First time I've ever been ticketed while running in Chicago (Read 1483 times)

Early this morning around 2 am in Atlanta, I was hating life because of the unbelievable high pollen count and how it impacted me physically the past two days.  Then, as sleepless in the south,I discovered this thread.  I was smiling ear to ear reading every entry and this evening when I glanced again, the thread was still alive and ticking.

Thanks for the entertainment.

Since you're in Hotlanta, you can always get a laugh out of the the 40 degree weather plus rain Chicago received in this sub par Spring. I know of one more way you can get some laughs at Chicago's expense, but that's so obvious, there's no need to mention it. Tight lips

So you're saying it's not so much having a conviction on your record that matters, it's the consequences of having a conviction on you record that you care about.

That's deep right there.

-- I agree with him.  In the end, he may possibly be "convicted" of running along the tracks, who gives a hoot!  So what.

-- But if the consequence is that it affects getting a job because all the employer sees is "trespassing" on a job application and might assume it was something much worse than running next to some dang train tracks, then I'd care.

I swear I am missing something though.  Misdemeanor, not felony, and you ONLY have to report Felonies on job applications, far as I know.

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

Even when trying to be as overt as possible, I sometimes employ a brand of sarcasm too subtle to hit its mark. Alas.

Runners run

So many levels of sarcasm, seriousness, folks who are being sarcastic that come across as serious, folks that  are being serious, but they across as sarcastic...  I'm dense, and on a quick read, who knows what is what.  Or where that what comes from and how?.  Or what the intention of that quote from where came from, and by whom and wherefor.   Or who thought of it and put it where, and when it was they did so, and why.   You know.

Big grin

Mr. Handsome wants your ass in a sling.

awkward

"Famous last words"  ~Bhearn

I swear I am missing something though.  Misdemeanor, not felony, and you ONLY have to report Felonies on job applications, far as I know.

You are missing something: a working understanding of the law.

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

So many levels of sarcasm, seriousness, folks who are being sarcastic that come across as serious, folks that  are being serious, but they across as sarcastic...  I'm dense, and on a quick read, who knows what is what.  Or where that what comes from and how?.  Or what the intention of that quote from where came from, and by whom and wherefor.   Or who thought of it and put it where, and when it was they did so, and why.   You know.

Big grin

Everybody should be required, after each post, to post an explanation of the post.

--------

This may be sarcasm, but I'm not sure.

Everybody should be required, after each post, to post an explanation of the post.

--------

This may be sarcasm, but I'm not sure.

+1

------------------

This means that I agree with the post above.

TJoseph

+1

------------------

+1

--------------

And the one above that as well.

And the one above that one as well.

But not certain about the one above that....

-------------

Ok, I'll cease and desist.  Smile

And to bring this train back on the track (there I go again), I have a serious question for RedBird, and I want you to reply honestly RedBird.   This is just out of curiosity. Think back....   When the Metra cop pulled you aside to ticket you, was your demeanor "I'm sorry officer, I just was uncertain of the rules", or was it kind of "huff puff" and the visible body language indicating that you thought the ticket was BS?

(And again, I think it was kind of BS + he could have let you off with a warning!, but just wondering if you bottled up your displeasure, or if it was visible to the cop...)  And admittedly, in my younger days, they would probably seen displeasure in me... :-)

+1

--------------

And the one above that as well.

And the one above that one as well.

But not certain about the one above that....

-------------

Ok, I'll cease and desist.  Smile

And to bring this train back on the track (there I go again), I have a serious question for RedBird, and I want you to reply honestly RedBird.   This is just out of curiosity. Think back....   When the Metra cop pulled you aside to ticket you, was your demeanor "I'm sorry officer, I just was uncertain of the rules", or was it kind of "huff puff" and the visible body language indicating that you thought the ticket was BS?

(And again, I think it was kind of BS + he could have let you off with a warning!, but just wondering if you bottled up your displeasure, or if it was visible to the cop...)  And admittedly, in my younger days, they would probably seen displeasure in me... :-)

My demeanor was more in the mode of  "I'm sorry officer, I just was uncertain of the rules."  And after that since I never believed what I did called for me to be pulled over, especially since that wasn't my first time using that path.  I thought he would just give me a warning and let me go.  I'll never know what was going through that cop's head.  Maybe if I was Frederica Bird, I would have had a better chance. 

So just lie on the application!  It's not like the Job Application Police are gonna pull you over and write you a ticket.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

Twenty pages and only 1 subscriber.  Come on people, we're slipping.

You people have issues 

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

This thread is fun...I want in!

I'd take a roll of the dice and represent myself.  I've paid lawyers before, I've represented myself before (on various occasions for various violations).  If the lawyer is buddy buddy with the judge than it will get reduced to some type of fine or dismissed.  If the lawyer is not on good terms with the judge, you'd be better off or equal on your own.

My game plan would be as follows:

1. Wear a blue blazer with brass buttons, or a suit, or something you would wear to a formal occasion.  Cut your hair, shave, look respectable.

2. Try to pick out the Metra cop beforehand.  Introduce yourself and endear yourself to him... "Hi, my name's Jean Shorts, remember you stopped me for tresspassing on the tracks while I was jogging [contrite smile, absolutely not smug], "I'm sorry about that, I didn't know I couldn't run there".  "How does this work...I've never had to do anything like this before".  Don't bug the cop.  If he's not having it than retreat.

3. When it is time to talk to the judge: "Your honor, I have some pictures here from where I received the citation, would you like to see them?"  Give the judge the pictures and your "map my run" to show that you were really just jogging (I'd say jogging not running...running sounds like you were going too fast and not paying attention, jogging is a healthy wholesome activity).  Explain, "I was jogging over to the park and I passed through... (do not say "cut through").  ...I was surprised to be stopped for tresspassing because it seems like it is a safe distance away from the tracks, and it seems like people use this area to walk through all the time, and I did not see any signs...if there were signs I would have used a different route.

At this point you need to read the judge (not always possible).  The judge will then ask the officer if what you said is correct.  If you were able to shmooze the officer earlier then he'll say "That's pretty accurate and Jean Shorts didn't give me a hard time about this" (I hope you didn't give the officer a hard time...giving an officer a hard time has never helped anyone ever).

The judge will probably ask you if you've ever been cited for anything before "No sir, not even a speeding ticket" <---insert honest phrase that describes you.

If at any point it looks like it is not going your way, be prepared to say  "I understand now that I was tresspassing and I'm OK with paying a fine if I have to, I just have never been cited like this before and I don't want to have this on my record."

Aim for getting off completely, settle for paying a fine, start kicking and screaming if you get a full sentence.

My experience with the justice system is "choose the path of least resistance".  Your opinion about who is right and who is wrong doesn't mean jack squat...it is the judges opinion that matters.

My opinion...if the lawyer does a good job, they get paid.  If the lawyer does a crap job, they get paid.  That's a roll of the dice.  Plus I think you look like a bit of an A-hole if you lawyer up for a minor charge.

Thank everyone for their time.

This post is an example of how to best increase your odds of getting "best possible" results.  Naming the guy Jean Shorts and wearing the blue blazer was a sarcastic throw back to earlier parts of the thread.  Other than that, this is sincerely how I would go about handling this situation.

**Ask me about streaking**

Twenty pages and only 1 subscriber.  Come on people, we're slipping.

There's no need to subscribe to a topic that never falls off the recent topics carousel. LEARN TO USE THE TOOLS NOOB.

Runners run