  To me (if I understand correctly), something that sticks out is that you ramped up to 70mpw and held that mileage for five weeks in a row - mileage you've never run before, and coming off of a long-term injury - and then tapered.  Most would argue that you take a cutback week every few weeks to let the body absorb a new stimulus.  So, part of me wonders if you were a little fatigued, and if you might have performed better if those five weeks were 70, 70, 50, 65, 75.  The other thing I would say is that I don't know that I would agree that five weeks of 70 miles is enough.  I only say that to suggest that I think if you get into another cycle and largely repeat what you've been doing, perhaps making a few minor adjustments, you'll crush it.  Again, all of this is with the understanding that you are running a different race than me, and concepts may not translate to your experience.

Brew:  Hi...so apparently Trent censored you.  What did you say, man?  Oh wait, other people copied it in their replies.  Loved your "I'm a joy at parties" comment.

cal:  Your English reminds me of my Grandma (her primarily language was Finnish).  "...arguing with my five years old..."

Ace:  Glad to hear the calf is doing well.  Bummer on the toe!

CalBears

cal:  Your English reminds me of my Grandma (her primarily language was Finnish).  "...arguing with my five years old..."

OMR, English for me is a way to communicate, not the way to get a Pulitzer Prize... I first spoke English when I already was 32, way too late to make it my native language.

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Brew, I love you buddy, but it's hard to understand letting Slammin totally get a pass when he says crazy ass shit just to stir up the pot, then get upset when some new guy comes here and does the same thing but on the exact opposite end of the spectrum.

We need more crazy in here; not less. Let's not discourage DoppleBock.

I didn’t notice anything crazy about DoppleBock....in fact his responses made me laugh and he seems like a cool guy. He’s an experienced distance runner with a 2:45 marathon PR and obviously not some couch to ultra shuffler!

Slammin - I found it amusing that you gave golf as an example of a hobby - that was my big thing before taking up running and I spent hours on the practice ground each week in the pursuit of a lower handicap and consider it a skilled sport!  Running in comparison is very simple, the more you run the faster you get. Of course you can make it as complicated as you like!  I’ve given some of my medals away, but nobody is getting my Moose Mug. 

Andres - Some interesting takes on your RR...I liked what darkwave said about training slower than you want to race and it wouldn’t hold you back that much. I think I’m in that group, mainly because I hate running fast and getting out of breath    I can relate to your problem with nutrition during the race and I’ve always struggled to consume gels/water in the 2nd half. But at London last year I used Maurten 320 drink mix and 5 or 6 Maurten gels during the race with zero issues. The texture is a bit weird and jelly like, but you should definitely give them a try!

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

OMR

My comment was in no way intended to be a criticism.  Quite the contrary.

OMR, English for me is a way to communicate, not the way to get a Pulitzer Prize... I first spoke English when I already was 32, way too late to make it my native language.

Running Problem

Problem Child

I think a few too many of us are inside getting upset on the internet. I’m not above bringing this out and putting people on time out...if I can figure that out. Where is the nearest millennial. They know about computers

VDOT 53.37 

bhearn

This thread... wow. 

bhearn

I didn’t notice anything crazy about DoppleBock....in fact his responses made me laugh and he seems like a cool guy. He’s an experienced distance runner with a 2:45 marathon PR and obviously not some couch to ultra shuffler! 

That is the least of his accomplishments. Over in the swamp we still celebrate DoppleBock day. It's a little sad new guys do not recognize him here in the GSP, but then he has not been very active here lately.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

That is the least of his accomplishments. Over in the swamp we still celebrate DoppleBock day. It's a little sad new guys do not recognize him here in the GSP, but then he has not been very active here lately.

Yep, I only mentioned his marathon time because of the thread title. 👍

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)