which side of the road do you run on - with or against traffic? (Read 1479 times)

I was taught and have generally run against traffic, but recently, there have been a few close calls with people pulling out of driveways and businesses. Drivers look the opposite way for traffic and often fail to look back (and see me) before they pull out. I have learned to slow and wait for them to turn and see me, but it really breaks the stride and is just a drag. Is it OK to run _with_ traffic? thx

2008 Goals: 10k < 44, HM < 1:40, learn to use my Garmin

Old, Slow, Happy

Just my opinion: I run against traffic. I can see what's coming and dodge what I need to dodge. I ride my bike with traffic. It is very uncomforable. The law (in Ohio) says that bikes are vehicles and must follow all vehicle laws. Sometimes I'm biking at 40mph so I guess it makes sense. I never even consider running with traffic. I want to see what's coming.

Hey, nice marmot!

Always, always, always against traffic. If you can see it coming, then you may have a chance were something bad to happen. Besides, many places have laws requiring you to run against traffic anyway. Yeah, it's a drag to slow down for side-streets and driveways, but it's really a necessary evil. Besides, you should slow down regardless of whether or not you think the driver sees you. I've had people look at me, wave, then shoot across the intersection. Sure, I had the right of way, but that's small consolation when they're scraping you off the pavement.

Ben

"The world is my country, science is my religion."-- Christiaan Huygens

Prince of Fatness

Against. I like to see what's coming. When you're running against traffic you still need to watch for those cars making rolling rights (Stop sign? What stop sign?) from side streets. I never assume that a driver sees me, even if eye contact is made.

Not at it at all. 

Against traffic - always. You've got to give yourself every advantage (no matter how slight) to be able to avoid being hit. Although we would like to think that all people are considerate, there are those unfortunate few who like to play some warped version of "Chicken" between their vehicle and a human body. In addition to running against traffic, I always make sure that there is room for me to bail to the side, if needed. Sad to say, I have had to employ this strategy a couple of times. And, ditto the comments about driveways and stop signs.

"You can't have everything. Where would you put it?" - Steven Wright

Hey, nice marmot!

there are those unfortunate few who like to play some warped version of "Chicken" between their vehicle and a human body. In addition to running against traffic, I always make sure that there is room for me to bail to the side, if needed. Sad to say, I have had to employ this strategy a couple of times.
              Good God man! Where do you run?! Damn! Sure, I've had people digging through their box of chicken mcnuggets to find their cell phone, not watch the road, and "drift" toward the shoulder/bike lane, but I've never had someone intentionally try to run me down. I'm pretty sure that's pretty illegal. At a minimum, you should get a license number and report. That's terrible. Freakin' people! It was probably that Son of Jor-El. I don't put anything past that guy.

Ben

"The world is my country, science is my religion."-- Christiaan Huygens

As a general rule, go against traffic... you can see what's coming and react. That said, use common sense. If you have a right turn coming up, get over to the right when you get a break in traffic. If you're on a stretch of road where there is a blind bend to the left, move right to the outside of the curve. Like all things in running, it is good to have a rule to go by, but nothing beats being smart enough to adapt to your particular situation.

-------------------------------------
                5K - 18:25 - 3/19/11
                10K - 39:38 - 12/13/09
                1/2 - 1:29:38 - 5/30/10
                Full - 3:45:40 - 5/27/07

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Always against, even if I'm on the sidewalk. yes, you have to watch out for folks coming out of driveways and parking lots, but that's the case regardless of what side of the street you run on. If you're facing traffic, you see what's coming. With traffic? You've got not idea what's coming up behind you. Even if you run on the sidewalk (I do when I have to run in the evenings and traffic is heavy) it's best to run against traffic.
                  JakeKnight

Always against. If I tried running with traffic in Nashville, I'd have died long ago.
                    Against traffic - always. You've got to give yourself every advantage (no matter how slight) to be able to avoid being hit. ... In addition to running against traffic, I always make sure that there is room for me to bail to the side, if needed.... And, ditto the comments about driveways and stop signs.
                    Exactly. I am always aware of where I'll be jumping if I have to, always watching the driver's eyes as they approach, and always assuming they're drunk or mentally disabled. It's saved me at least twice. A lot of runners get hit and killed. Google it. There's even been a few stories posted here. Running with traffic is nothing short of insane. And don't let anybody tell you differently. I came close to blows with a dorky biker who almost ran me over in the park when he told me I was running the wrong way. After using a few choices words to describe his ancestry and mental capacity, I explained the he's a vehicle. My job is to stay to the side and run against traffic. His job is to ride with traffic - and yield to ME. Sorry. I think I digressed. Run against traffic. I know what you mean about the driver's in their driveways. It's dangerous. Suburban moms are killers. I've had to yell a few times and even slap a couple mini-vans to get their attention. One time a lady seriously almost ran me down, and I just about screamed "what the f@#$%?" Because as everyone knows, when you're wearing an iPod, you can say anything and nobody can hear you. Since you can't hear them. Unfortunately there was this nice older couple out in the yard across the street gardening, and I didn't see them. And somehow they pierced my magic Ipod of Silence and heard my cursing. The look on their faces was priceless. They weren't happy. I ran away.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                    -----------------------------

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Although we would like to think that all people are considerate, there are those unfortunate few who like to play some warped version of "Chicken" between their vehicle and a human body. In addition to running against traffic, I always make sure that there is room for me to bail to the side, if needed. Sad to say, I have had to employ this strategy a couple of times.
                      I had TWO 20-something boys do this to me just last week (I'd call them men, but real men don't pull shit like that). did was ticked at me for not getting their plate #s and reporting them. Tough to do when we don't have front plate on our cars in MI.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Teresadfp

One day at a time

It is ILLEGAL to run with traffic in the state of Maine. PS - I've found drivers in Maine to be pretty considerate. Boston drivers, however, are a different story. Massholes.

What side of the road you should work out on depends upon what your activity is. In many places, you have a legal obligation (not just a safety suggestion) for being on one side or the other. Generally speaking, run against traffic and ride with traffic. Never play chicken against a car - Even when you win you lose. Having been hit by a car, I follow a series of steps to avoid getting hit again - so far so good.

Run to Win
                          25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

I hate to jump because the sides are filled with poisen ivy. But, I guess it's better then getting splattered by a car. Which I know I'll get hit one day. People are nuts out there.

- Anya

Double IPA Please!

Against. and I wish for once some of the asshats out there would not make me have to nearly twist an ankle by making me have to run off the road vs them giving me just a hair of space- especially if there is nobody coming in the other direction. Most people do, however, I even get the occasional finger wag as if I should not be running there Roll eyes

Interested in looking good and feeling great? Check out my website at www.marykay.com/dyerger

Shipping is always free with me!! :-)

Prince of Fatness

always assuming they're drunk or mentally disabled.
                                Here in NJ that is a wise assumption.

Not at it at all.