The COVID-19 Wild West Thread (Read 601 times)

Half Crazy K 2.0

RP, the majority of a school budget is salaries, benefits and buildings. By majority, I mean over 90%. I would think testing should fall udner a federal program. Of course, that would mean the federal goverment would have to fund something for education. Typically they like to issue a mandate with no funding.

With skiiing, I wonder what the injury rate needing medical treatment is? If the hospitals are overwhelmed, last thing they need are more patients. I also wonder in certain areas if skiing injuries could create problems with medical helicopters. There are only so many medical helicopters. If an area is already needing to fly covid patients to hospitals 100+ miles away, is there going to be a a helicopter available when a skier meets a tree?

Running Problem

Problem Child

half According to google its is 3 days of injury per 1000 days of skiing. I think that statistic is flawed since I've known lots of people  to get injured because they thought snowboarding/skiing sounded like a fun hobby. Nevermind the people who get tagged in the face because someone thought carrying their board/skis on their shoulder was a good idea until a friend called them from behind. THWACK! to the face. They were at a ski resort. They were not skiing. They were standing in the parking lot and some inexperienced skier injured them.  I think "due to covid 19" there would be an INCREASE in the number of first time skiiers. It's the only recreation allowed. Lets then talk about the people driving home 4 hours after a full day of skiing and being exhausted. No joke. Two highway lanes going out of state are at a CRAWL for what's normally a 1 hour drive. Yeah, I think ski resorts should stay closed. sucks for all the businesses that need the tourists though. COVID 19 is an economy killer. Thank GOD Joe Biden is going to fix it.

Skiing Injuries - Most Common Injuries & How to Prevent Them (sportsinjuryclinic.net)

Hopefully an MCL is a quick recovery.

Sports Injury Statistics (stanfordchildrens.org)

According to Stanford ice hockey is safer than skiing for kids 5-14. Probably because "there are less kids playing hockey."

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

adkkev

RP - so you’ve known “lots of people” who have been injured skiing?  What constitutes “lots of people”?  

FYI most of the ski areas in the northeast closed back in March when the pandemic started rolling along.  In NYS there are protocols set up for this season and areas will be limited to 50% of capacity.  No walk up ski passes, everything has to be purchased in advance.  And the way things are going in NYS right now there’s a good chance that the governor will shut them all down again.  

And, just a reminder, there is much more to New York than NYC.  When things were horrible down in the city, things were pretty calm in much of upstate NY.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

RP - so you’ve known “lots of people” who have been injured skiing?  What constitutes “lots of people”?  

FYI most of the ski areas in the northeast closed back in March when the pandemic started rolling along.  In NYS there are protocols set up for this season and areas will be limited to 50% of capacity.  No walk up ski passes, everything has to be purchased in advance.  And the way things are going in NYS right now there’s a good chance that the governor will shut them all down again.  

And, just a reminder, there is much more to New York than NYC.  When things were horrible down in the city, things were pretty calm in much of upstate NY.

My husband has a ski pass that he will just keep in his pocket -  he can walk right up to the lift without even needing the pass to get scanned.  He's going to bring a lunch and eat it in the car.

My son and I have both been injured while skiing (a high-speed quad lift hit him due to operator inattention and a woman trying to keep up with her husband plowed into me), so it does happen.  Son got an ambulance ride to the local airport, a helicopter ride to the city airport, and then another ambulance ride to the city hospital.  The ski resort paid for the entire bill, thank goodness.

rlopez

Welcome to trying to have a conversation with RP. 

Good luck.

My husband has a ski pass that he will just keep in his pocket -  he can walk right up to the lift without even needing the pass to get scanned.  He's going to bring a lunch and eat it in the car.

My son and I have both been injured while skiing (a high-speed quad lift hit him due to operator inattention and a woman trying to keep up with her husband plowed into me), so it does happen.  Son got an ambulance ride to the local airport, a helicopter ride to the city airport, and then another ambulance ride to the city hospital.  The ski resort paid for the entire bill, thank goodness.

One of the perks of a former job was an annual Pass for Breckenridge, Copper, A-Basin, Keystone. It was great to go in the morning, take one run, and if the snow was crap just leave. All the tourists had to try to get their money's worth by taking as many runs as possible on the ice, probably leading to a lot of injuries. I board, not ski, so my chances of injury are a lot lower, and mainly limited to hand, arm and collarbone, not lower body things that can keep you from walking or running. #1 snowboarding injury is a dislocated thumb from catching it in the snow when falling. Always fist-up and punch the ground when falling, don't try to grab it with splayed fingers! Most common ski injury is knee sprain from hyperextension. Because skis allow, and often force, your legs to twist in two seperate directions during a crash.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Lane

Welcome to trying to have a conversation with RP. 

Good luck.

Could be worse, princess.  I have known lots of people who avoided injury by skiing uphill like T-rexes carrying Navy Seals on their heads with lower heat rate than you toilet vultures have when licking Alberto Salazar's boots.

MTA: I literally can't keep up with this thread.  Has SportJester himself weighed in yet?

an amazing likeness

I can't read the article, but to me, I think the US has taken step 1. New leadership.

On head shaking crap...

Anyone who has read, or heard an interview from Michael, or even just skimmed a summary of Michael Lewis's 'The Fifth Risk' knew from the get-go the lack of capable leadership was a desired feature, not a bug.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

an amazing likeness

half According to google its is 3 days of injury per 1000 days of skiing. I think that statistic is flawed since I've known lots of people  to get injured...

Certainly that's well know as to how data and facts work -- anecdotal "evidence" reigns supreme over reality.

Running Problem

Problem Child

250 sound like a lot to you, or is that just a small number? How about “every single person who has been injured while skiing has been injured at _______ ski resort? Some of the worst injuries including the left knee and then the right knee. As soon as the left knee was healed enough to go ski the right knee was blown out. Same resort. Some people have all the luck.

Ski areas closed here. Friends were upset that while working from home they couldn’t sneak out for skiing. Funny how that worked out. California is limited to 25 and I hear you need reservations for parking and lunch. No walk ups because somehow you can catch covid from a local who has a day off, but not from someone from three states away who didn’t have to pass a test before coming to town. California needs the money and the governor can’t come up with a logical reason to close them apparently. Should be interesting seeing people eat on the ski lift to avoid the lack of regular options. Somehow found that to be just as safe as outdoor restaurant dining....which is closed (again) due to covid 19. None of it makes sense anymore other than “oh it’s ——- season so we need to heavily restrict that industry.” No one seemed to care if ski resorts were open or closed all summer for mountain biking.

edit: I listened to enough Wu Tang Clan to know there is more than NYC. There is the Bronx, Manhattan, Satan’s island.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

Running Problem

Problem Child

Certainly that's well know as to how data and facts work -- anecdotal "evidence" reigns supreme over reality.

The facts are made up and the data doesn’t matter anyways. Just listen to Gavin Newsome speak. He has all this data but CANNOT tell people how many outbreaks have been linked to the industries being closed. Sucks when those owners say “we have done everything you told us and literally have less than one positive test yet you’re shutting us down to stop the spread of Covid.”

VDOT 53.37 

an amazing likeness

The facts are made up and the data doesn’t matter anyways.

Total and utter bullshit. I pity anyone who is so daft as to adopt this as a life philosophy.

Luciplay

Stay safe and yourself healthy and protected

Running Problem

Problem Child

Total and utter bullshit. I pity anyone who is so daft as to adopt this as a life philosophy.

https://youtu.be/1gl__LLKMIs

lighten up Francis. Maybe watch some TV and relax.

https://www.dailynews.com/2020/12/07/california-rolls-out-new-app-to-alert-you-of-potential-covid-19-exposure/

California rolled out an app to track contact tracing. Great tool to release when the stay at home order is issued . Talk about bad timing.

VDOT 53.37 

rlopez

Could be worse, princess.  I have known lots of people who avoided injury by skiing uphill like T-rexes carrying Navy Seals on their heads with lower heat rate than you toilet vultures have when licking Alberto Salazar's boots.

MTA: I literally can't keep up with this thread.  Has SportJester himself weighed in yet?

Nah, but if you say his name three times...