Goal of sub 20 5k (Read 13664 times)

Thanks Jay, I'll need it. Dead

E.J.
    Greater Lowell Road Runners
    Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

evtish

Hey Ed, good luck on Sunday!
      Second that. Good Luck!! I just looked it up, an old fart like you only needs 3:30 to BQ. They even give you the extra 59 seconds of the 30th minute! Wink Big grin You can do it!! See you Tues!! Tom
        Ran my 3rd 5k race in 12 days...glad that I now get 16 days till the next race! My time was 20:49...I thought I was ready to test 20 but it just wasn't there. Hit mile one in 6:37 then struggled through a 6:50 second mile. So my three races timed in at: 20:47, 20:30, 20:49 I am blaming the warmup more than anything. Last night I ran 2 miles easy then 4-5 strides quick. Usually I run 1/2 mile at race pace about 20 minutes before the race but I felt a slight side stitch in my warmups and wanted to work out that kink so I was afraid to do fast stuff before the race. A mild setback but this makes me even more hungry and I hope to train harder and smarter.

SMART Approach

Hey Michigan, Really rooting for you to get toward 20:00. Just curious, how is your natural speed and strength? Are you naturally a strong person or a lighter person? It seems like it is a challenge for you to hold pace for a 5K. Usually to two reasons this occurs is that one starts too fast or one simply doesn't have the strength or aerobic system strength to hold pace which is improved by more miles. Your 40 miles per week should help you enough for a 5K. I just wonder if your energy system is trained to run more anaerobically vs. aerobically. What are your 10K and half marathon times (if you have done them). Are they in line with your 5K times. I continue to lift weights and am pretty strong and muscular. I have done no speedwork on my 20 miles per week (hammy recovery issues) yet I can run faster each mile in a 5K. I have 20 years of base work to fall back on but rarely run more than 25 miles per week and my 10K and half times are fairly close in line with 5K times in past. This intriques me. Today my paces for 5k were 6:41, 6:33 and 6:19 on a fairly flat course and very strong sprint finish. I ran a 19:40 but Garmin said 3.04 miles. My goal was 20:15. Generally, I also will always have a strong last mile even when tired - when fit and doing some critical velocity reps I can run 6:00 last miles. My PR is 19:23 on legit course. I am just curious about your make up. Obviously we all have genetic differences. Have you ever done a 5K where you were semi conservative first mile and could finish very strong????? I am just curious why you can't crank it up that last mile. You certainly seem fit enough. Hmmm.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Hey Michigan, Really rooting for you to get toward 20:00. Just curious, how is your natural speed and strength? Are you naturally a strong person or a lighter person? It seems like it is a challenge for you to hold pace for a 5K. Usually to two reasons this occurs is that one starts too fast or one simply doesn't have the strength or aerobic system strength to hold pace which is improved by more miles. Your 40 miles per week should help you enough for a 5K. I just wonder if your energy system is trained to run more anaerobically vs. aerobically. What are your 10K and half marathon times (if you have done them). Are they in line with your 5K times. I continue to lift weights and am pretty strong and muscular. I have done no speedwork on my 20 miles per week (hammy recovery issues) yet I can run faster each mile in a 5K I am just curious about your make up. Obviously we all have genetic differences. Have you ever done a 5K where you were semi conservative first mile and could finish very strong????? I am just curious why you can't crank it up that last mile. You certainly seem fit enough. Hmmm.
            Natural speed? I like to think I have some speed. I think I can run 200 meters in about 31 seconds. I can run 400 meters in at least 70. I know that is not really that fast but its fast enough. I am not strong at all...I am light...145 pounds. I have been doing some pull-ups. Do you think I should work on leg strength? I would think with all the running my legs have lots of power. I run most stuff at 9:00 per mile pace. I am starting to go to track club weekly. This week we will do 3 X 1 mile relay with 1/2 mile jog in between. Normally my 5k times...1st and 3rd mile are similar. I lose about 15 seconds on mile 2. I havent run any race longer than 5k. I think for a 10k I would do well probably about 20 seconds per mile slower than 5k pace. Thanks for the replies and concern. I have concern too. I want to get this monkey off my back. I think I need to get some more speedwork in but I will try to get some weight lifting in too as you suggest.

SMART Approach

Michigan, I am not so sure weight lifting will necessarily help you. It might, it might not. If you put on weight that can be counterproductive. Certainly some is just fine even for keeping core and joints strong. I really like the one leg squats, walking lunges, jumping walking lunge (more plyometric and potent). I just do a few set of these a week. Any more and it can be damaging. I think your 9 min pace is about right. I think 8:30-8:45 would work also. What is your HR % at 9:00 pace? I did my 11 mile long run this week and tried to stay at around 75% of my max HR and my HR stayed pretty stable throughout the long run and averaged 8:25 per mile which is about 2 min slower than my 5K pace which is what I generally recommend to others. I think if one runs at 75% of max HR but is running substantially slower than 2 min. below their 5K pace then this person needs more aerobic stimulus or has overdid speed work which may take away from there aerobic stamina. I guess the point I am getting at is the faster you can run aerobically vs. having to severly dip into anaerobic energy systems (which you certainly do on a 5K) is the key to holding pace and slowing oxygen debt in this race distance especially during first 2 miles. That last mile is guts and anaerobic strength/speed. Maybe your genetics at 40 miles per week may not get you to 20 minutes. Maybe they will. More and more speedwork may not be the answer and perhaps can be counterproductive if it may take away from your aerobic stamina base. I like to overanalyze because some runners I coach seem to have similar issues and I try to evaluate their makeup and sometimes it is confusing to determine if I should strengthen their strengths or strengthen their weaknesses whether that be speed or endurance. It is all about experimentation. Hang in their.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Tchuck I do two legged squats often. I said I run about 9:15 per mile easy pace but that is on the treadmill and my HR is around 70% max. When outdoors I go about 8:15 per mile easy runs which is probably a little too fast but I haven't checked my HR on these runs as I don't get outdoors as often as I would like. The HR outside is probably around 75% if max. My long run is 9 miles so I am looking to push that higher now that I have no race for a couple weeks. My strength is that I am a very good finisher. I am good running downhills. My weakness is I am a very poor starter. I have few tempo or interval runs under my belt. Honestly where I am now I think I am within 20 seconds or so of breaking the 20 barrier. I just need the right course and I need to move up another level of training. Long run will be increased from 9 miles possibly to 12 miles...intervals I will add 1200 meters or longer every week..and one tempo run a week. Must get outdoors more often and run 8:30 pace or faster for easy stuff. When I ran a 20:30 last Sunday I felt I could have gone 15 seconds faster.
                  Well I gave it a shot today. Came up 32 seconds short (20:31) This is however 20 seconds better than the last race on this same course, and a 5K PR. I suppose more speed needs is in order. I'll keep trying.
                  protoplasm72

MichiganFlyer, How long have you been stuck at your current PR? If you've been there or pretty close for the past few months then it's probably time to switch up the schedule. Your body gets used to the schedule and your performance plateaus. Every time I switch my workouts around my times start dropping again. You don't even have to add miles. From a quick look at your log I'd say something like switching to 6 days a week instead of 7 and adding the miles from the missing run to your long run and to a mid week semi-long run. Maybe like a 13 long and 9 semi-long mid weeker. It's amazing what switching up your workouts can do. Just a thought.

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson

corland

...as I don't get outdoors as often as I would like.
                      I think this is huge. I've noticed significant improvement when I've moved most of my miles from the treadmill to the road. Good luck, I remember you from coolrunning. And yes, I'm still in the same boat. Evil grin
                        I did a 5K today and the time on my Garmin read 20:55. Mile one went by in 6:48. Mile two was 6:41. Mile three - 6:47. The last .1 miles were in 39 seconds. My goal was to run 20:59 or better. I am happy, and hope to get faster at upcoming races.
                        JakeKnight

Well I gave it a shot today. Came up 32 seconds short (20:31) This is however 20 seconds better than the last race on this same course, and a 5K PR.
                          Great job, Kenny. So close.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                          -----------------------------

JakeKnight

I did a 5K today and the time on my Garmin read 20:55. Mile one went by in 6:48. Mile two was 6:41. Mile three - 6:47. The last .1 miles were in 39 seconds. My goal was to run 20:59 or better. I am happy, and hope to get faster at upcoming races.
                            Great job to you, too. Especially on the even splits. If I could learn that trick it would be pretty sweet. The fact that my splits tend to be 6:15 - 6:45 - 7:20 ... is a little problematic.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                            -----------------------------

Great job to you, too. Especially on the even splits. If I could learn that trick it would be pretty sweet. The fact that my splits tend to be 6:15 - 6:45 - 7:20 ... is a little problematic.
                              thanks - I have been working on that. A Garmin is the only way I can do it. Hey - I noticed a post a while back you mentioned not running much this summer. Is that that SOP for you? edit: I read my question and thought it may have sounded, I don't know, aggressive – not my intent, I am just curious...
                              protoplasm72

Woot! Big grin Ran a 19:50 in my 5k today. I knew it was going to be my last chance for many months so I just went out and started strong and hoped I didn't blow up. Splits by my watch were 6:23, 6:24, 6:29, 0:32. I got shorted a couple seconds in the official time cause I sprinted over the first timing mat at the finish and was slowing up by the time I hit the second. Biggest difference this race compared to the last one 3 weeks ago (20:42) was new shoes that are 4 ounces lighter. Plus the weather was a little nicer and my training has been picking up with my marathon closing in. After the race I finished my long run by doing another 16 miles and then jumped in an ice bath cause my average pace today was faster then my last marathon pace Shocked Edit: Both this race and the last 5k were certified. I ran a 21:24 on this same course last year.

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson