40s+ on the Run - Let it Snow, Let it Snow, Let it Snow! (Read 1089 times)

Hmmm . . . feelin' a little lonely here this week . . . . Cry 10 hill repeats this morning, with attention to cadence (28-30 foot strikes in 20 seconds) and avoiding the potholes in the road. Pretty chilly. There's snow on them thar hills that I can see from my front porch. Brrrrrr! It was nice. Only one car came down the road while I was out there, and only one dog barked at me. The owners musta just let him out, 'cause I'd been going back and forth on that hill for about 20 minutes before he discovered me. Later! Smile

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

btb1490

Hmmm . . . feelin' a little lonely here this week . . . . Cry 10 hill repeats this morning, with attention to cadence (28-30 foot strikes in 20 seconds) and avoiding the potholes in the road. Pretty chilly. There's snow on them thar hills that I can see from my front porch. Brrrrrr! It was nice. Only one car came down the road while I was out there, and only one dog barked at me. The owners musta just let him out, 'cause I'd been going back and forth on that hill for about 20 minutes before he discovered me. Later! Smile
      Don't want you feeling lonely! I think a bunch of 40 plussers are hanging out in the Master's group. I'm finding it a bit overwhelming there trying to keep track of everything! I like the one thread/week thing you have going here. Maybe to make it a bit more clear as to what this thread is for for us new to the idea, maybe the title should include "for the week of... " or something like that? Anyway, it sounds like you had a nice run. How long was the hill for your repeats? It also sounds like you got out early in the AM by the lack of cars and other life. Or is it just that rural where you are? Thanks for keeping this thread going!

Top 'O the World!

Poppin' in really quick like here....still have folks @ my house...still snowing here in Denver!!!! Not much in the way of runs as yet this week....Did get to do some "bridge" work w/Mairead on Sunday & Monday ~ yep, it was ALL overpasses & we're doing much better now...but I forgot the Garmin on the one day (30% joggingin the snow) & on the 2nd, when we got to the main overpass, I'd hit stop on my Garmin cause the overpasses for some reason make it read all wonky & then forgot to turn it back on! Roll eyes so it only recorded 5.4 miles....somewhere around the midpoint! & again, only about 30% jogging cause my focus was the bridge work & it was a bit slippery......yada, yada, yada..My 'crosstraining' looks a bit like snow removal mixed w/dishes & laundry! Wink Hope all of you are having a really great Holiday week! BBRS! Cindy
        Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
          Don't want you feeling lonely! I think a bunch of 40 plussers are hanging out in the Master's group. I'm finding it a bit overwhelming there trying to keep track of everything! I like the one thread/week thing you have going here. Maybe to make it a bit more clear as to what this thread is for for us new to the idea, maybe the title should include "for the week of... " or something like that? Anyway, it sounds like you had a nice run. How long was the hill for your repeats? It also sounds like you got out early in the AM by the lack of cars and other life. Or is it just that rural where you are? Thanks for keeping this thread going!
          I check out the Master's Group once in awhile. Hopefully we won't lose too many folks, but I guess we'll just have to see. "The Week of" would probably be more explanatory. Smile I'm an early hours runner as there is no way in the world I can run after work. Tried it once and hated it. Besides, getting up and going in the early a.m. hours gets me going for the entire day. However, in the winter time, it be challenging, spirits-wise. We getlots of rain . . . lots of cold, cold rain. I don't live in a big city (i.e. San Fran), but I am on the outskirts of a pretty big town, Eureka. We are in the true Northern California: 6 hours north of San Fran, 1 1/2 hours south of the CA/OR state line. Hi Mtnchk! Good to see you! Poor Mairead. So many challenges to overcome. Post another pic of her when you get a chance so we can see how much she's blooming with all that good lovin'! (PS - For those curious, Mairead is a lucky lady dog who was adopted by Mtnchk a few months ago.)

Leslie
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

jfa

Hi all you 40 groupies! Season's Greetings Wink Had to break away for a while from ALL electronic gadgets and chill,which was very good. My runs have gone well this week and I tried not to pig out too much.(somewhat successful) Ran 7 this morning in rain and 38f,but still had fun.looks like things are settling down here a little and folks are finding their way. Ps-that's Buddy as a baby,not a new puppy.One's enough for now,thank you! Good runs to all!! Cool

Good afternoon 40's! Back from Ocala and wish I could have stayed longer. So pretty up there. It is horse country and actually has rolling hills. Almost feel like you are in Kentucky when you drive by some of the horse pastures with major expensive homes. The Ocala National Forest is absolutely gorgeous. Trails galore! My next trip I will be prepared and not be rushed. Leslie, you are such a trooper with your running. You go girl! mtnchk, glad mariread is coming along. She is one lucky dog to have you and I'm sure your feel lucky to have found her as well. Glad everyone is getting in their runs as much as possible with all the festivties going on, the snow situations that some of you deal with and just all of lifes other stuff that sometimes gets in the way. Have a great day everyone..........Jewels
              But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee
                Hiya 40's! Nope, don't want Leslie getting lonely here. Mtnchk, I want to be your dog when I grow up. Maired is sooo lucky to have found you! Flajewels, glad you had fun in Ocala. Sounds really nice there! btb, glad you are here, and agreed on the thread title thing since we're all sort of learning our way around and getting to know each other. I think we were just feeling a little festive this week Big grin Leslie, I don't envy you running in the cold rain. I draw the line there...cold light mist...maybe...cold rain...nope! Good for you for keepin' on keepin' on though. Just realized I missed shouting out to a few of you. Salty, sounds like you'll be ready for that half fer shure! And Joe, dang, Buddy was cutie pie as a pup. He has developed into a primo running dog! Like Mtnchk, my cross training has been unconventional this week. Have been fully booked for pet sitting, so I sure hope the dog walking counts! Did get in 4 miles 12/23 at 10:30 pace and 5 miles on 12/25 with Mom at 10:41 pace (could tell I was holding her back). I am totally happy that she is getting back into running and seeing the joy on her face is wonderful. But I will admit that it's a bit depressing that she's faster than me and says she never has any aches and pains after her runs. I was struggling to get up and down later on Christmas day, and found myself questioning yesterday if running is really something I should continue to pursue. Don't have too many days thinking like that, so that little voice in my head sort of surprised me. Also know that if I would drop a few pounds, I'd run better (I'm 5ft3.5 and my weight ranges between 135 and 140). Maybe a new year's resolution in the making, but I'm not ready to commit just yet because I LIKE FOOD Evil grin.
                Progress Trumps Pefection

flatland mountaineer

This week of non running makes me feel like such a slob but I don't do it very often and my bod needs the break. I had to get my physical for my commercial drivers license renewed today as I will probably be hauling corn to Colorado pigs and ethanol next week in the Pete. My doctor pronounced me "overwhelmingly healthy" with "some joint wear and tear". I asked him about the inflamation in my hip and SI, he said it could be gone tommorow or hang on for a long time but not to be afraid of the ibu, even before runs. I was always worried about that and many on websites are dead against it. I know when I had all that dental stuff going on and taking lots of it, is when my mileage peaked and without virtually any joint issues. Joe I recognized the tailset and thought maybe it was Buddy's offspring but it all makes sense now. Smile a winter pic from my normal route

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

jfa

Holy Mackerel !! Jim ~ that's a really gorgeous picture !!!! Shocked

Gorgeous picture, Jim. . . . brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Leslie
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Sierra Foothills Runner

Yeah, I'm hanging in there too --- running has been sparse, but a little on the Dreadmill, in between basketball games (my son's) & first snowboarding (lot of time on the ground Undecided there) Will try to get in a good run tomorrow & hopefully, next week will get back to a regular schedule. Feeling a little fat these days - I've really pigged out...oh, well, gives me a good excuse to get out there --- it's snowing here now --- but I will perservere Yes Thanks, Leslie, for keeping this going...will be keeping up with you guys -- you'll be motivating me through the winter rains, cold, & snow.
                        BTY

Hi everyone. I haven't been posting much because I haven't been running much. I think have to give in and admit that I have a sinus infection. Up until a couple of days ago it was just a cold, going on two months old. But things seem to be going in the infection direction, which ultimately means I can take something that will cure it and I can be done with it. Happy New Year to All. bty (Brian)
                            So glad to the folks who keep this thread going. I lurk more than I post, but I am definitely motivated by the 40s group. Carol ~ I'm with you - I run because I LOVE FOOD!! But I've been slacking this month - so much going on all at once. Jim ~ That's an amazing picture! Well I've got to get a few more miles to make my goal for 2007. Gotta get my head back into it and get back in a routine. Anyone thinking about goals for 2008? I'm not really one for New Year's resolutions, but since I've started running I do think more about what I want to accomplish in the next year. Maybe I'll work up to a 10K or a 1/2 marathon. A bit intimidating for me though... Happy New Year and Happy Runs to all! Kathy
                              BTY/Brian - Nice to hear from you again. Sinus infections, Ugh! Had a really bad one a few years ago when I was suppose to sing in a wedding. Talk about panic! Kathy - Yep, I've set goals for 2008. Hopefully, I'll hit 'em all: March - Pirates Cove 30k, Sausalito, CA May - Forest Park 50k, Portland, OR (My first ultra Shocked Shocked ) July - Salt Point 50k, Jenner, CA Oct - Bizz Johnson Marathon, Susanville, CA Tomorrow we got back out to Fern Canyon for an 8-mile trail run, so I took today off. Have a great weekend, everyone!

Leslie
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Top 'O the World!

Hey everybody! Thanx for all the kind words! Blush I feel pretty lucky to have found Mairead too! Smile I need to take some more pics - she's getting a bit "fluffy" w/all the cold weather! The "trick" is to not let her see the camera! lol! she somehow thinks it's some kind of a 'homing device' Beee-oo-tiful pic Jim!! I'm sidin' w/your Doc on the ibu...& I'm pro moderation! It's primary redeeming quality is as a mild muscle relaxant.....so, like how ya likin' the snow we sentcha?!? We got 14" btwn the two "fallings" this wk - so far.....kinda makes it more xc skiing/snowshoeing rather than "running" weather, so I went & got a pr of snow shoes last night...waiting for DH to get home so I can go try them out (have GD home on winter break till next Thurs.) the other part of that is that it is only up to 19F (10F real feal) @ noonish! Started sub-zero this am! I really want to avoid buying a treadmill ($$) & because I prefer to keep it outside.....BUT! *& I really am feeling guilty about all the $$ I've been spending on gear.... Cute baby Buddy pic Joe! Now, why would "one be enough?!?" LOL! Carol: IMHO: Let your body be your guide....slow down & go your own pace! your Mom's body is not yours!! Your abilities & strengths are different....I don't think that you necessarily need to consider giving up running (although I understand the feeling some days) but maybe give up measuring yourself to others' (or "perceived" other's) expectations! hmmm? (still playing w/how to do stuff!) I've not totally defined my 2008 Goals yet......but I could start w/lose 20#'s, run the Boulder Bolder, Denver Marathon (HM), Komen (that was sooo much fun!) ~ well, maybe I'd better research the calendar for options....jic! Cindy
                                Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group