40s+ on the Run - Let it Snow, Let it Snow, Let it Snow! (Read 1089 times)

Tenacious

Moving right along....

Starting the countdown on the Disney World 1/2---in just over 2 weeks. As it gets colder here, it gets warmer there----no wonder I have a hard time with that 1/2! Nothing like training in cold weather to run a warm weather race....uggghhh. Oh well! Take care all and have a spectacular New Years!! Off and running..... J
    By failing to prepare, you are prepairing to fail. Benjamin Franklin
    btb1490

TGIF! Nice little bunch of folks here. Smile Joe, cute puppy! And it sounds like you've had a pretty good holiday week! btw, I'm posting this from NJ, here visiting family. Jewels, I've heard that that part of Florida is really neat. Never been there, but you've given me another reminder to get there some day. Carol, seeing the joy on your mothers face while she runs will hopefully keep you motivated to keep at it. Getting good at running takes persistence and patience, but the end result is worth it, especially if you like food, as many of us do! Jim, thanks for the great picture! Sorry to hear about the hip and the SI joint. If you are worried about taking anything before running, how about icing the area before your runs? I've done that with success. I've also been known to pop an Advil here and there before runs... Marci, you aren't alone in feeling fat this time of year. 'Tis the season. Brian, I am the king of cold ==> sinus infections. Just got done with 10 days of Biaxin. (sp?) Catch it before it leads to bronchitis. Kathy, nobody says you have to do a race. How about just a mileage goal, or a days run in the year goal instead? Racing is fun and motivating, but it's not for everyone, so don't feel pressured or intimidated into doing one if you don't want to. Leslie, those are some goals! Do you ever run anything under 20 miles? Wow! Cindy, I'd take snowshoeing and skiing over running on a treadmill anyday! Those things will keep you in plenty good shape inbetween the times that you can run! I got out for a predawn 10 miler this AM. Some of the miles were done at a faster pace, which was part of the plan as I prepare for Disney in a couple of weeks. But black ice on the roads made it pretty tricky, so my faster portions of the run kept getting interruped by slipping and sliding sections. But I am proud to say I stayed upright! A bright beautiful moon in a crystal clear sky lit my way. Nice morning and nice run.
      btb1490

Starting the countdown on the Disney World 1/2---in just over 2 weeks. As it gets colder here, it gets warmer there----no wonder I have a hard time with that 1/2! Nothing like training in cold weather to run a warm weather race....uggghhh. Oh well! Take care all and have a spectacular New Years!! Off and running..... J
        J, I'll be there too, for both the half and the full. Last time I did Disney, it was 30* at the start, so there is still hope for you yet! Good luck!
          Leslie, you aren't alone in feeling fat this time of year. 'Tis the season. Leslie, those are some goals! Do you ever run anything under 20 miles? Wow!
          Um, I don't think I was the one feeling fat Wink . . . although I did just polish off more than my fair share of a bag of Doritos . . . hmmmmm Blush 30k is only 18.64 miles!! Big grin Speaking of miles and races, I just got my training schedule for the next 3 mos. Coach Bill finally realized that it's too hard to keep track of miles when running in the trees (trails), so he has us running specific hours on the weekends now. That's much more in line with how trail races/runs are for me. Like the 30k in March, I'm hoping to finish in 3 1/2 to 4 hours. Well, I've left a room full of attorneys alone watching a DVD about Elimination of Bias for their continuing education requirements, so I must get back and gather their attendance records. . . . . wonder if any of them will actually have stayed for the entire hour. . . .

Leslie
          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Teresadfp

One day at a time

J and btb, be sure to tell us what the Disney race(s) are like. It sounds like a lot of fun! I would have a hard time with the warm weather, too. I LOVE running in cold temps. Teresa

Top 'O the World!

Wow! It's like 82* in Orlando right now! Shocked as opposed to my "real feel temp" of 10* here!! Yah, tha'd be a shock to my system...unless of course I went down there a week or two in advance to "acclimate" ~ as they do here! Big grin & it's all sold out anyways, so I'd have to go as a spectator at this point......
              Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
              btb1490

Um, I don't think I was the one feeling fat Wink . . . although I did just polish off more than my fair share of a bag of Doritos . . . hmmmmm
                Blush Sorry! It's fixed now! And you had to go and mention Doritos, didn't you! Angry Wink
                  Blush Sorry! It's fixed now! And you had to go and mention Doritos, didn't you! Angry Wink
                  Yep, I did. Doritos, Doritos, Doritos! I love 'em! And now I'm hung up on 2 of the new flavors: Buffalo Wings and Blue Cheese and some new Spicy Ranch thing. YUMMO! Made a huge pot of potato soup tonight to take for after our run tomorrow. We'll need it. It's suppose to be cold and raining. Soup: red, white, and sweet potatoes and turnips cooked until soft and becoming mush. Don't drain the water! Chop up and then saute in olive oil onion, garlic, leeks, and carrots (cut the carrots small) until carrots are soft. Add to your pot of potatoes. Add a package of dried vegetable soup mix (like Knorr). Add one cup or so of fat free half & half. If you have one of those hand blenders that can be submerged, use that to sort of puree the soup, but leave some chunks. If you don't have the hand blender, either use a potato masher to mash it up, or blend it in a blender. BUT REMEMBER! It's hot and will need room to expand. Therefore, don't fill the blender to the top or it will explode, and don't put the lid on tight. Set the lid on and just sort of hold it in place. Once you have blended the soup to a consistency you like, put it back in the pot. Add about 2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese and stir and until melted. Salt/pepper to taste. Serve w/fresh sourdough bread. 3 med. sweet potatoes 6-7 large red potatoes 2 med. turnips 3 large carrots 1 whole leek 1/2 yellow onion (though I prefer sweet onions) 1 head of garlic (I love garlic!) Knorr Vegetable Soup Mix Fat Free Half & Half ( Cheddar Cheese Salt/Pepper Good night!

Leslie
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

btb1490

Holy cow Leslie, that soup sounds awesome! Perfect for right after your chilly run, or anytime for that matter. With a side of Doritos of course... thanks for the recipe! Due to family committments, I had to have my 16 miler scheduled for today done by 8:30am. Got up at 5:30am to the sound of pouring rain, 20-30mph winds and thunder and lightning. I must be getting old because years ago I would've gone running in those conditions, but instead I shut off the alarm and rolled over and didn't give it a 2nd thought about going back to sleep. Maybe I can sneak a shorter run in later and get the 16 miler in tomorrow instead. Teresa, Disney does a good job with their marathon in my opinion. You get to run through the theme parks which is pretty neat, although most of the course is out on the connecting roads, but they provide plenty of fun stuff for you along the entire route. The 6am start is a bit early, spectators are kinda sparse because of that, but there is still plenty to see and do along the way. The weather can be anywhere from the 30's to the 80's, so that's a crapshoot. If going to Disney is up your alley, I would recommend it. Have a good weekend all!
                      9 miles in 3:04. We had a blast! We started at the Prairie Creek Campground and ran to the ocean, as opposed to in the opposite direction, which we did last time. I didn't take my camera 'cause I didn't want to chance it getting soaked and ruined. Ended up being a smart move, 'cause it rained pretty good on us. The trees helped dissipate it somewhat, but we were both pretty wet when we were done, and my pack is soaked through. We had a major storm here about a month ago, and it uprooted quite a few trees along the trail. About the first mile of the trai there's been so much work done to move trees out of the way (big redwoods), that the ground is pretty well ate up and MU-DDY! Some treacherous, slippery footing, but loads of fun. I've always tried to keep my long runs at a slow, easy pace, but Karen has always had a tendency to be a speed demon. She got a heart rate monitor awhile back, and between that and her following my lead, we've slowed down considerably, trying to keep her heart rate in the 140-145 range. It's amazing how much better we both feel going slower. We only saw 3 people on the trail - scared the crap out of one guy when we popped around a corner running at him. Didn't see any elk on the trail, but saw poop signs that they'd been there. Once we were done, we changed clothes and sat in the car with the heater going eating some nice, hot soup. Yum! On the drive home, we saw 6 bull elk. One had a HUGE rack. We have a couple of large groups of Roosevelt Elk in our area, and there are a couple of places on the road that you can usually get a good view of them. On the drive home, we saw the remains of a terrible wreck. Looked like a full size truck had come around the corner too fast, slid into the path of a Ryder truck, which hit it in the cab, and a vehicle (like a Bronco) slid up under the back of the Ryder to its windshield. The people in the truck were killed. The bodies hadn't been removed yet, and there were blankets draped over the passenger and driver side of the truck. Looked like the people from the Ryder and Bronco had been taken to the hospital. Karen and I both looked at each other and voiced the same thought: If we hadn't spend about 45 minutes in the parking lot when we were done running . . . . Kind of a sobering end to a really great morning. So now I get to work on my transcription so I'll be done for the weekend. Have a great one!

Leslie
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

flatland mountaineer

My week off from running continues, and it is weighing heavily on my general attitude. We are busy enough now that the extra time is nice, but other than planting and harvesting I feel its(running) something I MUST make time for. Even now I miss the clarity of thinking that is typical on my training runs as we do planning and purchasing for the 2008 season. Crosstraining today consisted of digging the snow and ice out of 2 grain trailers and setting a couple of augers to start shipping corn next week. What that has to do with running is that 3 years ago that activity would have left dw and I exhausted for the day. Today it was easy. Tenacious good luck on the half, hope you get perfect weather. BTB hope the weather cooperates so you can work that long run in. Have never tried icing the hip, its osteo in the joint so didn't know if it would help. I have a few joints that are a little older than the rest of my body or at least it feels that way. Cindy, Bolder Boulder is on our radar also. was going to do it last year then the whole dental project turned my plans upside down. We missed the bulk of the snow you guys got but still enough to ski and very cold still. Leslie your guardian angel is keeping you out of harms way lately with the breakin and the wreck you passed. That soup sounds really good to me, I like most kinds of vegtables. Dw thinks I am weird that way. Oh but I did have to ask what a leek was. Carol we can't quit, we just gotta do what we can do, I do know what you're saying. Jim

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Oh but I did have to ask what a leek was. Jim
                          You cut off the tough tops and the bottom, cut them in half, then set them in water for a few minutes, halved side down, so that all the sand, etc., can wash out of them. The have sort of an onion-ee taste, but not strong. I really like them.

Leslie
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Okay - This is too funny not to share. Find your stripper name: 1. Use the third letter of your first name to determine your new first name: > > a = Fantasia > > b = Chesty > > c = Starr > > d = Diamond > > e = Montana > > f = Angel > > g = Sugar > > h = Mimi > > i = Lola > > j =Kitty > > k = Roxie > > l = Dallas > > m = Princess > > n = Heidi > > o = Bambi > > p = Bunny > > q = Brandy > > r = Sugar > > s = Candy > > t = Raquelle > > u = Sapphire > > v = Cinnamon > > w = Blaze > > x = Trixie > > y = Isis > > z = Jade 2. Use the second letter of your last name to determine the first half of your new last name: > > a = Leather > > b = Dream > > c = Sunny > > d = Deep > > e = Heaven > > f = Tight > > g = Shimmer > > h = Velvet > > i = Lusty > > j = Harley > > k = Passion > > l = Dazzle > > m = Dixon > > n = Spank > > o = Glitter > > p = Razor > > q = Meadow > > r = Glitz > > s = Sparkle > > t = Sweet > > u = Silver > > v = Tickle > > w = Cherry > > x = Hard > > y = Night > > z = Amber 3. Use the third letter of your last name to determine the second half of your new last name: > > a = hooter > > b = horn > > c = tower > > d = fire > > e = thighs > > f = hips > > g = side > > h = jugs > > i = shock > > j = ****er > > k = brook > > l = tush > > m = sizzle > > n = ridge > > o = kiss > > p = bomb > > q = cream > > r = thong > > s = heat > > t = whip > > u = cheeks > > v = rock > > w = hiney > > x = button > > y = lick > > z = juice

Leslie
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Candy Dixonthighs Shocked Confused Shocked

Leslie
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Raquelle Sunnyside Sounds like the name of a morning talk show host. Move over Kelly Ripa!!