The COVID-19 Wild West Thread (Read 601 times)

rlopez

Gosh, this must be true on every site.  I'm a moderator on a college search website.  It's the usual list of suspects that cause 99% of the problems.   Then when we ban them (after many, many warnings), the other troublemakers chime in about how horrible and "capricious" the moderating is.  Drives me bonkers.

I used to moderate the marathon maniacs and half fanatics fb groups. Also, for awhile, a chunk of a different (pre-RA) site that was their wild west area. You are correct! OMG..

Horrible

capricious

censorship

nazi

bleh bleh bleh

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Yes. Godwin's law is always demonstrated.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

There should be a Facebook group or other venue where website moderators could congregate and commiserate.  Smile

There's a "venting" thread on the college website where you can post anything (within TOS) and nobody is allowed to respond.  I am very tempted to post rlopez's post about the clique that is a pain in the ass to moderators, but I will restrain myself.  One bad thing about being a moderator, you have to behave yourself.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

I used to moderate the marathon maniacs and half fanatics fb groups. Also, for awhile, a chunk of a different (pre-RA) site that was their wild west area. You are correct! OMG..

Horrible

capricious

censorship

nazi

bleh bleh bleh

Have you ever heard of a person just issued a speeding ticket thanking the officer for all they do to keep the roads safe?

Me neither.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Have you ever heard of a person just issued a speeding ticket thanking the officer for all they do to keep the roads safe?

Me neither.

But the people who swear at moderators probably wouldn't swear at the officers.  I've gotten some doozy PMs.

rlopez

Me neither.

Actually as a POC, I have. Because sometimes that is what one does to de-escalate a potential situation.

BTW, earlier in this thread, it was posited that I was from a cop family and a former cop. True and... sort of. I wasn't a give-someone-a-speeding-ticket cop. I was a "I'm going to kick your ass if you disrupt this flight" cop. Anyway, I got the same lesson from my brown (and sometimes-a-cop) dad that many nonwhite kids get when dealing with traffic stops - yes sir, no sir, just be neutral.

>> But the people who swear at moderators probably wouldn't swear at the officers.  I've gotten some doozy PMs.

Plus this. Holeeee shit.

Prince of Fatness

But the people who swear at moderators probably wouldn't swear at the officers.  I've gotten some doozy PMs.

I’ll never understand the mindset of people who think that the way to get others to buy into their way of thinking is by berating them. I see this all of the time on social media.

Not at it at all. 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I dunno. Maybe they are not thinking about it?

I’ll never understand the mindset of people who think that the way to get others to buy into their way of thinking is by berating them. I see this all of the time on social media.

rlopez

Also comes up working retail A LOT. If you think you are going to score a discount (edit: or a refund for something you don't want, don't have a receipt for, and maybe partially consumed... yeah, this happens) from me by acting like a shithead, it rarely goes that way. But some people just escalate and escalate. 

Which, hey covid, brings us back to mask compliance. Good fucking god*** some people are jerks.

(*** I did not say which god)

Teresadfp

One day at a time

If you want to see red, look at this page (note the lovely cover photo).  Ugh. I'm surprised Maine has such a low infection rate with idiots like this running around. Their page was shut down for awhile, but it's up again for some reason.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/mainestandup

Julia1971

There should be a Facebook group or other venue where website moderators could congregate and commiserate.  Smile

There's a "venting" thread on the college website where you can post anything (within TOS) and nobody is allowed to respond.  I am very tempted to post rlopez's post about the clique that is a pain in the ass to moderators, but I will restrain myself.  One bad thing about being a moderator, you have to behave yourself.

Delurking to say, for what it's worth, that I appreciate you all.  This is pretty much the only public online forum that I ever comment on and it's because you all keep it civil.

Thank you!

rlopez

Hi Julia

Julia1971

Hi Julia

Hi!

I'm suddenly feeling the urge to put my sweet orange jacket on.  Smile

Running Problem

Problem Child

https://vegas.eater.com/2020/8/6/21357611/nevada-state-legislature-passes-bill-covid-19-protections-hospitality-workers-coronavirus-pandemic

Meanwhile...In Nevada you're exempt from a lawsuit related to COVID 19 as long as you follow the Governor's rules. I wonder if this includes brothels and strip clubs that are currently closed due to their high risk of spreading COVID 19. They've probably been closed the entire time COVID 19 has spread through the state.

Maybe a race can happen in Nevada now. Waved entry. Masks at the start like. Tell runners to stay 6 feet away from each other.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Running Problem

Problem Child

Me neither.

*raises hand*

Actually, I have. I also follow it with "have a nice day" mostly because I knew the posted speed limit and decided not to obey it. Mostly because cops kind of deal with liars, cheats, theives, and the people no one chooses to be around on a daily basis, including myself, so it makes me feel like I'm doing something special in their life when I'm polite. It also might make them think I'm full of shit when I say "thank you sir. Have a nice day" which isn't a quote from The 12 Monkeys.

If the lady at Trader Joe's had been ejected for not wearing a mask (ideally right before she was about to pay) I'd also have thanked the men and women at the grocery store.

During COVID 19 I get upset cops aren't out issuing MORE speeding tickets. Apparently 10 mph over the speed limit isn't as dangerous as playing at a park these days.

Maybe those idiots in Maine are just doing something no one else is doing and figured out how to get that COVID 19 thing past them. You say idiots. I say "they have an extremely low infection rate so the idiots must be the ones who can't stop infecting each other."

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22