What's your favorite cross-training exercise? (Read 2231 times)

Coaching youth soccer seems to wear me out more than the kids, even though I am now running between 3 and 5 miles a day several days a week. My other passion is roller hockey (can rollerblade for free instead of paying for ice time). Speaking of hockey....the season is about to start soon.
    JakeKnight

What's your favorite cross-training exercise? Drinking beer. And sex. Unfortunately I don't get to do either often enough. I've been working on a way to combine the two, to really burn some calories and work the core. No luck so far. I'm open to suggestions.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
      -----------------------------

Depends on the time of year for me. This time of year, when I need something different I hop on my road bike. Something about passing cars going downhill, 15 mph over the speed limit, screaming around corners... Err.. Well yeah it's good clean fun. =-) When the skies darken, and the snow flies...well that's a different story. At that point I'm all about the nordic skiing. I don't go in for this crazy alpine stuff, but if you want a good workout then the cross country skiing will rock you. I got a little cocky in high school after having a good running season and switching to skiing for the winter..boy was I in for a surprise.

~J

Another big Turbo Jam fan here. Can't say I've ever burned 1000 calories in an hour - I think my max was 600 in 40 minutes though. Still a great burn. But I put a lot into it that day.
          WongerChi

Rock Climbing - Spring through Fall, then XC skiing in winter. Squash throughout the year, although I've not played too much this year for one reason and another.
              I have a Nordic Track cross country skier and a Concept II rowing machine I alternate using on non-running days. They were my main form of exercise before I started running again in April. They give a great workout.
                I know it sounds boring, but I have to go with the EFX. It is one of the few machines that actually simulates running. I also enjoy lifting weights. It is a nice change.
                "The will to win, is nothing without the will to prepare"
                  I'd have to go with lifting weights. Love the pumped feeling I get!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Yoga...I love yoga. And when you get in to the more advanced stuff, it is way harder & a way better workout than it appears. This winter though, it's back to the gym for lots of strength training & toning. I want rockenmamof5 abs!! Big grin Pretty sure it isn't going to happen, but I can still dream!!
                    So do not get tired and stop trying. - Hebrews 12:3
                    Wingz

Professional Noob

I want rockenmamof5 abs!!
                      LOL! Me too! I'm sure they're under here somewhere... okay... waaaay under here... Wink

Roads were made for journeys...

LOL! Me too! I'm sure they're under here somewhere... okay... waaaay under here... Wink
                        Yeah, if I could just get my rolls to match up with my rectus abdominis muscle, I would have those abs too!!!! Wink
                        So do not get tired and stop trying. - Hebrews 12:3
                          They say abs are made in the kitchen, get your bodyfat down enough and they will pop right out ( though I'm sure the days where I did a few hundred crunches each day helped lol though now I'm lucky to do 50 crunches 3 days a week)

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

I use an exercise bike to do 15-20 miles on days when I don't want to go out on the roads (my shins are getting very sore from road running, even while wearing orthotics!) There isn't any lit green areas to run, where I live, so my grass/trail runninghas to wait til the weekends during the winter! Has anyone any idea how much benefit I would be getting from using the exercise bike?
                            "You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel" - Simpson, Homer J.
                              They say abs are made in the kitchen, get your bodyfat down enough and they will pop right out ( though I'm sure the days where I did a few hundred crunches each day helped lol though now I'm lucky to do 50 crunches 3 days a week)
                              Unfortunately so are cakes! I wish I was a bit more disciplined. I've never been able to get into doing crunches. I applaud your abs too rockenmamof5. If I get time when I'm not running I like a nice bike ride in the park. I also like Yoga. The best i've found is Bikrim yoga. It's a bit more hardcore then normal yoga. You are in a heated room and it's an hour and a half long. If you want to lose weight it's amazing! It's also really good for your skin as you sweat out the crap and drink about a litre of water when you do it.
                                A bit of everything, cycling, weght lifting but if I had time it would be hiking and more hiking and did I mention hiking?
                                I would rather wear out than rust out. - Helen Klein You create your own universe as you go along. - Winston Churchill