The COVID-19 Wild West Thread (Read 601 times)

MoBramExam

Seven people weren't wearing masks.

Maybe they were visiting from Texas??

(Being sarcastic...the olive branch in my 9/16 post was sincere)

Half Crazy K 2.0

What I don't get with the masks & stores is that this should be so easy--no mask, you can't come in, we will accomodate you by bringing the items to you. No need to know why you can't/won't wear a mask.

Masks and outdoors. I got to experience this yesterday. I did my first race in 9 months. I picked the wrong one. It was really small, maybe 40 people, but not chip timed & used a mass start. A "mask zone" was established that was basically a park pavilion & the start area. Masks were not required on the course. What this meant was the second the starting whistle blew, majority of masks were ripped off. There was no distancing at that point. Just leave them on for the minute it takes to spread out, really not that hard. It felt like there was so much focus on the start/finish area that other things were totally ignored, like making sure participants stay away from one another. I wound up telling a tween boy he needed to maintain at least 6 feet of space from me--either he needed to pass me & maintain his speed (no more of this pass me, slow way down so I catch up, then speed up cause he got passed, etc) or stay back, I didn't care which.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

What I don't get with the masks & stores is that this should be so easy--no mask, you can't come in, we will accomodate you by bringing the items to you. No need to know why you can't/won't wear a mask.

I asked the kid working at the front door of WalMart about it, and he sighed and said, "Yeah, I know I'm supposed to tell people to wear masks, but I've given up because they just yell at me."  The management of most stores is telling their employees not to force the issue.

Half Crazy K 2.0

I asked the kid working at the front door of WalMart about it, and he sighed and said, "Yeah, I know I'm supposed to tell people to wear masks, but I've given up because they just yell at me."  The management of most stores is telling their employees not to force the issue.

Yea, that's how it is here too. People also wait for the last possible second to put the mask on. I was in a restaurant to pick up a carry out order. People would wait til they got in the door to put the mask on. I wound up waiting outside to be away from people. I also saw an entire family, including little kids, outiftted in Trump buffs. Not something I normally see in the immediate Baltimore suburbs.

Closer to the MD/PA line, I've been in a convenience store where at least 1 person is holding their t-shirt over their nose while trying to order food.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Yea, that's how it is here too. People also wait for the last possible second to put the mask on. I was in a restaurant to pick up a carry out order. People would wait til they got in the door to put the mask on. I wound up waiting outside to be away from people. I also saw an entire family, including little kids, outiftted in Trump buffs. Not something I normally see in the immediate Baltimore suburbs.

Closer to the MD/PA line, I've been in a convenience store where at least 1 person is holding their t-shirt over their nose while trying to order food.

Sounds like my part of MI. My son sees people at his retail workplace pull their masks down as soon as they are in the door. Or wander around with dick noses. A month ago a woman at my cancer center was yakking on the phone with her mask completely off. It totally sucks staying home except for medical appointments and outdoor workouts either solo or with my spouse or kid, then not even feeling safe in those environments.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Half Crazy K 2.0

zoom-zoom, so many dick noses here too. I'm also convinced that it is impossible for people to yap on the phone in the grocery store while wearing a mask. Usually they have to do this right in front of a popular item (like milk)--thanks for spreading your germs and blocking off an entire shelf.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

zoom-zoom, so many dick noses here too. I'm also convinced that it is impossible for people to yap on the phone in the grocery store while wearing a mask. Usually they have to do this right in front of a popular item (like milk)--thanks for spreading your germs and blocking off an entire shelf.

Sometimes I really miss simple trips to the grocery store -- but I've heard so many accounts like this that I'm pretty quickly thankful that my DH is content to go early every Sun. AM. Maybe we're just more hyper-aware of it, but it seems like the pandemic has unfortunately made people MORE self-centered, instead of less. At least in the US.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Masks and outdoors. I got to experience this yesterday. I did my first race in 9 months. I picked the wrong one. It was really small, maybe 40 people, but not chip timed & used a mass start. A "mask zone" was established that was basically a park pavilion & the start area. Masks were not required on the course. What this meant was the second the starting whistle blew, majority of masks were ripped off. There was no distancing at that point. Just leave them on for the minute it takes to spread out, really not that hard. It felt like there was so much focus on the start/finish area that other things were totally ignored, like making sure participants stay away from one another. I wound up telling a tween boy he needed to maintain at least 6 feet of space from me--either he needed to pass me & maintain his speed (no more of this pass me, slow way down so I catch up, then speed up cause he got passed, etc) or stay back, I didn't care which.

Maybe it’s time to get realistic...you are outdoor and I assume runners had their temperature checked before entering the start line? - very low risk. We had mass outdoor protest marches in the middle of lockdown with no social distancing.....and no spike.

Imo it’s the bars and restaurants that will be the super spreaders from what I’ve experienced in the last couple of months.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Maybe it’s time to get realistic...you are outdoor and I assume runners had their temperature checked before entering the start line? - very low risk. We had mass outdoor protest marches in the middle of lockdown with no social distancing.....and no spike.

Imo it’s the bars and restaurants that will be the super spreaders from what I’ve experienced in the last couple of months.

Those protests are organized and follow strict social distancing guidelines and protocols established and approved by their respective governing authority. Temperature checks aren't a good indicator according to my local school district as it is too late of a sign of a positive test.

Bars are DEFINATELY a super spreader and so is church. Nevada has a 50% capacity limit for restaurants but a 50 person limit on churches. It has even been ruled on by the US Supreme Court.  So those super spreaders exist. I don't think there has been a single outbreak tied to a grocery store so why we have to wear masks there is beyond me just because of how safe they are.

Like I said before. Joe Biden is going to fix this all. It's already been predicted he will win. It's the only thing I'm looking forward to. No more mask mandates under Biden 2020 which is the only reason I'm voting for him. To remove the mask mandates and protect us like the government is setup to do. Donald Trump hasn't done anything to protect us.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Half Crazy K 2.0

No temp check, no symptom screening. Relied on people not to show up sick. To be fair, none of the local races are doing any screening.

I don't have a lot of faith in contact tracing, so I find it hard to say with certainty there were no cases from the outdoor protests (at least in my area). I saw a lot of fake mask wearing in the local ones--people were taking them off to talk to others or yell. Maryland had a spike starting in early July and it was in the younger demographic. Our governor asked people who attended a protest to get tested. Did they? Who knows? The info provided to the public from contact tracing has been minimal. They mention a few activities reported by those testing positive & type of employment. But those are offered in isolation, so you can't draw any conclusions from it.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Does anyone from US want to move to Sweden?

They are so cool, no lockdown as they know how to act responsibly. 👍

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Running Problem

Problem Child

only if the CDC doesn't matter there. They said breathing causes COVID 19 to spread so we could have a lot more deaths happen if we all have to stop breathing. I should go first.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/cdc-covid-guidance-coronavirus-transmitted-by-breathing/

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Was that sarcasm? The few articles I've read were pretty critical of their "let the weak die" strategy.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Feeling the growl again

Trump supporters don’t deserve respect. They actively put the lives of others at risk.

The irony of you trashing Trump supporters with a string of stereotyping adjectives, then performing such stereotyping yourself, clearly escapes you.  The intellectual laziness is exhausting.  This is why we can't have a reasonable discussion.

Let's remember 6 months ago the experts told us the goal was to "flatten the curve".  Well, after a couple close calls in defined geographies, we've done that.  But the goal post have moved.  Why?  When was the last time you heard "flatten the curve"?  What is success now?  Are you expecting zero risk?  Because that's not realistic.  But again, what is the goal?  What does success look like?  Because apparently the experts were wrong.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Good post by Spaniel. Unfortunately that discussion requires nuance, which doesn't exist anymore. Thank you social media.

While you're here - I read up a lot on the distribution of the vaccine after your post, which is fascinating stuff. I have been an optimist this entire time though: we have continued to find solutions to problems that seemed impossible just a few months ago. Maybe the cold storage for mass vaccination is a bridge too far, but if we can at least get it to the most populous centers, that must solve some of the problem. The other thing I've been reading a lot about is herd immunity. It does seem like there's a decent probability the ratio needed for that is lower than initially expected. It's still a bar we may not want to reach as a society without a vaccine, but gives me hope that we may get there faster than we thought next year.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19)