The COVID-19 Wild West Thread (Read 601 times)

I wouldn't be that excited if I caught it, but congrats?

50/50 excitement.

50: It's not fun, being sick never is.

Other 50: Silver lining: if I do indeed have it, I won't catch it again, at least for a while.

I'll chronicle my CV19 journey here for other middle age joggers, so they can get an in-person account of dealing with it.

Getting it over with feels like an accomplishment of a dreaded task. I live in an urban hellhole (my definition of an area with more than 150,000 residents. and the Bay Area has 7.5 million), so my chances of catching it are pretty high. I was never worried about severe enough symptoms to send me to the hospital, according to most people's experiences with it; those who actually develop noticeable symptoms. 3-5 days of blah, and that's what it's turning out to be. This is the beginning of day 3 and I feel a little buzzy but not bedridden like previously. I'm even having coffee! It may ramp up as the day goes on, though. I could just be "fresh" from sleeping all night.

Timing isn't too bad, my life accomplice, a germaphobe, is away until July. The teenage boy is already socially/physically distant and also a compulsive handwasher and neat freak.

The free drive-through testing site a few blocks from my house doesn't open until Monday morning, I'll go then. Crossing my fingers and hoping I DO have it for reason mentioned above.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

As of yet, we have no evidence that this is true.

Silver lining: if I do indeed have it, I won't catch it again, at least for a while.

mikeymike

I hope you don't have it and you get well soon, Bill.

Runners run

Prince of Fatness

Crossing my fingers and hoping I DO have it for reason mentioned above.

You're crazy.

Not at it at all. 

As of yet, we have no evidence that this is true.

I agree, I haven't read anything definitive. We still don't know anything definitive about CV19 recovery.

the operating phrase is "for a while".

The few cases in S. Korea where people got reinfected after recovering are still in question due to testing reliability; and I believe they tested positive but didn't have symptoms.

Using the other corona viruses as examples, it could be 6-12 months of "immunity" (common cold) or 2-3 years (SARS, MERS).

Either way, it's "for a while".

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

I've read in many places (Corriere.it / theguardian, etc) that previous bouts with the regular coronaviruses might offer immunity against SARS-COV-2.

Anyway, Brazil is currently number 2 in the "rankings". However, while the USA has nearly 100K tests per million, Brazil has 13K.

Trump is right, if you don't test, there's no disease.

For as slow as the US has been in its response, the moment they decided to be half way serious they scrambled around the world stepping on the head of anyone on the way and got a hold of tests/ventilators/you name it + first seat if a vaccine comes out.

Brazil is fucked!

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

50/50 excitement.

50: It's not fun, being sick never is.

Other 50: Silver lining: if I do indeed have it, I won't catch it again, at least for a while.

I'll chronicle my CV19 journey here for other middle age joggers, so they can get an in-person account of dealing with it.

Getting it over with feels like an accomplishment of a dreaded task. I live in an urban hellhole (my definition of an area with more than 150,000 residents. and the Bay Area has 7.5 million), so my chances of catching it are pretty high. I was never worried about severe enough symptoms to send me to the hospital, according to most people's experiences with it; those who actually develop noticeable symptoms. 3-5 days of blah, and that's what it's turning out to be. This is the beginning of day 3 and I feel a little buzzy but not bedridden like previously. I'm even having coffee! It may ramp up as the day goes on, though. I could just be "fresh" from sleeping all night.

Yeah and some people have 3-5 days of blah and then end up in ICU (the UK PM an example). I would rather get it when the experts have gathered more knowledge on it.

Good luck with the drive-thru test...I went to one about 6 weeks ago and was given a self swabbing kit (combined throat and nose swab) and it wasn’t the most pleasant experience. I’m guessing there are quite a few false negatives simply because some folk won’t be able to do the procedure correctly.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Yeah and some people have 3-5 days of blah and then end up in ICU (the UK PM an example). I would rather get it when the experts have gathered more knowledge on it.

Yeah, if I had a choice I'd rather wait for a vaccine. Que sera.

I put off going to the ICU to paint my garage this morning, since I feel almost normal except a little fuzzy in the head. But that might be from laying around so much, and watching 10hrs of TV.

Seattle prattle

Hope you're feeling better, there, fellow west coaster.

I can sympathize in that i got a vaccine a couple of days (second in a series of two) and both times it kicked my butt. Basically like a mild flue.

Missed one day of running.

Funny, but as i was recovering slowly, i was feeling noticeably better but i just felt achy, un-energetic, and disinterested in all those things that usually make up a big part of my day, namely running, lifting, and getting moving.

I thought, is this the vaccine lingering, or am i just feeling like a person that is as old as my birth certificate says i am (yeah, right!).

Well, last night felt good enough to get out for a respectable run and today i feel great. Just great!

Here's to your return to good health, and mine, too, for that matter. For all it's worth!

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Yeah, if I had a choice I'd rather wait for a vaccine. Que sera.

I put off going to the ICU to paint my garage this morning, since I feel almost normal except a little fuzzy in the head. But that might be from laying around so much, and watching 10hrs of TV.

I think you would get wheeled into ICU on a trolley if it’s life threatening once you are actually in hospital. Maybe it’s different in the US.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

I think you would get wheeled into ICU on a trolley if it’s life threatening once you are actually in hospital. Maybe it’s different in the US.

I was going to heed your advice of not feeling well for a few days and then going to the ICU, like that guy in England-land. You know, cuz everyone who gets the virus is going to go to the hospital and probably die.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I haven’t got a fucking clue what you’re talking about. Anyway, I hope you’re feeling better. 👍

"Yeah and some people have 3-5 days of blah and then end up in ICU (the UK PM an example). I would rather get it when the experts have gathered more knowledge on it."

memory goes first with age.

What were we talking about?

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Beam me up Scotty. 

ETA - Surly Bill - If you’re overweight then now is the time to start thinking about diet. 👍