The COVID-19 Wild West Thread (Read 601 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

A non-scientific opinion piece from over 30 years ago does not add much value :-)

I found an abstract for an article about which antibiotics to use for which virus--link.

Yooper3.1

I just watched Skeleton on Horseback, which can be seen in its entirety on youtube:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJMUIBEzYnI

Written by the Karel Capek in 1937 (who also coined the word "robot" 100 years ago), it's a movie about a pandemic in a fascist country.  The similarities are striking.

Just found out our county had the highest number of new reported CV19 cases in a day yesterday. Incubation period for most cases is about 4-5 days. We "relaxed" SIP officially on the 3rd, but many people relaxed themselves on Monday the 1st.

Disclaimer: Number of reported cases can also be affected by the availability of testing. If there is a significant increase in test kits and testing, then reported numbers can go up even if the actual number of cases remains flat.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Given all the knowledge on this thread about the first ammendment, I'm looking forward to the justification on why protests (which likely will be superspreader events with thousands of people in close quarters across multiple cities) are okay but church gatherings are not

Honestly, it's a good question.

The shutdowns have, IMHO, been on shaky ground from a Constitutional perspective, and I believe have been successfully challenged in some jurisdictions.  The shutdowns do have to be "narrowly tailored" (that's the legal term) so that they are only as broad as necessary to control the pandemic.  In a lot of ways, they've been a bit aggressive (again, IMHO) but the normal parties that would challenge these types of restrictions (i.e. the ACLU) have chosen to stay silent here.

I would think that the dividing line between church assemblies and the marches would be the distinction between indoor assembly and outside.

Also worth noting that there has been a consistent practice, at least in the DC area, of NOT enforcing the stay at home orders.  So it's not like assemblies of groups outside are regularly being broken up by the police, while the marches are somehow overlooked.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

mikeymike

Given all the knowledge on this thread about the first ammendment, I'm looking forward to the justification on why protests (which likely will be superspreader events with thousands of people in close quarters across multiple cities) are okay but church gatherings are not

I can't speak for everywhere but at least in MA as of May 18 church gatherings *are* ok since they were part of phase 1 reopening.

Runners run

an amazing likeness

I've not seen a public health official or executive order / notice which says the protest gatherings are "okay".  To the contrary, they've noted the risk of the events causing significant COVID-19 risk with proximity, yelling, varied mask usage, coughing from tear gas, etc.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Protests are drawing attention to police brutality and are therefore exempt from enforcement of the law.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Running Problem

Problem Child

Sorry brother. Race and COVID19 are linked in the US. 

Also, it’s cute that you have that lil chip on your shoulder about the new thread being started.

No chip. I didn’t think this was a new three and havent seen a link between race and COVID 19. Whatever you’re trying to imply or assume about me I must be missing. I just asked a simple question and apparently I need to go learn about white pro life elsewhere since the guy who asks about explaining it says he doesn’t have to explain it.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

undue monkey

havent seen a link between race and COVID 19.

Now things are starting to make sense.

MTA:

https://www.ama-assn.org/delivering-care/population-care/why-african-american-communities-are-being-hit-hard-covid-19

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Then you have not remotely been paying attention.

havent seen a link between race and COVID 19.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I guess we should know what impact mass outdoor gatherings are in the next couple of weeks.

I watched a bit of live footage in London yesterday during the march with some protesters literally inches from unarmed cops (with no masks) screaming in their faces like every single cop is a racist murderer. It was mostly peaceful, but when you get a few mindless morons chucking missiles at defenceless horses then it kind of defeats the object.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I think these are the two main parts of the answer:

I would think that the dividing line between church assemblies and the marches would be the distinction between indoor assembly and outside.

I've not seen a public health official or executive order / notice which says the protest gatherings are "okay".  To the contrary, they've noted the risk of the events causing significant COVID-19 risk with proximity, yelling, varied mask usage, coughing from tear gas, etc.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7l2ccLe4Khc

His death was horrendous, but let’s cut the crap with the “gentle giant” from the media.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

It's clear that this man is blind . . . and doesn't realize he's black.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

undue monkey

Are you one of that guy's 81 subs?

His death was horrendous, but let’s cut the crap with the “gentle giant” from the media.