Sports Massage / Rehab Recommendations? (Toledo, OH) (Read 690 times)

I'm in the Toledo (OH) area. I pulled my calf a few months ago, and as I'm getting back into running, it just doesn't feel like it healed right. I feel like it is really tight, and if I press/dig into it, there's some pain deep inside the calf muscle somewhere, towards the outside of the leg. I was thinking about going to get a sports massage. Anyone have any first hand (or otherwise) experiences with any of the local places that offer sports massage? Any recommendations? If I just go to one of these places, and tell them what I said above, do they generally know what to do? Or should I go the M.D. route and try to get a referral? Thanks in advance for any info!

Lazy idiot

Good luck in getting things worked out. If you lived closer to Columbus, I'd have some suggestions for you, but I'm not familiar with the Toledo area. Perhaps Mishka will stroll by.

Tick tock

Old, Slow, Happy

I live about 45 miles west of you. I don't know about the possibilities in Toledo. There is a person out here that does sports massage and does it well. She is Rachel Sauder's sister, if that means anything to you. For those that don't know, Rachel ran for Auburn several years ago and has been in the last two Olympic Marathon Qualifiers. She finished 25th in the last one. I can get you hooked up with the sports massage person if you want or you can call The Body Shop gym in Wauseon (419-335-2300). They can help you.
        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

If you lived closer to Columbus, I'd have some suggestions for you
          Big grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Top 'O the World!

Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
              I'm in the Toledo (OH) area. I pulled my calf a few months ago, and as I'm getting back into running, it just doesn't feel like it healed right. I feel like it is really tight, and if I press/dig into it, there's some pain deep inside the calf muscle somewhere, towards the outside of the leg. I was thinking about going to get a sports massage. Anyone have any first hand (or otherwise) experiences with any of the local places that offer sports massage? Any recommendations? If I just go to one of these places, and tell them what I said above, do they generally know what to do? Or should I go the M.D. route and try to get a referral? Thanks in advance for any info!
              I am not in Toldeo, but I have some advice for you, as I just finished a Sports Massage today for a calf Injury! Backround: Chronic tightness in my calves that cropped up in my HM training. The Running store I go to recommeded a place that does deep tissue massage. I went, and she found a grade 1 tear to my soleus. She is also a Tri-Athlete and Runner who specializes in treating Runners/Marathoners. My advice to you would be to go to your running store, and ask them if they know of someone in the area whom specializes in treating athletes and runners. They *KNOW* what to look for, and what to treat. My pain was deep under the calf, and very achey, and she knew exactly how to manipulate it, and get the tissues lined back up and work out the knots. 2 weeks later my tear has healed, and I am ready to resume my training. You have to go to someone who knows how to Hurt you. There are alot of franchise type massage places that are fine, but if you want something really medically invasive, seek someone out. I would highly recommend it. It has helped me tremendously. Good Luck!

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

Top 'O the World!

what's with all this "hurt you" stuff??? yes, some therapuetic treatments hurt....most shouldn't...depends on the technique & quality of the therapist!
                Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
                  what's with all this "hurt you" stuff??? yes, some therapuetic treatments hurt....most shouldn't...depends on the technique & quality of the therapist!
                  Hurt you good..... you know, get on top of the trigger point, and work it so you take a deep breath because they found the trouble spot..... For those with a weaker pain tolerance, it may hurt a bit.... It's all good stuff. Wink MTA: just realized your profession! Smile You certainly know the good hurt I speak of then! Wink

Top 'O the World!

yes, but others don't necessarily Wink btw, I use hot stones & arnica a great deal (& other stuff as needed) to lessen the intensity of the "hurt so good" & because it's more long term beneficial...
                      yes, but others don't necessarily Wink btw, I use hot stones & arnica a great deal (& other stuff as needed) to lessen the intensity of the "hurt so good" & because it's more long term beneficial...
                      I have had alot of success with Arnica too! I use a cream called Arnicare that is arnica. WONDERFUL stuff that really seems to work great. My LMT used hot stones also, particularly on my shoulders where I hold alot of tension normally. I would recommend Massage to anyone, as I said it has made a WORLD of difference to me, and because of my MT, I am going to the staring line Saturday! You all ROCK.... Smile

Top 'O the World!

Smile Smile Congratulations!! Cool