Help! Bad sleep, warm flushes, and crappy runnning (Read 711 times)

I was really encouraged by the number of women who responded to the thread about being an "older" runner. I'm having a rough patch and could use either some encouraging or a kick in the rear. I'm 42 and waking up with warm flushes in the night (not quite a hot flash) and I'm just wiped out from not sleeping which is making running really hard. I've been missing runs because I can't seem to find the energy to scrape myself up and throw myself out the door. Any advice would be lovely. ( I just tried melatonin and it wigged my system out, but I'm open to other supplementals.) Thanks in advance, Pam
      I haven't gotten to "that" stage yet, I'm 35. So I can't quite relate, but if you don't have enough energy to run, what about putting on your running gear, and head out for a walk? Perhaps while you're walking, you might just scrape together enough energy to run a little bit, or if not, at least you're walking. I find that even if I have zero energy, I force myself out the door anyway (I have a chocolate lab who herds me out the door so it's not too difficult to get outside!!). Just getting out there more often has given me more energy day to day. Are you stressed out about anything? I know when I get super stressed at work, I don't sleep well but I'm always tired (from lack of decent sleep), but the nights that I run, I find I get more restful sleep. ??? I don't really have any great words of wisdom for you, I know! Sorry, and good luck!!

Michelle

hellnotholy

I'm about 15 years older than you so I have definitely "been there, done that"! While everyone's experience of this varies a lot, in my case, sleep deprivation was the main impact of going through this lovely life event. Even now I never sleep through the night, but I've trained myself to go back to sleep pretty much however many times I may wake up during the night. (Usually works, but not always.) There was certainly a time that I thought menopause and not sleeping would be the reason I finally gave up running...but then I decided that it would not. I made myself get out and run at least 3 times a week, however exhausted and awful I felt. Maybe it was only a glacially slow 3 mile run, but it was a run. Sometimes I went through weeks that I slept better and sometimes worse, but eventually it all evened out and my runs got better, too. Of course now I definitely see and feel the payback for persevering and I bet you will, too. Good luck. It does get better!
          Thanks for the encouragement - I'll try going out for the walk even if I don' think I can run. You're right - fresh air always helps. I got my 3 in today and that's better than nothing.

SMART Approach

Valerian root is very helpful for sleep. Also, 5HTP helps you relax a bit and can be helpful. During the day if you need to reduce stress and wind down a bit yet increase alertness, L-Theanine (derived from green tea) is a nice supplement.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

finney

Resident pinniped

If you're not sleeping well and feeling lethargic, I don't think pushing yourself is the way to go. I also go with the "go for a walk" mentality. Or a bike ride, or something else a bit less physically and/or mentally challening than running. I will skip runs if I'm not feeling like it's a good idea (I'm not talking about "I don't feel like it", I'm talking about "I don't feel well enough"). When you feel like that your body is trying to tell you something and you should probably listen.
                Tchuck - Thanks for the tips, I'll give the 5HTP a try when the melatonin has cleared out of my system. I haven't heard about the other stuff - I'll check them out. Finney - I'm trying to listen to my body when it says to slow down. I've worked so hard to get where I'm at that I'm afraid I'll lose too much ground if I don't just suck it up run sometimes. I used to walk a lot - maybe I should get OK with doing walk/run for a while.

A Saucy Wench

I am not yet at the menopausal age (I dont think Confused) but I have had hot flashes/night sweats/insomnia for years ..since puberty. Very hormone related. I dread menopause. Things that help me somewhat (in addition to all the normal insomnia stuff)... -Avoiding evening exercise. I run with my team in the summer on tuesday evenings at 5 and I just know sleep that night will be hot and interrupted. -Cut way back on refined carbohydrates, especially sugar, If I want dessert, try to get it at lunch rather than dinner. I try to make my evening meal protein and veggies..no starch or sugar.I sleep better and I sleep cooler. -Have a 2nd bed set up and ready. Switching to a bed with cool sheets can often relax the flush enough that I can sleep through it. If I get a bad sweat I get up and let myself start to cool off and then slip into the cold bed. -Run early...seems counterintuitive when sleep is the issue, but it seems to keep the fluctuations at bay better. Once you start it is easier to keep going. Running on no sleep sucks the first mile or 2, but it rapidly gets better and it gives you the kickstart to keep you from dragging through your day or worse, relying on caffeine to get through and starting the insomnia cycle again

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

I'm 43 and dealing with the same thing. Cry I do find that I'm able to sleep better if I do make myself get out there and run, I'm not running near the miles I was a year ago but if I do get out and get a couple miles in, I do feel better. I miss sleeping the way I used to sleep back in college. I could sleep through *anything*. Roommates, hurricanes ... ::wistfully recalling the good old days:: Teresa
                      Yeah - I used to think that once the kids were big I could sleep again. HA!Jokes on me! Gotta love those hormones Tongue Smile
                      jb944

Chicago RnR 1/2 Marathon

I'm 51 and won't go on HRT for a number of reasons, so I've been dealing with this for awhile. I found that soy milk lessens the hot flashes, so I treat myself to a glass of Silk (light) chocolate soy milk every evening. If you want Valerian, there is a Celestrial Seasonings tea available that is called Sleepy Time Extra, and it has the valerian in it. My husband is a runner, so I've confiscated all of his tech T-shirts as night shirts, since they wick the moisture away. I also adhere to a sleep schedule - go to bed at the same time, get up at the same time, and NEVER take a nap during the day. I'm just coming off of an injury and starting to run again, and I've noticed that I'm sleeping better now that I get the workouts in on a regular basis. Good luck!
                          Does the sleepy time tea work for you? I tried the chocolate soy milk, but it didn't agree with my system. I haven't gone anywhere near HRT because of how sensitive I am to all herbals and drugs. I guess I'll buy a box of tea and give it a shot. Smile