The COVID-19 Wild West Thread (Read 601 times)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Are you one of that guy's 81 subs?

Yes. How did you know?

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I think these are the two main parts of the answer:

Except they're not. Here in NY, the mayor's office aggressively broke up Jewish funerals in the streets. In NJ church gatherings are only allowed up to 25 people outdoors. And when I say okay, I mean that they are not immediately breaking up all forms of gatherings like they did with the religious activities.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Except they actually probably are the two major reasons. And I’m sure you can find other examples of times when it did not exactly work out that way. Just because you can find examples does not mean it’s not the case. If you’re looking for a standard approach across the country, you won’t find it because our country lacks leadership.

Except they're not. Here in NY, the mayor's office aggressively broke up Jewish funerals in the streets. In NJ church gatherings are only allowed up to 25 people outdoors. And when I say okay, I mean that they are not immediately breaking up all forms of gatherings like they did with the religious activities.

MoBramExam

Should there be?  From a medical perspective.  How could it avoid being so broad that it would be unrealistic and ineffective.

If you’re looking for a standard approach across the country, you won’t find it...

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Should there be?  From a medical perspective.  How could it avoid being so broad that it would be unrealistic and ineffective.

It would be challenging from a legal perspective also.

A) the federal government arguably doesn't have that authority; it's reserved for the states.

B) that whole "narrowly tailored" requirement means that you can't impose the same restrictions in a region that has very few Covid cases and is low population density as you can in NYC.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

mikeymike

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7l2ccLe4Khc

His death was horrendous, but let’s cut the crap with the “gentle giant” from the media.

You're really going with "he was no angel"?

None of the media I consume has portrayed him as a "gentle giant" and that's not really relevant. He didn't deserve to be murdered on the street by an officer of the state.

Runners run

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

You're really going with "he was no angel"?

None of the media I consume has portrayed him as a "gentle giant" and that's not really relevant. He didn't deserve to be murdered on the street by an officer of the state.

Did I say he deserved to be murdered? Absolutely not, with any worldwide media then I’ll always look at neutral.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

mikeymike

Did I say he deserved to be murdered? Absolutely not, with any worldwide media then I’ll always look at neutral.

Then what was your point?

Runners run

CalBears

I think the point is obvious - what good you think is going to happen when you make one bad choice after another, after another, after another...?

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I’ve already made my point. 👍

Prince of Fatness

I think the point is obvious - what good you think is going to happen when you make one bad choice after another, after another, after another...?

What’s obvious is the victim blaming.

Not at it at all. 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

No, there probably should not be. I was simply responding to a post that implied that because one area does things differently than others, nobody is right.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

What’s obvious is the victim blaming.

Just curious...have you ever travelled out of US and exprienced other cultures?

Prince of Fatness

Just curious...have you ever travelled and exprienced other cultures?

What does that have to do with victim blaming?

Not at it at all. 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

What does that have to do with victim blaming?

Nothing really....I guess I’m just curious if you’ve ever travelled outside of the US?