Losing Weigh, Upper Body Getting Flabbier (Read 1755 times)

I have noticed that, as my miles have increased over my first few years running, I am losing weight, but becoming flabbier in my upper body. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. My goal is to be more tone than big.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Are you sure it's flab and not just loose skin? As your volume decreases (fat occupies more space than muscle or nothing) your surface area (skin) will probably not decrease proportionally (unless you're very young). I know there are medical procedures that remove excess skin.
      2008 Goals Don't attack the guy that passes me like I'm standing still when I think I'm running fast...I can't catch him anyway and I'd just look silly
        I'm 5' 6", 155. At my heaviest, which was about 3-4 years ago, I was 187-188. I had much more muscle mass back then. It could be excess skin, but if that's the case and medical procedures are the solution, I'll probably just live with it. In this case, I think my selection of a goal BMI of 22.9 is not the best.

When weight is lost it isn't either all fat or all muscle or all anything. There is a mix of fat and muscle loss but in your lower body you are building strength by running so probably not losing as much. Doesn't sound like you've lost enough weight for excessive loose skin to be an issue. Why not do some weight training for your upper body. Body weight exercises like pull ups, press ups, chins and dips.... if you are feeling adventurous planche training should do it (just kidding)
          The Graduates - a community of post C25K runners!

Started Running 21 April 2008

2008 Running Goals
          • Finish C25K 22 Jun 2008
          • Run 5K 43:29 29 Jun 2008
          • Complete a 10K fun run
            Why not do some weight training for your upper body. Body weight exercises like pull ups, press ups, chins and dips.... if you are feeling adventurous planche training should do it (just kidding)
            What he said. Strength training of some sort will help tone a floppy upper body.
            Brandon
              BMI is the most worthless excuse for a measurement known to man. At one point in my life I had a BMI of almost 28 with 11% body fat. I'm going to agree that you probably haven't lost enough weight to have excess skin. I'm also going to agree that upper body exercise is the way to go. If you're really adventurous and want to look like an idiot, carry some light dumbbells on your runs and do arm exercises as you go. Now that I've said that, it's probably horrible and maybe even dangerous advice but if you do it, please post video. Wink
              2008 Goals Don't attack the guy that passes me like I'm standing still when I think I'm running fast...I can't catch him anyway and I'd just look silly
              Purdey

Self anointed title

BMI is the most worthless excuse for a measurement known to man.
                Trent?

Id say hit the GYM when you can - bench, arm weights, presses etc etc...........it wil definately help...and in the mean time it will make you feel great while in the process......

Champions are made when no one is watching

Welcome to my boat! I lost about 45 pounds in the last 2 years and I've also noticed things are a little more wiggly. Mostly, my arms have that nice Oprah-like jiggle on the insides which irritates the crap out of me because I can see it flopping around when I run now. What everyone said already is the only option - weight train. You can definitely tone things up enough that the sagginess will diminish without looking "big". I brought some light weights to my job and keep them in my locker. When things are slow during my night shift, i break them out and do some curls, tricep exercises, shoulder presses and some push ups against the wall. Its a slow process, but you gotta stick with it and try different things. Good Luck!!!
                    colinw

I had a similar issue and have had good success doing resistance training with weights. I prefer free weights to machines, but whatever you want will do the trick. I usually do mostly upper body with a few more compound movements that include some of the larger muscle groups and work everything together. For example: Squats w/ dumbells or barbell Bench press Lunges (with small dumbbells or just body weight) Bent over Dumbbell Rows Deadlift (with barbell) Dumbbell push Press (weight in each hand, standing position, lift straight up and down) and sometimes I throw in some curls, although they aren't really necessary. I find doing that routine gives me a stronger core, way stronger upper body and gives the legs enough of a workout with the squats and deads that it complements my running to keep the legs solid. I usually do 3 sets of each exercise, 12-15 reps each, and I superset them. Meaning I do 12 reps of squat, then immediately 12 reps of bench, then rest. Do that 3 times then move on to the next two exercises in the same fashion. It gives a pretty good workout if you use a heavy enough weight and you can see results quite quickly. Good luck and make sure to practice good form before lifting anything too heavy - you don't want to hurt yourself.

5k PR - 26:27 | 10k PR - ??? | HM PR - 2:09:14

heelgrad92

Why not do some weight training for your upper body. Body weight exercises like pull ups, press ups, chins and dips.... if you are feeling adventurous planche training should do it (just kidding)
                        This is what you need to do. I do 3 sets of dips, 3 sets of chinups, and 3 sets of captain's chair situps, two to three times a week. It will leave you ripped if you stick with it, and it's a quick workout.

Outside Lane

How do you do a captain's chair situp? You could join the Hundred Pushups Challenge user group on this site!

See how they run...

heelgrad92

How do you do a captain's chair situp? You could join the Hundred Pushups Challenge user group on this site!
                            The captain's chair is the thing where you rest your arms on the bar and hold yourself up while you pull your knees up toward your chest. To quote a website, "To do the exercise, stabilize your upper body by gripping the handholds and lightly pressing your lower back against the back pad of the chair-like equipment. The starting position begins with you holding your body up and legs dangling below. Now slowly lift your knees in toward your chest. The motion should be controlled and deliberate as you bring your knees up and return them back to the starting position." I have a piece of equipment that is a combo chin-up, dip, captain's chair. This is the equipment for it: http://www.amazon.com/Brookstone-Power-Tower/dp/B000VGAZDK/ref=pd_bbs_2/102-4816090-2564161?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1219368662&sr=8-2
                              Thank you all very much. I think I'm going to opt for a pushup, pullup, situp routine. Do you all think I should do all three every day (like Hershel Walker was famous for)?