Can you be too big to run safely? (Read 1432 times)

jburton2000

I have gained alot weight over the years and am now about 5'10'' and 266 lbs. Can I do damage if I start to run now? Thanks
    Lane

Anyone can do damage if they do too much too soon. Build up easy, and run at a slow pace. And when I mean slow, I mean s----l----o----w. I think you'll be fine. I suggest the couch-to-5k program (abbreviated C25k). Give me a second to find the link... MTA: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

an amazing likeness

Only you and your physician can answer that question -- what is ok for others may not be good for you. Have you considered starting your road to running by walking? Walking is really just slower, low-impact running and a great way to build your aerobic base.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

the fact you are asking makes you smarter than me. I was 245 about 2 years ago and decided to start running. After about 2 starts and stops I realized I was trying too much too soon and that was the main cause of getting hurt (shins). Walk/Run will be your friend. And slowly build into it. It's not glamorous. But in 6 months you could drop 20 pounds and start to do more running. But I think you are going to need to supplement with other things like stairclimbers and elipticals. Maybe walk/run 2 or 3 times a week.

Old, Slow, Happy

I have gained alot weight over the years and am now about 5'10'' and 266 lbs. Can I do damage if I start to run now? Thanks
            5 years ago I was 6'3" and 295 lbs. Now i'm 6'3" 200 lbs. I started exercising at the gym. I lifed weights Sun., Tues., Thurs. and ran on the treadmill on Mon., Wed., and Fri. When it got warm outside I started doing the running outside. I could only go about 3 miles and walked a little when I did that and that was after 6 months of the gym work. You can see my log and PRs to see what I can do now. I would recommend doing other things along with the running. The last Runners World had some good exercises. Also, be sure to stretch yourself well before and after you run. Just FYI: I started to pay very close attention to how I felt when I was running and what made me feel bad during a run. I have ended up eating very differently than I had been. It wasn't hard to change because my desire to run better was greater than my desire to eat. It worked very well for me. If you get to that point you can take the advice of a very smart runner who once said, "Eat food. Mostly plants. Not too much". It's excellent advice for people that want to run well (and everyone else for that matter).
              There's a guy in our running club who is way, way bigger than you. At a minimum, 100 lbs bigger. We have a series of road races in the fall/winter, every other sunday. There's a race every other weekend, for 20 weeks. 2 of each distance from the 5k to the half marathon. He does all of them. For the last 3-4 years. Without missing one race. Just build up slowly and realize that this is a long term thing. I'd recommend buying of of the two following books: "Galloway's Book on Running" by Jeff Galloway, or "Running for Mortals" by John Bingham. Personally I find that Bingham is a much better writer. Galloway makes outrageous claims about how far his training will take you, writes a lot of duplicating and contradicting information, and generally writes in a scatterbrained way. But both of these books will get the job done. Welcome to running.
              For message board success, follow these three easy steps in the correct order: 1) Read, 2) Comprehend, 3) Post.
                5 years ago I was 6'3" and 295 lbs. Now i'm 6'3" 200 lbs. I started exercising at the gym. I lifed weights Sun., Tues., Thurs. and ran on the treadmill on Mon., Wed., and Fri. When it got warm outside I started doing the running outside. I could only go about 3 miles and walked a little when I did that and that was after 6 months of the gym work. You can see my log and PRs to see what I can do now. I would recommend doing other things along with the running. The last Runners World had some good exercises. Also, be sure to stretch yourself well before and after you run. quote> +1 on Richard's comments I was 6'5" 265 ... talk to your MD; invest in the proper shoes [that means getting a gait analysis done at a reputable running store] ... and then take it really slow ... the pound will come off slowly but surely

2012= under-goaled

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Nothing new to add here - talk to your doc and decide with him/her. I started running at 285 pounds
                  jeffdonahue

I have seen guys that have done Ironman triathlons at close to 300 pounds when they started training. I do recommend as the others do that you start slowly with walking and then a good walk/run program to get you going. Dont overdo it.
                      There is some good advice already mentioned. C25K is a very good starting point for any new runner. Good luck and have fun with it. Keep us posted on your results and accomplishments as they are sure to come.

"You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas"  Davy Crockett

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

5 years ago I was 6'3" and 295 lbs. Now I'm 6'3" 200 lbs.
                        Well, I'm just glad that the height didn't change. Wink

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

...---...

I've seen some people in even half marathons that looked way heavier than 266. I see the folks on The Biggest Looser out there running all day...obviously, they had professional medical approval but usually contestants on that show are even double your weight.

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Doug Little

I waqs 327 lbs in April of 2002. Began walking and then 'jogged' for maybe a qtr of a mile. By August I was able to jog 1/4 mile. Then a mile then a little more and a little faster. Today, I run 100+ miles per week, have placed in 5K races and will do my first 1/2 marathon in March. No you are NOT too fat! One foot at a time. BY THE WAY..I now weight in at 177! Doug

Old, Slow, Happy

Well, I'm just glad that the height didn't change. Wink
                              I thought about that when I wrote it. My inseam did change. It got 2 inches longer. I think it's keeping the belt above the beer belly instead of below it.
                                Muscle and tendon injuries are very common in new runners. It takes time for the body to adapt to the rigors of running and new runners, excited about the new experience, often try to do too much too soon. Carrying extra weight during that conditioning period will only increase the odds of an injury. Can you run while over weight? Absolutely, and many do. It would make more sense however to lose as much extra weight as possible before starting a running program to give yourself a better chance of success. If you feel that running will help lose that extra weight, you are mistaken. Running at a beginners level doesn't burn near enough calories to make a significant contribution to weight loss. In fact, many new runners actually [i]gain[/i] weight due to an increased appetite. Run for fitness, eat less for weight loss. Tom