Ads are launched (Read 2086 times)

Eric! Seriously! At the very least do something like charge $2/mo, that's over double the existing price and is nothing. It would still be more than I pay for subscriptions of things I don't use!

Now when I get some time, it's time to sit down and work out how much I can donate as you are so bloody cheap!! Wink

Never forget the man who mistook his wife for a hat!

Ποτέ δεν ξεχνά τον άνθρωπο που μπέρδεψε τη γυναίκα του για ένα καπέλο!

Prince of Fatness

I just tested a text ad to the right that took me to the Eukanuba site.  It worked fine.

+1.  My only gripe was that it did not open the link in a new tab.

Not at it at all. 

eric :)

Google controls this and they said how it opens depends on the country you're in.  In the US, ads open in the same tab.  I agree that it's better to open in a new tab but there's nothing I can do.

xor

I wonder why that's locale specific.  Interesting.

gee, $10 for a whole year's subscription? I think I can handle that Cool

You are the grooviest of all the groovy people I know.

What he said!  Thanks Eric!

eric :)

Eric! Seriously! At the very least do something like charge $2/mo, that's over double the existing price and is nothing. It would still be more than I pay for subscriptions of things I don't use!

Now when I get some time, it's time to sit down and work out how much I can donate as you are so bloody cheap!! Wink

There are many reasons I started off with a subscription fee of $10.  Here are some off the top of my head:

- it only turns off ads and doesn't provide any additional functionality!

- it has to be affordable for most people

- it can't be too high that people will rather circumvent it by using adblock

I'm trying to set an amount that is acceptable to everyone.  At this point, I don't know how much revenue will be generated from ads and therefore won't be able to calculate the true subscription value. 

I also have a responsibility to the users.  I'm not doing this entirely to be rich.  Don't get me wrong, money is nice, but the users are my greatest assets.  It's only through taking care of everyone that I will succeed.  In today's economy, not everyone thinks $10 is cheap.  If you feel that the subscription fee is too low, nothing is preventing you from donating additional money.

wickedlady

you could always right click and "open link in new window".

Thanks for everything eric, I will definitely be subscribing, although the ads are pretty unobtrusive and relevant to the content so far!

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I think it's cheap at twice the price, but it may turn out to be enough, based on the tremendous loyalty of the users.  As for me, I'm not seeing any ads because I donated earlier.  What a deal!

No Talent Drips

I think it's cheap at twice the price, but it may turn out to be enough, based on the tremendous loyalty of the users.  As for me, I'm not seeing any ads because I donated earlier.  What a deal!

Big time.

Dei Gratia

You'll ruin your knees!

Mr, Eric,

You, sir, are all class. 

... and grooviness, and some more really good stuff.

Lynn

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

SMART Approach

For those like me who have contributed in the past, nothing has really changed. As long as you don't despise some clean ads, you can turn this feature on to help Eric OR many of us will not be contributing for quite some time unless we voluntarily contribute. Those of us who really really appreciate the site need to continue to help-and I think this goes without saying, even though I just said it.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Yeah, ads or no ads, contribute at least that $10 per year if you can.

Loves the outdoors

I just turned the ads on to have a look-see. They are very user specific! I am getting NZ websites, some for companies I have purchased from before. Not too obtrusive so far Smile

You are doing a great job Eric!

One day I decided I wanted to become a runner, so I did.

xor

Well, the ads seem to persistently want me to be in Boston.  Ok, I'm being somewhat dramatic.  But I *do* keep getting presented a yelp ad that is Boston-specific.

Then again, I've gotten several Seattle ads too.

Ad technology fascinates me.