Getting back to where I used to be (Read 623 times)

Slow-smooth-fast

I have been out for about 10 weeks now, well not right anyway. I have been seeing a physio lately, figured it was the only way once and for all to sort my leg pain out. Anyway in just a couple of sessions my leg does feel like it is on the mend, acupuncture etc. The thing is I feel like a donkey now, haveing been out for such a long time. What do you guys recommend about getting back to where I was, in terms of mileage accumulation etc. I dont want to get an injury again, and I am scared of pushing it too far. I went out for a 4 miler tonight, in the hills. It was very difficult as I have never run trail before, though I kno wthat it will be beneficial in the long term. Would trail running have a detrimental effect on my recent ilio tibial band syndrome or should I just stick to the road running for now?

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

Now that was a bath...

Eddy, I'm coming back form a stress fracture so I can empathise. You can check my log to see where I am at. The last two runs were too much for my body (both in distance and incline). I felt it in my leg and got stabbing pains yesterday. I think the best thing that I have learnt is to listen to my body. At the first sign of a problem back off a little. I am hoping that an extra day off and a reduction back to 6km runs will keep me running. I also found that running alternate days was a godsend as it gave my body time to adapt to running again. As for the trails - I don't know that answer to that one. The softness of trails would be good but hilly, uneven trails may be a problem on knees and ankles so I can see why you are asking. Most importantly though - good luck with your return to running!
    • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
    • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.

Prophet!

i've been doing most of my runs on grassy/dirt paths on the side of the pavement...for awhile i can really feel the uneven ground on my legs, they were definitely more sore afterward compared to road running. But like everything, your body will adjust i think it does help in the long run by increasing your leg + foot strength. backing off doesn't mean you have to stop running as long as nothing is broken or fractured (some people still run even with those conditions :rollSmile whenever i feel like something is not quite right i do one or two days of recovery runs at super slow pace and then you'd still be able to get your mileage in...

Slow-smooth-fast

cheers for the advice. Claire it looks like you and I did too much too soon eh. Good luck with your injury and rehabilitation too.

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Repeat this mantra 3 times before any post-injury / long lay-off workout: "You can't get it all back in one run. So don't try to." "You can't get it all back in one run. So don't try to." "You can't get it all back in one run. So don't try to." Also, don't be afraid to mix in walking. Cheers, Jeff

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.