Can I use old shoes to run on sand? (Read 859 times)

I have a pair of older running shoes that I stopped using because I was having shin issues. New shoes cleared it up but now I'm going to be heading into a situation with no pavement for the next while and my current decent shoes are quite new and I'd rather not get em wreaked since it will be wet and muddy and there and pretty much all of my running is going to need to be done on a sandy beach. I read somewhere that since sand is what it is, it isn't as important to have fresh shoes on sand. Whaddya think? Will I get away with the old shoes? The only other running option would be on a few trails that are wooded but graveled most places. I would consider running there but don't do trail running now and I'm wondering that my current Brooks radius shoes won't hold up to trail running. I'm not even sure how much time/energy/fitness I'll have left for running (I'll be doing physical work involving heavy bush bashing and hilly dense forest hiking all day everyday for 8 hours, sometimes longer) so I'm not sure if I can justify/afford putting out cash on trail special shoes when I might not end up running as much as I'd hoped anyway. Thoughts?
    The Graduates - a community of post C25K runners!

Started Running 21 April 2008

2008 Running Goals
    • Finish C25K 22 Jun 2008
    • Run 5K 43:29 29 Jun 2008
    • Complete a 10K fun run
      I have done some running on shoes past their time on pavement and had no problems with them on trails. However my opinion is that if your shoes are not nuetral...in other words if the are motion control then perhaps it is not such a good idea... point being that if it is a neutral shoe that is broken down for pavement it isn't offerring the cushioning you would want/need on pavement BUT a softer running surface reduces the need for cushioning... yet if your shoe is designed to offer some sort of support (arch, motion control etc) then a broken down shoe wouldn't be offering you the necessary support anymore no matter what the surface... -thats my 2 cents

Hoping to Run Again :-(

Well, my first reaction is to be careful you don't bring back your previous shin splints by wearing those same shoes again - especially in a situation where you know you have to be on your feet all day every day. I know it's tough to think about getting your newer shoes in a muddy mess. I solved this by having an identical outdoor pair for dirt/mud and an indoor for treadmill. I'm in rural Georgia so one step outside the door here and you're gonna meet up with red mud. I would probably take both pairs and experiment a bit - but if your previous injury was shoe-related, I wouldn't touch those ones again. Just my 2c.
        ~ Fly ~
        Only as much as I dream can I be.
        veggies on the run
          I don't consider my shoes broken in until they are disgustingly dirty Big grin
          2008 Goals Don't attack the guy that passes me like I'm standing still when I think I'm running fast...I can't catch him anyway and I'd just look silly
          xor

Running on sand may sound like a good idea and sand is *soft*, but running on sand... especially the beach... is REALLY HARD WORK. And for beaches especially, some are not at all good for running. If it was just a question of "can I wear old shoes", I'd probably say yes... provided you've done homework to ensure the beach surface is good for running - not too slanty, no hidden holes, etc. However, you had what's basically an injury. And you want to go back to the shoes that may have caused it. If shoes caused me issues, I'd burn them. Bottom line from me: nope.

However, you had what's basically an injury. And you want to go back to the shoes that may have caused it. If shoes caused me issues, I'd burn them. Bottom line from me: nope.
              agreed....
                agreed....
                Have you considered going barefoot? Running on sand barefoot just sounds wonderful to me and probably better for you than old shoes that caused you injuries in the past.
                You may find my running Vlog at Run Cast TV and my running log here
                  Sorry, but running barefoot in the sand, as fun as it sounds, is a really bad idea. Wet sand is super hard and dry sand is abrasive, either one will do a number on your feet if you try to run on it barefoot. Good, well cushioned shoes are mandatory. Also, try to avoid any steeply sloped areas (near the water). Running a highly cambered surface is asking for ITB trouble. We vacation on Lake Michigan several times a year and all my running is done on the road, not on the beach. Tom

On On

I have run for miles and miles on the beach.... with out injury. I have run miles and miles on cambered surfaces..... with out injury. I have run miles and miles on trails ....... with out injury. I have put thousands of miles on the same pair of shoes ....... with out injury. Just get out and run and stop worrying about these things.

A Saucy Wench

I have run for miles and miles on the beach.... with out injury. I have run miles and miles on cambered surfaces..... with out injury. I have run miles and miles on trails ....... with out injury. I have put thousands of miles on the same pair of shoes ....... with out injury. Just get out and run and stop worrying about these things.
                      Thats nice for you. Doesnt work for everyone.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Looking at what limited data is in your running log...your training techniques are not exactly mainstream and probably won't be suitable for most runners. Tom
                          Consider yourself lucky (or smart) that you found a pair of shoes that help correct a previous problem. I'd stick with them regardless of surface. There's no upside to going back to something that didn't work in the past.

If your shoes broke you before, then you shouldn't run in them again. They're retired; time to recycle them. I'd just wear your normal shoes. You can just spray any mud or sand off of them with a garden hose when you get done running. http://www.runtowin.com/tips/running-on-the-beach.html

Run to Win
                            25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

jules2

If your shoes broke you before, then you shouldn't run in them again. They're retired; time to recycle them. I'd just wear your normal shoes. You can just spray any mud or sand off of them with a garden hose when you get done running. http://www.runtowin.com/tips/running-on-the-beach.html
                              I've got no real experience running on sand but I have though running barefoot could be fun. With regards to the garden hose look at my profile, although you might want to skip the cigar!

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.

xor

I can tell you this from long, long experience... Running barefoot on the beach sounds a lot cooler than it actually is. Now, if you are a 'barefoot runner', that's great. If you are not, beware sand. Sand hides things. Like glass. Sharp rocks. Sticks. Thorns. Etc. Also, the beach can have a cool running surface. Or be spectacularly hot, depending on the type of sand and exposure. Anyway, I always run in shoes. Always. And never on a severely cambered (slanty) beach.