The COVID-19 Wild West Thread (Read 601 times)

Feeling the growl again

No, we can't have a reasonable discussion because you continue to defend a guy who is responsible for the unnecessary deaths of 200k Americans. He KNEW what we were facing at the beginning of the year and lied to us all. He continues to lie. THERE ARE TAPES (video, even). And his sycophants eat this shit up and blame everyone else for our nation's woes.

We never flattened the curve. Not nationwide. Some states continue to rise. We're still on the first wave. NZ is preparing to open up again. They did it right -- twice. They get to open. We cannot open because of too damned many American exceptionalists in red hats. And we have no consistent leadership at the top. It's embarrassing. We're the shithole nation no one will visit and we aren't welcome in most of the world.

You know what really sucks? Reading daily comments such as "only old people, disabled, and people with underlying conditions are at risk"...and being one of those people. And knowing the the majority of my community would like to see me sacrificed for herd immunity. I didn't spend the last 3.5 years losing parts of 2 organ systems over 4 surgeries, and undergo months of permanently damaging/disfiguring poisoning and radiation and countless uncomfortable, risky, and humiliating procedures...and missing time with friends and family and fearing for my very existence...for this. 2020 was the year I was getting my life back and registering for my full array of races. This fucking sucks. You have no idea.

Well, in addition to simply regurgitating they typical list of Trump supporter adjectives and labeling nearly half the population as simply dumber that you...without providing any actual supportive evidence to back such an intellectually lazy broad-based labeling of people...this reply sort of sums it up.  Haven't flattened the curve?  Have you actually looked at the John Hopkins tracker?  Nationally we had a March/April spike, a decline, a late June/July spike, it's been down, and now it's pretty flat.  Right now I'm not aware of any place in the country where the healthcare system is at risk of collapse.  This was literally the point of "flatten the curve".   That was the bill we were sold, there should be little surprise that people are now challenging the overall objectives given the jobs and livelihoods at risk or already lost.

That said, I do sympathize with you.  We nearly lost my dad to post-surgery sepsis right before this all broke out.  He literally got out of the care facility the day before they locked it down because I worked my a$$ off to make it happen.  Both of my parents are extraordinarily high risk for this, they have been quarantined ever since March.  I took my kids to visit them before live school opened back up because we had been isolated enough to risk it, and once school started I couldn't do it again until either vaccine or middle summer 2021.  So they have zero connections to live people now.  For months.  And it sucks.

But NZ...really?  A tiny island country which can't stamp it out and you're comparing that to the US which is essentially analagous to all of continental Europe which is similarly experiencing a resurgance?

If you feel this nation is such a sh**hole perhaps you should leave.  That's an option, you know.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Well, in addition to simply regurgitating they typical list of Trump supporter adjectives and labeling nearly half the population as simply dumber that you...without providing any actual supportive evidence to back such an intellectually lazy broad-based labeling of people...this reply sort of sums it up.  Haven't flattened the curve?  Have you actually looked at the John Hopkins tracker?  Nationally we had a March/April spike, a decline, a late June/July spike, it's been down, and now it's pretty flat.  Right now I'm not aware of any place in the country where the healthcare system is at risk of collapse.  This was literally the point of "flatten the curve".   That was the bill we were sold, there should be little surprise that people are now challenging the overall objectives given the jobs and livelihoods at risk or already lost.

That said, I do sympathize with you.  We nearly lost my dad to post-surgery sepsis right before this all broke out.  He literally got out of the care facility the day before they locked it down because I worked my a$$ off to make it happen.  Both of my parents are extraordinarily high risk for this, they have been quarantined ever since March.  I took my kids to visit them before live school opened back up because we had been isolated enough to risk it, and once school started I couldn't do it again until either vaccine or middle summer 2021.  So they have zero connections to live people now.  For months.  And it sucks.

But NZ...really?  A tiny island country which can't stamp it out and you're comparing that to the US which is essentially analagous to all of continental Europe which is similarly experiencing a resurgance?

If you feel this nation is such a sh**hole perhaps you should leave.  That's an option, you know.

Thank you.  It's posts/attitudes like the one to which you responded that are creating all the divisiveness in the country.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Half Crazy K 2.0

Spaniel, I feel really dumb when I try to use the Hopkins tracker. I tried looking at state level data and just couldn't seem to do it. Granted, this is all for me to look at personally. I work for one of their affiliates, so I get multiple e-mails with updates.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Thank you.  It's posts/attitudes like the one to which you responded that are creating all the divisiveness in the country.

Right. Because the "Trump 2020: Fuck Your Feelings" and confederate flag on a home in my neighborhood are fine and dandy. No divisiveness there.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

rlopez

Yeah, I'm sorry. but no. That is not even remotely what is creating "all" the divisiveness in the country. Trump goes on and on and on unchecked with the horrible awful stuff (sometime totally bananas lies, sometimes sick reveling in the suffering he is causing others) stoked on by Fox and Friends... but yeah, that has nothing to do with it. Pam Bondi goes on to praise the white kid who killed people in Kenosha as "protecting his city" when in fact he drove in from Illinois. I think this is perhaps divisive.

Look around everywhere. There's a lot of of this going around. To bring this back to COVID, 200.000+ are dead and until my last day at my store, I was having to kick people out who refused to mask up. Literally the least someone can do, even as a courtesy, but nope. All the divisiveness is elsewhere... the other side? Not really.

Jesus wept.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

To bring this back to COVID, 200.000+ are dead and until my last day at my store, I was having to kick people out who refused to mask up. Literally the least someone can do, even as a courtesy, but nope. All the divisiveness is elsewhere... the other side? Not really.

A faction in MI has tried to have Gov. Whitmer recalled because they don't like having their "freedoms" limited for the good of the entire state (early-on we were in the top 3 states with active cases, but for several months near the bottom, per capita -- thanks to Whitmer's aggressive handling of the situation, in spite of being deemed "that woman" by the POTUS and having PPE orders confiscated). When that failed they put together a petition to remove her powers to declare EOs, primarily because they don't want to wear masks. Parents are non-stop whingeing about their kids having to wear masks during 100% elective team sports.

When they were struggling to find enough signatures...they resorted to cheating. Because not doing the very least to protect the health of others is just such a burden to some.

~ Sarah Kay

So sorry you had to deal with anti-mask issues at your store.  I deal with that for 2000 stores.  I just choose not to blame it on people on a running forum.

Adding-  Gov. Whitmer was ridiculous from the beginning and deserved everything that she brought upon herself.  I dealt with 49 states and Michigan was the most arbitrary and nonsensical with its restrictions.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Yeah, I'm sorry. but no. That is not even remotely what is creating "all" the divisiveness in the country. Trump goes on and on and on unchecked with the horrible awful stuff (sometime totally bananas lies, sometimes sick reveling in the suffering he is causing others) stoked on by Fox and Friends... but yeah, that has nothing to do with it. Pam Bondi goes on the praise the white kid who killed people in Kenosha as "protecting his city" when in fact he drove in from Illinois. I think this is perhaps divisive.

Look around everywhere. There's a lot of of this going around. To bring this back to COVID, 200.000+ are dead and until my last day at my store, I was having to kick people out who refused to mask up. Literally the least someone can do, even as a courtesy, but nope. All the divisiveness is elsewhere... the other side? Not really.

Jesus wept.

Yeah, all that.

This partisan politicization of EVERYTHING is going to end the gravy train that is Merikuh. I'm a bit nonplussed that so many people are willing to go along with the sensationalizations, spin, and lies coming from the fringes. At the moment, most of it is coming from the Right fringe, but we all know there were times when the majority was from the Left fringe.

Wouldn't it be nice if we could ignore the fringe like we used to? Now they have a voice, and can "organize" via the ease of communication the interwebs bring.

Disease and illness didn't use to be a partisan issue, but these days EVERYTHING is. My own brother still thinks it's a hoax, because his only source of information is talk radio. He also fervently believes Leftist partisans start ALL forest fires and are coming to loot his house and take over his rural community. With no actual evidence that these things have happened anywhere (also, don't only the Bundy Cult take over rural communities? Last I heard, they were Rightist fringe...).

This CV10 outbreak is not ending anytime soon, 200k dead is a LOT, but imagine how much worse it would have been without the closures and masks. How many people have died because they couldn't work at their restaurant job, or go to a bar or theater? Half a million? More?

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Kalsarikännit

coming to loot his house and take over his rural community. 

I’m just waiting for the check that Soros sent me to clear.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Running Problem

Problem Child

Right. Because the "Trump 2020: Fuck Your Feelings" and confederate flag on a home in my neighborhood are fine and dandy. No divisiveness there.

So the ONE house on YOUR neighborhood determines everything. I think your attitude has more to do with your family not wanting to see you than COVID 19. The neighbor on your street doesn't care about your feelings, has informed you of it, and you're still upset about it. So upset you're labeling all of the people who support the current President and saying they don't deserve respect. Logical argument.

rlopez People don't want to wear a mask in your store? Is that something like not wearing a shirt or shoes in your store? I don't see how it is any different. Oh, except that your store was closed down and it might have had more to do with your local elected officials, and not people wearing masks or not wearing masks or President Donald Trump. Running your own business is hard and dealing with the general public is rough. At least people were allowed into your store with a mask. Daycares locally closed up shop even before masks were mandatory and haven't opened back up. Barbers and dentists weren't allowed to operate even WITH masks. I would like to know if any of the divisiveness was caused by your local elected officials. I know locally there is some because they aren't consistent with their own rules. "we'll open up at the end of may. Actually July. Actually I will just tell you when we will open up and I'm taking all of the control over every business. They won't be treated equally either. I'm going to pick and choose what businesses are safe to operate." So it sucks to be one of those "not chosen" businesses like Starbucks and Autozone.

I'm just waiting for the election because Joe Biden is going to fix all of this and either a vaccine is fast tracked, or the mask mandates go away and so does the coverage of COVID 19. It is my only chance at the Boston Marathon. If Donald Trump is re-elected there is no way another marathon happens for at least 18 months. I'd rather run the Boston Marathon and buy an expensive jacket than have a credit I won't use with the airlines for a year.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Half Crazy K 2.0

The neighborhood watch group in my area is falling all over themselves about making sure the kids can trick or treat this year and "no judgement:" if you don't want to participate. No way in heck do I want to have close interaction with that many people. I'm sure if they really thought about it, they could come up with safer alternatives. Honestly, with this group it seems more about the parents being upset something is different. I'm sure a 3 year old has no clue and would be go along with anything that the parent says is fun.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I think your attitude has more to do with your family not wanting to see you than COVID 19.

Since you've now brought it up at least twice -- show me where I said my family didn't want to see me. My family all lives 5-9 hours away. When I was recovering from my first major surgery and couldn't travel they came here for Christmas. I've avoided social gatherings in recent years due to chronic suppressed immune system from chemo. Now we are also avoiding travel to see family because my mom is nearly 76 and has asthma.

~ Sarah Kay

darkwave

Mother of Cats

The neighborhood watch group in my area is falling all over themselves about making sure the kids can trick or treat this year and "no judgement:" if you don't want to participate. No way in heck do I want to have close interaction with that many people. I'm sure if they really thought about it, they could come up with safer alternatives. Honestly, with this group it seems more about the parents being upset something is different. I'm sure a 3 year old has no clue and would be go along with anything that the parent says is fun.

I guess I'm confused.  Isn't Trick-or-Treating, done the traditional way, fairly safe?  Small family pods walk from house to house....I as a homeowner can set a pot of candy out and then stand back while they pick what they want?  This is even the one day of year where many people normally wear masks.

(now admittedly, the way that Halloween has evolved into inside group parties for kids....that is not a good idea this year, IMHO)

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Half Crazy K 2.0

I guess I'm confused.  Isn't Trick-or-Treating, done the traditional way, fairly safe?  Small family pods walk from house to house....I as a homeowner can set a pot of candy out and then stand back while they pick what they want?  This is even the one day of year where many people normally wear masks.

(now admittedly, the way that Halloween has evolved into inside group parties for kids....that is not a good idea this year, IMHO)

For some reason, CDC says traditional door-todoor is high risk. I can take my risk out fo the equation by just sticking a bowl of candy outside & calling it a day if I want to bother.

ETA, I assume the risk with door to door comes from being in close contact with possibly a high number of people.

Interesting that the CDC thinks there could be any sort of large race around Thanksgiving.

I can take my risk out fo the equation by just sticking a bowl of candy outside & calling it a day if I want to bother.

But that only removes risk for 1 person. The dozens of kids all picking through candy in the same bowl and gathering in groups around said bowl are not free of risk in this scenario.